Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Punishment training verses positive training, training a dog to heel

I know there are people out there who doubt the effectiveness of reward based training thinking you have a dog who is so treat obsessed that you cant do anything with them
I came across these videos and thought I would share them

First this guy showing choke chain and lead 'pops' (as he calls them) to train his dog to heel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmLfXYZS38

Then this lady, who trains with treats and toys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtkTJ6ZvlH0

If I am lucky enough to come back as a dog I know who I would rather live with!
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I know there are people out there who doubt the effectiveness of reward based ..............
If I am lucky enough to come back as a dog I know who I would rather live with!
I would like to say that i use ONLY positive methods.....
but I do think that 'NO' 'LEAVE IT'and 'THATS NAUGHTY' have all got their place in my puppys training.......I never do more than raise my voice with a stern tone- but this must be counted as non positive training right.

Problem is- when werm happily has her nose buried in horse poop, she needs a voice or sharp voice with 'LEAVE IT'..........requesting her politely just does not do the trick!!

Does that make me a heinous Ceaserite?
do hope not!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Of course not
But here is a great leave it method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

I am working on it - today I recalld Ben to me and chucked a treat at him as he was getting close, asked him to 'leave it' and he did

Mia I have worked on this too much with her and she wouldnt even look at a big box of chicken I had on the floor

Havent built this up to working outside tho! thats a higher level
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Of course not
But here is a great leave it method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

I am working on it - today I recalld Ben to me and chucked a treat at him as he was getting close, asked him to 'leave it' and he did

Mia I have worked on this too much with her and she wouldnt even look at a big box of chicken I had on the floor

Havent built this up to working outside tho! thats a higher level
Wow - good tip - will set to on that!!
And well done!! result!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Did that guy really just hit that poor lab with the leash? WTF?

AND Thats Sylvia Trkman! I just got back from a Trkman agility handling seminar. She is awsome and La is SO cute in person. Her dogs are so happy thats evident in the video and in real life. That lab was just panting and cowed. Lots of stress signals. Its easy to see which method the dog prefers.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Well anyone that says a pinch DOSENT hurt, needs to watch heidis face as he puts the different colars on, Check Chain Fine, Slip Lead Fine, Prong.....Look at her face, Stressed out!!!!!!

I actually Do use a lead to train HW, but not like that. I use a mixture of Lead, Toys , treats & Touching the dog!!!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 07:51 AM
That first video was actually quite upsetting. It bothered me to see him so nonchalant about what he was doing to his dog!

The second video has given me some great tips BUT, I challenge anyone to stick a lead on Woody and try and get his attention with treats. On a walk, NOTHING exists for him but the big, wide world!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Etta is much harder to teach than the labs were.I do a mixture of treating and stopping until she is roughly in the right place. Every now and then she will shoot off unexpectedly somewhere.

She is totally lacking on the self control front. I began some exercises with her but she has been quite ill again so only just getting back to normal. I'll do some more when she is right.

She will take treats when out but I teach her walking in high streets rather than places she gets to run.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
Wow - good tip - will set to on that!!
And well done!! result!
That lady has lots of great how to videos - I love her!

Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Did that guy really just hit that poor lab with the leash? WTF?

AND Thats Sylvia Trkman! I just got back from a Trkman agility handling seminar. She is awsome and La is SO cute in person. Her dogs are so happy thats evident in the video and in real life. That lab was just panting and cowed. Lots of stress signals. Its easy to see which method the dog prefers.
Yup that guy teaches a sit by whacking the dog on the bum!!
I cant believe he dosent see the stress in his dog - she ducks and flinches when he smacks her with the lead and he goes 'see it dosent bother her at all' and putting the choke on in the poor dogs mouth!
Oh you lucky thing - I love Sylvia and would love to see her in real life - although she might need extra security as I will be trying to steal La
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Well anyone that says a pinch DOSENT hurt, needs to watch heidis face as he puts the different colars on, Check Chain Fine, Slip Lead Fine, Prong.....Look at her face, Stressed out!!!!!!

I actually Do use a lead to train HW, but not like that. I use a mixture of Lead, Toys , treats & Touching the dog!!!!!
I didnt notice that - will go back and look some more. But it is totaly crazy, they go here is a collar, it has bits of metal sticking in on the inside, but it dosent hurt the dog at all
If thats the case why have the metal sticking in like that??

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
That first video was actually quite upsetting. It bothered me to see him so nonchalant about what he was doing to his dog!

The second video has given me some great tips BUT, I challenge anyone to stick a lead on Woody and try and get his attention with treats. On a walk, NOTHING exists for him but the big, wide world!!
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Etta is much harder to teach than the labs were.I do a mixture of treating and stopping until she is roughly in the right place. Every now and then she will shoot off unexpectedly somewhere.

She is totally lacking on the self control front. I began some exercises with her but she has been quite ill again so only just getting back to normal. I'll do some more when she is right.

She will take treats when out but I teach her walking in high streets rather than places she gets to run.

rune
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
The difference is so clear. The lab in the first video was doing what she was told because she HAD to, the dogs in the secong video were doing it because they WANTED to. They were having a ball!

There's nothing I like more than seeing Dandy in his obedience class trotting beside me with a huge grin on his face! Tabs - it's OK to raise your voice - you don't need to apologise for that! I'm sure none of the fine Dogsey folks would condone using chains and hitting the dog with it's lead though - that's a whole other level!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »