View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 07:43 AM

Has anyone ever had a vicious dog in their neighborhood?

There is a dog that lives diagnally across the street from me that is terrorizing our block. He has been attacking people for two years, and nobody reports the bites because they are scared of the owners. The dog attacked someone again yesterday. Supposedly the guy is going to follow through with the report paperwork, unlike all of the other bite victims.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? I'm terrified bringing my daughter to the school bus stop and taking my dogs for a walk.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Have not encountered this problem, thank goodness. Must be very unpleasant. Can you not report it to the dog warden/animal control officer or their equivalent? Usually the names of complainants are not revealed to the offender.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 09:36 AM
I think for the sake of any children ( or anyone else really) this dog should be reported. The owners wont know who did the reporting as its all confidential
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2004, 11:25 AM
The family who live up the road from me own 10 English Bullterriers, which live in a large enclosure in their garden. The dogs have developed into a pack and used to attack other dogs on the local park. The owner has now been banned from taking his dogs to the park. So now he walk all ten of them up and down our road, I just avoid him.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-06-2004, 01:04 PM
By the sounds of it the owner doesn't care, so keep pursuing it with the authorities until they do something - warn them that you will sue THEM if that dog harms any of your family! Might b worth a try!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 08:35 PM
We've reported it dozens of times, but only the person bit can file a complaint. This last guy is filing a complaint thank goodness. So far anyway. Other's have said they were following through to, but didn't.

We just came home from the store and the owners of the dog were standing on the deck and started jumping up and down giving us the finger, LOL So we waved, laughed and gave them the finger back, then my husband hit the brakes hard and they ran in the house. I guess they know we convinced the guy to follow through. The owners received a note from the animal control officer saying they've been formally reported. The last time we managed to only get them fined. This time the guy who was bitten is having them appear in a dog court. Things are going to get ugly around here again.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Down in our village, there were two collie/lab crosses who attacked other dogs as a team. Two small dogs were severely bitten and required emergency surgery. The third one they attacked was almost pulled apart, and died at the vet's. During the attack, the owner just stood still, saying "It's not my fault! I can't control them!" (Oh yes? Then why was he walking them?).

Anyway, the vet contacted the police and the owner was charged with keeping dangerous dogs, uncontrolled. However, by the time the case came to the Sheriff Court, the dogs had been rehomed (together, I gather). The Procurator Fiscal (Scottish equivalent of the prosecution service) failed to ascertain the current whereabouts of the dogs, and the Sheriff threw the case out of court.

One of the reasons I've taken an interest in this case was that some local S.O.B. had tried to start a rumour that it had been MY pair that were the offenders! Fortunately, there had been so many witnesses that the rumour never took hold! Just another case of a two-faced <supply your own word> who smiles at your face, then stabs you in the back.

Snorri
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 05:24 AM
That's a terrible story all around. At least the dogs are gone and you can't be implicated. Do you know who the guy is who started the rumor?

There is a border collie lab mix on the other end of my block. It seems very vicious. That's not a good mix, is it?
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2004, 01:01 AM
No idea who started the story, but if ever I find out........ It didn't get too far, though, as there were too many witnesses to the truth.

As to collie x lab mixes, well, you get good and bad in any breed/mix, really. Three is not a very big sample, statistically! Now, there's a way to use spare time - collecting statistics! May the Good Lord preserve me from getting that bored!

Snorri