View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Am I the only person, but I really liked the Community Charge as it was based on capital value rather than national rental value of a property, and that it had a 25% discount for single-occupancy dwellings.

If it was still in I would save a fortune per year as I own two properties.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 07:53 PM
No I didn't A, I have now though, and that's his opinion of why things went on as they did, it's not gospel is it. I was only interested in what I had originally posted about how terrible life was during the 70's when Labour were in power with the very high unemployment, she just pushed it up a tad, she didn't instigate it back in the 70's labour did a good job of that and the unions.

I honestly hate politics, but I do remember having suffered as I did on the job front when I had only just started out in life from College in the 70's how I admired what she did, but that was my opinion, just as this bloke has HIS opinion, which as you well know, we are all entitled to. I lived through the bad times I remember it well, but I survived, without the help of any unions speaking out for me, I did it all by myself, and I was glad of my job no matter what the pay compared to my pals, I was just glad I had one! I wasn't particularly bothered by the coal strike and what was going on, as I knew it had to be progress to close them down, that's what happens in life, we move on, and if that means changing direction in your employment then so be it. It just so happens my husband who currently owns a garage is finding it extremely difficult to keep up with the modern technology of the new cars, he has to spend thousands of pounds every few months just to get the latest puter to diagnose faults, and engines aren't the same as they used to be, it won't be long before it's well above his head, he's a nuts and bolts type technician, so what will he do? He'll change his vocation in life, he doesn't have a union to go and cry to, he has to pick himself up and get on with it, survival of the fittest, but I'm darn sure he'll manage it somehow. I wish I could put into words how I really feel, but it's hard, and it probably won't make good reading anyway, so I'll best keep it to myself. I still say Thatcher did a lot of good, that's my opinion, she pulled us out of the sh*te at the time, I can't imagine for one minute whether I'd actually be sitting here typing this if she hadn't, I'm sure things would have got worse, a lot worse that's all I'm saying.

As in everything, things have to get worse before they get better don't they, and although the unemployment crept up to 3Million (didn't take much though!) at least it went all the way down again - eventually, and that just wouldn't have happened before she came along.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes, 100% she was a wonderful woman and opened so many doors for women as a gender. She was a brilliant PM, we haven't had such a good one since. Tony Blair, in fact the whole of the labour party should just be thrown in a big pit together however! It took the conservative party to sort out the recession last time.....!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Yes, 100% she was a wonderful woman and opened so many doors for women as a gender. She was a brilliant PM, we haven't had such a good one since. Tony Blair, in fact the whole of the labour party should just be thrown in a big pit together however! It took the conservative party to sort out the recession last time.....!
Forgive me if I am wrong but wasnt the last recession in the UK was between 1990-1992 and it was the conservative party in power at the time, so if they did sort it out they were only fixing their own mess.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 11:12 PM
The labour party were the ones who messed up the economy, the conservatives took the brunt and then ultimately fixed it x
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 11:20 PM
So it took them 13yrs to fix the previous goverments mistakes? If yes then surely the same amount of time should be gifted to the goverment now to fix the problems left by them
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Labour couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery let alone fix ANYONE'S mistakes, their own inclusive! I mean dear Lord what legacy has Tony Blair left? Thousands of families without their sons, daughters, mothers, fathers? Nice!

My admiration is not only for Baroness Thatcher from a political point of view, but also as a loud out spoken feminist!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Unless they're going to give state funerals too all past Prime ministers I'll say no.

Other than Winston Churchill, what other PM#s have been given a state funeral? Where will it end, and who will be paying for it? Oh yes, the tax payer
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Since Churchill no other PM has done anything worth recognising with such an honour, lets be fair, would our current PM even make the front page?!!?!?!
annismith
New Member!
Male 

18-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Yes, she and GB were respected by other world leaders and she was not a puppet to USA or the EC

Annismith
Page 14 of 33 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »