Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Bladder problem

Hi, I have a 10 month old Hamiltonstovare bitch who is wetting in the house, I have only had her for 4 months and it has been getting worse, We tried telling her off for it but it made her do it all the more as she would wee in anticipation of a telling off , I have taken her to the vets who has done blood and urine tests. All this showed up was that her urine had a vey high PH. She has been on antibiotics for a week now just in case of infection but it has made no difference. The next step is a bladder x ray to see if her bladder is in the wrong place. This will happen next friday. Has anyone else ever had a similar problem. I would appreciate any advice. We don't tell her off anymore just clean it up. She knows she is doing it as she squats but also knows it is wrong to do it in the house, she seems to all of a sudden have to go!!!
Carole
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2008, 10:20 PM
A couple of months ago Rio had something similar, she couldn't hold it when she needed to wee, and she seemed to have very little warning that she needed to go. We'd be half way to the back door and she would suddenly squat in the conservatory. I also noticed she was dribbling while laying down gnawing her bone and was completely oblivious to it. She showed no signs of ill health at all. The initial test showed nothing at all, but further investigation showed an e-coli infection which took three weeks of antibiotics to clear. With her it was completely out of character and started with wet patches on her bedding, but they suck their beds quite a lot so I didn't twig, but as you've only had yours a few months it could well have been incubating the whole time. With Rio the vet did say that if it recurred it could be she had a skin flap causing bacteria to lurk and breed and that could be easily removed by laser.
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you, that's interesting, she is on her last day of antibiotics tomorrow.
Carole.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2008, 12:06 AM
some dogs simply have a weak bladder.iv had a few.if she is attempting to get your attention thats good,and there is no reason to correct something you have no controll over. imo...and i see that you have done just that...good stuff hope all is well....phil
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 06:57 AM
No advice, really, just that you need to be patient.

Hope you get it sorted one way or the other x
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Has she been spayed?
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2008, 08:14 AM
No she is not speyed she is too young yet. I know that some dogs can have this problem when they have been speyed. The vet told me. My old dog was on urilin due to old age incontinence for about 2 years before she passsed on, but the vet doesn't think it will work in this case!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 11:26 AM
When I had unspayed females they used to wet the floor sometimes when they were about to come in season
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Could be hormonal then, and if so will pass after her season, Otherwise I would think something is wrong either with her plumbing or it may be emotional. Not a lot of help but I do think it can be sorted but may take a while for the vet to find the reason.
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2009, 10:55 PM
All sorted now , it took the antibiotics a few more days to work. No need for x rays etc.

Thanks everyone for your advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >