View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:17 PM

Do you let your dog(s) hang their head out the car windows?

As per the title really?

Monty has recently discovered that there is some joy to be had from hanging his head out the back windows as i'm driving a long.

He only does it up until about 40mph and then he ducks back in. I don't really see the harm and it cracks me up seeing his boxer jowls flapping round in the wind in the wing mirrors!

The windows don't open far enough for him to be able to get out or anything and he never sticks his head right out in the sense that his neck is out as well, he just kind of pokes his head out.

So anyone else let their dog do this?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Nope, bits of gravel can shoot up and cause disastrous consequences for doggie's eyes.... someone could throw a cigarette butt out and the ash could hurt the eyes too. Its the same principle imo as motorcyclists wearing helmets covering the eyes.

Just my opinion though
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Ours cann't they travel in the back behind the back seat.

If the windows are open sometimes they hold thier head up for the wind to blow back at them.

I'm not a fan of dogs heads out of windows personally so I wouldn't, but I don't judge people over it, I've seen alot of people that do allow it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Nope, never! I only open the windows enough for them to stick a nose out maybe, never a full head, I've heard of too many horror stories.

Yesterday, I was driving along the road, a mini was coming towards me with the roof down, with a labrador sitting on the back seat with it's paws behind the driver's head on the top of the headrest, stretching it's head right up into the air I couldn't believe I saw that!!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Nope, bits of gravel can shoot up and cause disastrous consequences for doggie's eyes.... someone could throw a cigarette butt out and the ash could hurt the eyes too. Its the same principle imo as motorcyclists wearing helmets covering the eyes.

Just my opinion though
Good point, i'd never thought about it like that.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Ours cann't they travel in the back behind the back seat.

If the windows are open sometimes they hold thier head up for the wind to blow back at them.

I'm not a fan of dogs heads out of windows personally so I wouldn't, but I don't judge people over it, I've seen alot of people that do allow it
I leave the back seats down in my car as Monty won't sit in the boot if the seats are up so he gets the whole of the back of the car (he's so bloomin' spoilt!).

I'm sure there will be people who will condemn me for allowing it but if it makes the boy happy for a few minutes a day then after all he's been through then i'm happy!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Nope, never! I only open the windows enough for them to stick a nose out maybe, never a full head, I've heard of too many horror stories.

Yesterday, I was driving along the road, a mini was coming towards me with the roof down, with a labrador sitting on the back seat with it's paws behind the driver's head on the top of the headrest, stretching it's head right up into the air I couldn't believe I saw that!!!!
That is a bit drastic to let a dog do that if the roof is down, if they had to brake suddenly it'd go flying probably out of the car.
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Nope.
Jasper is in the boot, its funny watching his ears flap and fur ruffle if I have the windows down on the motorway!

I have chuckled at other dogs with their heads out, they can look really comical, but dont agree with it, grit, ash and too many other worries.

Dont get me started on little dogs on the parcel shelf!!!!
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Mine never ever travel loose in the car they are always crated or on seat belts. The first thing rescuers do in the event of an accident is open the doors - and a loose dog already stressed from an accident would in all likelihood leg it - possibly straight onto a very busy road.

I wouldn't ever let a dog hang his head out the window of a car - always remember as a child my dad coming home from work very upset one night and not saying why - mum told us that later that it was because as he was driving home the car in front of him had a dog with his head out the window, the dog was dicapitated when another car coming in the opposite direction came too close too fast and the dog couldn't get it's head back in in time.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Nah I wouldn't. You never know about bits of debris or flying beasties striking the dog's eyes. I have one of those window guard things so they can have the fresh air but without the risk.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
No way, never ever ever. Too dangerous Thedogs do love it though!

Passed a JR the other day with its front paws on the WING MIRROR!!!!!
Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »