View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 08:32 PM
not sure Jenny my life was pretty stable with parents still together and still are to this day.
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Not sure what constitutes a secure upbringing but I would say that I probably had one...so that theory is out the window.

We had a dog since I was very small...gerbils...toads, etc. All the kiddie kind of pets. I was taught to respect animals by my father...any toads caught were fun to look at or play with but had to be let go where they were caught...no keeping any wild animals, etc. Fed strays that came around, that type of thing.

There was never a question for me on whether I would have a dog or not. I would have been a vet had I have wanted to spend 7 more years in school when I graduated.

IMO it's the unconditional love you get from them, the entertainment they provide and I think there are people out there that just have an innate love for animals.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I was brought up with lots of animals - I have always loved them - because it dosen't matter what you look like how much money you have they are there always (so long as you feed them!) . I suffer from really bad shyness and people just don't have the time to get to know me or (have overhead people say) shes too quiet don't like quiet people - animals don't care if you find it difficult to talk.

Not every-one in my family loves having animals and we were all brought up the same - I don't know why some people bond to them and others don't.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 10:41 PM
unconditional love... thats the word i was looking for maybe some people jus dont appreciate it
fosters
Dogsey Junior

28-03-2005, 10:55 PM
i think its just in you. when i was little i always wanted a dog but my family would never have one we only had cats. but with in a month of getting my own house with OH we went to battersea dogs home and got our fosters.

i must say that when we had to have fosters pts me and OH thought we would wait a few months to get over it but with in the week i was looking because the house wasn't the same, so i know that i could never live without a 4 legged friend in my home.(could live without the kids though)
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 08:22 AM
We always had dogs or A Dog as kids, and yet my eldest sister absolutely hates dogs, to the point where she rarely visits us. My youngest sister has had dogs, but they last about 2 months max. before rehoming them, my next sister down has a border collie but to be honest I think if she had her way, she would have been rehomed too, but the kids love her to bits so she hasn't the heart to do it.

Both my mum and dad love dogs, they haven't got one though as they do travel alot and think it unfair to keep one, so quite often my dad will call in and take a dog or two out for a walk.

I think you either are an animal lover or not.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 08:33 AM
We never really had many pets growing up. Deffinately not dogs, as my mum is terrified of them!
Our first pet was our cat, Smokey, in 1989.
Then since then i've had a few hamsters and fish, and 2 rabbits.

Then when I was 14, my Mum bought Kingsley for me as a surprise.
She loves hm, because he is tiny!
She even loves Teagan, because she met her as a puppy, and got to see her grow up.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I think it is the unconditional love that dogs give, No matter what state your in whatever you are doing they will always come to you. Once I was changing a gearbox on a car I was underneath the car and our Shep (BC) came and crawled underneath with me and lay beside me, now that is love. We can learn a lot from a dog. In the past we have had numerous cats, small furries etc but you can't interact with them as you do a dog.

And I am wary of anyone who doesn't like animals, (unless they have had a bad experience).

Ian
Gill W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I have always been surrounded by dogs. When I was a kid, we had Border Collies and a Rough Collie. Loved helping to feed them, groom them etc. The 'novelty' just never wore off for me. Have always had an affinity with dogs.

When I was 8, my mum and dad split up and me and my brother had to go and live with my mum. Only Mandy my Rough Collie was alive at that time so she came with us. One day, we had come home to find she had done a bit of diarrohea on the kitchen lino and my mum then said she was going to rehome her. I tried to run away with her the following day(only got as far as the playpark 5 mins down the road but I hid behind the sand pit) They found us a few hours later and the next day when I got home from school, she was gone I never, ever forgave her for that and haven't spoken to her since we went to live with my dad when I was about 10.

I just couldn't imagine life without dogs. the rest of my family can either take them or leave them - they like my dogs but don't have any pets of their own. When Brook (my gold cocker and soulmate) had to be PTS last June, my family just said "oh thats a shame, but you still have 2 more". It was my dogs I had to turn to for comfort - obviously they don't know it but they helped me so much just by being there. Even now, 10 months on, when I randomly burst into tears thinking about him, they are on my knee in a flash and licking the tears away.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Dogs for the most part are what we would like all humans close to us to be. Like many I had a difficult childhood, my father was a weekend alcoholic, as a child I spoke of my fears and troubles to Paddy a Lab x Alsation, for various reasons I never spoke to humans about my father and his drunken rantings.Mostly afraid that he would find out. Through out life my dogs have been amongst my best friends, I learned from them as a child to get up and get on with it. There is an element of truth in Jenny saying upbringing can play a part in how you feel toward other living creatures. I don't know the complete answer as to why I love my dogs, I'm just greatful that I can.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >