View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
Not wanting to raise anyone's hackles but I dont see why people get stressed about all this.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can go and pick up my puppy - a lovely black cockerpoo. Is he a pedigree - obviously not. Do I care? Not a jot.

It is irresponsible dog ownership that is the problem, not the number of dog breeds available, and that is something no one seems willing to tackle.
But why not just call the pup what is it - a poodle cross or a mixed breed?

Do breeder of these mixes do all health checks on both dogs used for breeding.

Ive got a borzuki
josshun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:03 PM
you could call it a yorkshire boarder
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post

I do laugh at the names people come up with for their crosses: I was just talking to my brother who has a new little Yorkshire terrier boy.... if it were physically possible to cross our two dogs (Yorkie X Border Collie.... don't worry, not going to happen, Tess's been speyed), what would you call it: Borkie? Border Terrier (oops, already exists... what're they a cross between)? Yorkshire Collie?

Any idea's?
How about Yorkie/Collie mix = Yollie
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:08 PM
"Borkie Yorkie"

luv it!!!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Everyone has a right to enjoy bringing a pup up though.

rune
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

It is all preference though, isn't it? I've got no problem with rescue dogs, but my preference is for raising them from puppies. And the breeds I like and would like to own in the VERY distant future, are highly unlikely to be found as puppies in rescue (or even as adults really!). Should I give my choice of breed/s up just because some people breed irresposibily and the result of their actions (the poor dogs/pups) end up in rescue? I don't think so!
I agree having a dog from a pup is fab and is something people should be able to do if they wish. I have done it myself many times and learned loads from it. There is some middle ground though, you can have a combination of both. Two out of my three are rescues and they are sooooo rewarding.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by josshun View Post
you could call it a yorkshire boarder
could be food for some interesting conversations when trying to find new homes for your pups:

Wanted: a loving home for my 7 Yorkshire Boarders

love the "Yollie" as well!!!!
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But why not just call the pup what is it - a poodle cross or a mixed breed?

Do breeder of these mixes do all health checks on both dogs used for breeding.

Ive got a borzuki
I've got no problem with calling it a cross, or a mongrel or anything else to be honest, it's just that cockerpoo is the name that this particular 'breed' of dog has been known by for the past 60yrs so I guess that's how they are more commonly known.

Both parents have been checked for eye problems and are clear of hereditary 's reconditions and I will be getting a vet's report before I pick him up. Mind you Monty (my last dog that I got fro the RSPCA) had supposedly been vet checked and became really ill on the way home, so I am not sure how much store to be put in that!

Here's a pic of my little lad by the way, when he was just a couple of weeks old and still a bit wobbly - can't wait to pick him up!

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
My akitas came from homes where silly people got them from breeders in the spin of a hat then decided they didn't want them anymore and chucked them out of their family home. They're rescued.

they were still bred and as such you wouldn't have them if they had not been... breeding and breeding and owning irresponsibly are two different things

To me it's simple, I see loads of Akitas going through rescue... There aren't enough kennel spaces for them, so the owner begrudgingly holds onto them for a time, whilst we frantically try to find new homes for them. Many a time the owner gives up and has in the past just driven to their vet and had the poor dog put down.

Now if the next person wanting an Akita took this Akita on instead of getting one from a breeder - one less dog dead, yes?

"Do you really think if everyone stopped buying from breeders and went to rescues it would stop dogs ending up in rescue??" No, but there would be more spaces in rescues so might not be as many dogs being put down.

OR!! it could mean that more dogs are taken into rescue??

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
You won't raise hackles Montysmum because at the end of the day it's down to personal choice and experience. I understand that.

As much as everyone should have the fun of bringing up a pup Rune, everybody should also have the satisfaction of bringing a rescue dog into their home and seeing the love from them develop beyond anything else. (ps. I had the fun of bringing a pup up....from a pregnant akita who gave birth in rescue )
Why should they, you say that like its a necessity, an done will only get satisfaction from rescuing, , if one wants to get a rescue so be it if not so be that also.

Personal choice is for the individual , not being told one is at the expence of the other.

Why should you only feel fulfilled by taking in rescues?? one can feel fulfilled by doing either or!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Makes my blood boil to..add a stupid name and add an extra 0 to the price, most are clearly out to make money from these crosses.
I have seen the disaster of some of these crosses coming into rescue, and how are breed is being mated to anything with 4 legs to produce hairless puppies.

I have seen hairless staffs, hairless shar peis, hairless german shepards, hairless poodles, hairless rotties and anything else you can think of advertised on websites and free adverts..

Of course there not real hairless staffs ect there staff cross CC's.. and you can just imagine the stupid names that come with the dogs..There being sold at double the price of either breed.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 02:21 PM
We had a mongrel when I was younger, nowadays people call them cross breeds? I was never ashamed of my dog I loved him for what he was, I just dont get all these very silly names that dogs are being sold with to be honest, its just a selling tactic, trying to con the average person that is not really into dogs but wants a dog, and sadly they think they are getting something rare. IMO a rock is a rock, a tree is a tree, a mongrel is a mongrel, a pedigree is a pedigree.

ETA the mongrel we bought was for £5 from a pet shop, but we are going back 44 years, wouldnt dream of getting a dog from a pet store now.
mo
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »