Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarkDog
New Member!
Male 

24-02-2018, 01:51 AM

I'm planning to adopt my first dog

Hello, I'm Mark and I'm planning to adopt my first dog.

I can't have a dog for the moment because I currently live in an apartment that doesn't allow it. I'll move out and adopt my first dog in few months.

My decision to adopt a dog is relatively fresh, about 1 week.

So far, I visited my local dog refugee twice. I've read a book about dog, I watched few documentaries on the internet. I have also booked a single training lesson (1h) about dog from the local "dog trainer guy"(It's something serious, he has an enterprise and good references).

If I had to choose now, I would adopt either a
1-2yr old German Sherperd, white color
or a
1-2yr old Labrador, black color

Somebody told me that for a first dog, It might be easier with a young dog than a puppy. I don't really care about the cuteness of the puppy. But maybe I would like to be his master from the beginning I don't really know.

From my research, those breed shows "good dog" in terms of behavior and temperament.

I like the white colored German Shepherd because it remove the stigma of fierce dog created by TV police dog. (I might be mistaken about this one, they look amazing in white that's the main reason)

Are white German Sherperd dogs different than the more popular black and or brown other than the appearance of course? (I know about the White Swiss Shepherd)

I really want to make the best choices in regards of the adoption of my dog any help could be really appreciated.

Here some info that I could already answer:
I'm a 25 year old man
I live alone
I will get a new job and a new apartment(2 or 3 1/2), in few months too, I will find the right time for my adoption.
I have a Jeep Liberty (SUV)
I haven't lived with a dog yet.
I pretty active, running skating swimming etc like 10 hours/week.
I might go fishing and my dog need to be able to follow me through tough trails in the forest, need to be able to follow my running speed too.
I am kind of a intellectual person, I can't remember the last time I used an authority voice.
I'm a classical singer too, well... I wont be bother if the dog bark a little.

Thanks for your knowledge and time?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Gosh your life sounds heaven!! Your love of outdoor activities is perfect for a canine friend. My main concern is that of the dog being home alone all day whilst you are at work? This is not ideal for any dog, but many dogs suffer from separation anxiety - for the past 20 years I have had such dogs, and it is a bit of a pain sometimes always having to take the dog with us. If you are out of your home for more than half of the day, you could always consider a dog walker or a doggie creche?

That said, I agree with you about white shepherds - they are beautiful, but I am thinking that as your first dog maybe something less ambitious would be a good idea? There are always very sadly plenty of dogs in Rescue looking for a good home. An older dog maybe who does what it says on the tin as it were. If you do go down the rescue route, you must be prepared that it may come with a whole bundle of issues which you will need to handle gently and carefully.

Summing up, my advice would be to go down the rescue route for your first dog ... go visit a few rescue centres, meet the dogs, get a general idea of whether you might consider a small dog etc. etc.

And the best thing of all I can tell you is that when you get your dog you will look back and think how you ever managed to live without one!

Good luck to you and do let us know how you get on.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2018, 11:08 AM
A rescue may come with issues, but there are many dogs in rescue due to no fault of their own, house reposession, marital breakdown etc. The best rescues take a full case history wherever possible, and will also carry out their own assessments.
To minimise first time owner problems, I would keep an open mind when it comes to the breed, and select a dog with a nice steady temperament, which is fit enough to enjoy your lifestyle, and has previously been used to spending a little time alone. Good Luck!
MarkDog
New Member!
Male 

24-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
This is not ideal for any dog, but many dogs suffer from separation anxiety
What about two dogs, can I leave two dogs with themselves for few days, if I get two sibling puppies, will they suffer separation anxiety even if they are together?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2018, 06:52 PM
MarkDog

A few points if I may.

I don't think you need worry about your getting through rough trails - if you can, he can

Likewise running speed. Not to mention stamina. He'll outlast ans outpace you. Twice over.

The apartment thing doesn't sit well with me. And some others. That has been explored on another thread. Grass box as I recall.

FWIW, we also got a year old rescue - a collie in our case.
No real problems. We walk him around 10 miles a day. I can do that because I'm retired. No chance otherwise.

Taking on a dog is a big commitment.

Good luck with your new ventures.
MarkDog
New Member!
Male 

24-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
MarkDog
The apartment thing doesn't sit well with me. And some others. That has been explored on another thread. Grass box as I recall.
Okay, I'm still on planning, what do you suggest?

Do you have a link to the other thread so I can inform myself.

Good apartment that accept dogs seems hard to find... I don't have a job for now so I have more choice.

I will need good timing. New job, new apartment, new dog. I want to have success. That's why I take the time to think about it. I know I can't handle all this at once. The new dog will have to wait until everything else is stable I guess.

Buying a house is just too much of a investment for me at the moment.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by MarkDog View Post
Okay, I'm still on planning, what do you suggest?

Do you have a link to the other thread so I can inform myself.

Good apartment that accept dogs seems hard to find... I don't have a job for now so I have more choice.

I will need good timing. New job, new apartment, new dog. I want to have success. That's why I take the time to think about it. I know I can't handle all this at once. The new dog will have to wait until everything else is stable I guess.

Buying a house is just too much of a investment for me at the moment.
Other thread:
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=199970

If that doesnt work go to "What's new" Its about the fourth item down.

What do I suggest?
Well, I'm not by any means a dog expert and you won't like my suggestion. As long as you live in an apartment building, I would advise against getting a dog. Especially a big dog. What you do if he wants to pee in the middle of the night?

If I had to, I'd give my dog up rather than deny him freedom when he wants or need it. That would be unfair in my opinion.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by MarkDog View Post
What about two dogs, can I leave two dogs with themselves for few days, if I get two sibling puppies, will they suffer separation anxiety even if they are together?
I am sure this is just the way you have phrased your post, but I hope you are not suggesting leaving dog or dogs alone at home for a few days??
MarkDog
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2018, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I am sure this is just the way you have phrased your post, but I hope you are not suggesting leaving dog or dogs alone at home for a few days??
I'm sorry that my post shocked you but I really meant it.

You see I don't have a clear idea of what a dog(all aspects) really is. I'm planning to adopt my first dog, I never had a dog before.
But because (read the title) I do research and I make sure I understand what I do, before getting one. Asking "weird" or "dumb" questions is a normal way to learn.

The background of my thought about leaving 2 dogs for few days is that if they are 2 they wont be alone because they are with each other.

According to your reaction, It looks like I'm wrong. I forget to take into consideration that dog won't just use the toilet. But the idea is to understand the separation anxiety.

I'm not ready to adopt a dog right now but I'll get myself to it, in 5 months most likely.

Also a dog grass box looks good to have.
I will choose an apartment that has a door directly to the outside.
Finding the right apartment is another important aspect that I will consider.
I won't get a small dog. I'll bring my dog through wet mud during the summer and mountains of snow during the winter in the tough forest of north-ish Canada. Look this video you will see what I mean:
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Dogs thrive on the company of humans. If you want any sort of relationship with a dog, you will need to commit time, effort, money and above all, love.

Two dogs in a small apartment with a grass box - forget it. Leaving a dog for more than a few hours - forget it. No exercise for a few days - forget it.

A dog is on a par with a small child. Unless you can commit that sort of effort, you are not ready to get a dog
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >