View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't think i ever spotted this thread before............

I have always wanted a dog as i wasn't allowed one as a child but no particular breed had struck me to the point where i wanted to research and get one until and i'm ashamed to say it really...we watched the film 'cats and dogs' my three year old absolutely fell for the Beagle 'lou' on it and so did my husband and i, I felt Harvey was a bit young and so i told him that we would spend a while learning about them and see about getting one when he was older,

Well, research i did, for 4 long years,my son saved up £50 towards the 'doggie of his dreams' (we often joke that Harvey paid for Alfie's toenails ) He bought books with his pocket money which i helped him to read and learn about the breed, by this time he was 7 years old and his want for a Beagle had never waned,not once,I knew he would make a fine companion for his dog and that he had learnt that you don't just get a dog 'just like that' without prior thought and preparation,Everything i had found out about the breed seemed to suit us down to the ground,we went on a list and so it was time.........Alfie came into our lives and we haven't looked back,he is one of the best things we ever did :smt007 :smt007

Now when i saw Daisy it was different,it makes me sad even now to remember.........
We had planned to get a bitch to show from a good breeder but i happened to see Daisy advertised on the internet :smt022 She was a young bitch of 14 months the owner was selling her and her brother,she looked a good example of the breed but quite thin and there was something sad in her eyes :smt022
(She was as cheap as chips at £250 compared to a very pricey Alfie) I knew that somone unscrupulous would buy her and breed from her,something was telling me to contact them,i just couldn't get her out of my head even though she was not quite what i was looking for i had become attached to what i consider to be 'my breed' and couldn't forget this little girl,
We made a very long drive up North to see her and the moment i walked into this very posh house and laid eyes on this emaciated but 'sweet little girl' i knew i wouldn't leave without her,There was however worse to come :smt022

She was so thin and had no kind of bond or recognition for her owner and i spotted her slap happy toddler dragging Daisy around, then i learnt she had been mated at 10 months old by her Brother,he was sold on the monday,pups gone on the thursday and daisy that weekend..........I promptly coughed up the cash,asked for her lead,she didn't have one got her KC papers which had never been transfered and got out of there,
She was full of delight to jump in the car with us and didn't once look back or cry for her so called owners.

We learnt many things about Daisy's previous life as the weeks unravelled,she was scared of men,cowered and wet herself if any came in the house or if she saw a Green coat ???? she was scared of dogs.......she had never met any,she was scared of bins,leafs,wind,you name it but there was one thing she loved.......... US

I gave up my dream temporarily of getting a show bitch but i gained so much more in Daisy who now at the age of almost 3 is a changed girl,
She no longer does any of these awful things,she is healthy,happy and trusting,She loves men now and doesn't wet herself out of fear,all Daisy had needed was basic care and love, its such a shame she never had it before,
I like to think that she doesn't remember what happened to her and her life really began when she came here with us she is also a lovely example of her breed if a little shy,showing isn't her thing but i don't mind,Its a joy just to own her.
She certainly lives up to her kennel name 'Sweet Brooky'

Hopefully we will have our show bitch next year and if i have my way a whole pack of the little devils............Beagles will always be my first love .
Arcticsong
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2007, 08:59 PM
We own sibes, we liked the history of them from the Chukchi's to present day. We liked the working history of them and their capabilities. We have a four dog racing team and so do work them in harness, doing exactly what they were bred to do. We like the recognition of Siberians after the Diptheria Epidemic in Nome Alaska in 1925, when relay teams of them took serum to the people of Nome to save lives, when nothing else could reach them..wonderful creatures..and proud to be owned by them

Jan.
tigertail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi, I have owned a Border Collie in the past and a chihuahua. I loved both but I think border collies are truly wonderful dogs. However, they take up a lot of time and are too intelligent for town life - especially if you don't have a car. After 10 dogless years, I am delighted to say I have a terrier puppy. Part border/part Lakeland. He is so sweet, but it is early days so we will see how naughty he gets. It is just lovely to have a collar and lead about the hosue again, if you know what I mean. I bought him from a lady who lived in the country and all his siblings had gone. She said she was worried for him as everyone wanted the tan puppies. He is so lovely - black with a chocolate hue with a white patch. I am still nervous as I haven't had a puppy before, only adult dogs and my Chihuahua was so difficult that will only relax really when he has been here a while. I think I have found the perfect dog for me and my lifestyle and I hope we have many happy years togther.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 10:27 PM
We had a crossbreed when I was a child,my friend had a staffy who was fantastic.
So intelligent and his love towards us kids was second to none.So I was going to get a stafford as soon as we got our home.
We did,our first was a rescue and that was it hooked on the breed!
Unknown to me at the time,my Great grandfather also used to own and breed them,so did my great uncle,so it's running in my blood now

For me it has to be the loyality,the way they love people especially kids,they are extremely funny and very intelligent!I sometimes think mine are nearly human!
BEN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
our first dog was a border terrierx and she was£10 from a rescue centre she died when i was she was 14
and ben is a cockapoo he was £750 we got him cos im allergic to dogs and hes anti allergic or someting like that he does shed
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 03:55 PM
When I was 10 years old, after 4 years of begging my parents to let me have a dog, they finally relented....saying that they would consider it, if I did all the research myself and found a breed that would suit us all.

My mum had a kidney transplant when I was 7 and had been very ill throughout my life, and I think they felt sorry for me being an only child. Of course when I was 10, there was no such thing as the internet, so I saved up and bought a book about buying a puppy. I noticed the contact addresses at the back, and having read the book, called the kennel club, I gave them a list of different breeds of dogs that I had researched and was considering. Westies, Cav King Charles Spaniels, Rough Collies, labs, and dalmatians.

I spoke to my parents and my dad said "if you're having a dog, have a big dog, I'm not walking a small one" so that ruled out Westies and cav's. I called a breeder of rough collies that was local, and we went to view the two most gorgeous balls of fluff ever, but mum didn't want a black collie, so we went and viewed the "local" breeder of dalmatians, - I organised it all, and when I told my mum we were off to Camarthen, she laughed (we lived in Newport at the time).

We walked in and saw the most beautiful litter of 9 pups, and mum and dad fell in love, especially seen as the mum was so gorgeous, I chose Tara (she is now 11!)

Last summer I had my second dalmatian, Blue, who I was unable to keep after my marriage broke down - something I regret every single day of my life. My ex partner also kept the alsatian we had, Nia, who was a beauty, as she had grown up with gsd's.

I now have an 11 week old dalmatian Icon. I am just addicted to spotties, I love everything about them.....always have, always will!

Sorry for the long reply.....bit like this is your life!!!!
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
All my life growing up we had owned GSD's and it was natural when I left home to get my own.

We had 4 GSD's over the years but all (except one who, due to abuse as a puppy and a blow to the head, got epilepsy) were plagued by various problems that were breed related. Coupled with the fact that I didn't like the way the breed was going in way of shape, temperament and health, we decided to swap breeds.

After lots of research we settled on an Akita (which was a shock to the system, boy they need a lot of work) but I still hankered after a GSD.

We found Willow in a rescue centre, she is Akita x GSD so was the best of both worlds

Since getting Willow I can honestly say that we will never get another pedigree dog (we have got another 2 crosses since we got her, GSD x NI). I can't explain why, probably for the same reason that most people can't pinpoint exactly why they prefer one breed to another.

However, my crosses are all GSD x (so far) so the GSD attraction is obviously still there
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Awww Chellie thats lovely
Vase
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Cool thread

As a kid I would have had any animal my parents allowed, especially a dog. Begging for a dog was a constant thing pretty much.

One day when I was about 8 years old I was in the vets with my hamster when I spotted a leaflet. On the front of the leaflet was the most beautiful and amazing dog I had ever seen...an Afghan Hound. I vowed to my mum there an then that one day I would have one of my own. She gave me the usual "Yeah whatever" that parents do.

When I was 16 I returned home from a Sunday job to find the cutest Yorkie pup. Bella became the love of my life and I shared 13 great years with her until last December
Even though I moved out at 20 I still walked her and did all the usual things.

I managed to get a part time job after being unemployed and after some months we decided to get a dog. My wife asked what breed and without saying a word I just grinned.

On March 16th, 2006 Rogue was born and came to live with us eight weeks later. 20 years is a very long time to wait for something but if I was guaranteed to get Rogue I would wait another 20 years without question
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
We were looking for a bassett hound, when our labs found us and they have inspired me with disabled animals as one is blind, so thats how we ended up with our Border Collie Podge, who is partially blind and deaf.
It always has to be a rescue for me too, no matter what breed or cross.
Gemma
Page 7 of 24 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »