View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2009, 12:23 PM
The longest I've travelled with Poppy in the car was just over 5 hours. I only gave her a light meal about 2 hours before we set off. We stopped twice on the way, and spent about 30 mins on each stop, made sure she had a drink, gave her a good walk and plenty of time for the toilet before getting back in the car.

Although on that occasion it was raining, with the three of us in the car and it being early September and quite humid, I did put the air con on in the car and pointed it towards Poppy (see sits in the middle of the back seat so she can see between the seats - she has a harness/seat belt so she wouldn't fly through the seats).

Enjoy your trip.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 12:32 PM
We do 5 hours up to the cottage in Scotland, or 4 hours to Wales with our two.

We travel them the same way as usual (in the boot, with a duvet to lay on). We tend not to feed them beforehand (but they get quite a big meal the night before). They get a good run in the morning as well.

The dogs tend to fit in quite well with our 'comfort stops', so we may only stop twice on a 5 hour journey. The dogs often aren't bothered about stopping, it's usually a quick walk around for a wee, then a drink and back in the car with some little treats.

I'd agree with Hali with keeping water/bowls nearby. I often pack a 'travel bag' which is a collapsible water bowl and bottle of water, treats, poo bags and first aid kit (cos I'm paranoid that way). Then I can pack all their regular kit into a box together and not worry about keeping it on top on the stuff.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 12:51 PM
monty used to travel on a large cushion bed on the back seat but he's much happier in the boot these days as he can look out the back window and see what's going on rather than just see what wizzing past through the side windows. He doesn't like the rear windscreen wiper though and always jumps through to the back seat if it's on.

Most we've travelled is 3 hours and we don't often stop as he sleeps the whole way and gets restless if we stop for a break as he thinks the journey has ended.

Like you, we are off to Wales next weekend and will be a 4 hour journey. I will give him a light brekkie before we go and a quick run in the park. I was excited about it but I'm feeling quite nervous about it now as it's our first week away with the dog and we've hired a cottage. Just hope he behaves himself!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 12:56 PM
We've done a few journeys. The dogs travel in the back (estate) with an attached water bowl. We have now invested in roof rails and a box as we have Tango and so when we were going on holiday, Cosmo would be on a harness on the back seat with the boot loaded up!!! No room now.

It was a 2 hr journey to pick up Tango. We didn't stop...they slept in the back all the way home.

We do feed on the morning of a journey (unless we are setting off at the crack of dawn) and try to exercise the dogs before setting off too. I would say on a 3 hour journey there is no need for a break...they can last 3 hours in the house, especially if they sleep. Anything more than that I would take a break.
I also have poo bags/water/treats etc to hand
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 01:58 PM
We go to Mull regularly and take the fur balls. It takes approx 10 hrs and there is a ferry ride. We make sure the dogs are well excercised and stop every few hours for a walk, toilet and water.

Goodluck, I am sure they will be fine.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies, I've just bought a harness for Paris on the back seat as they both fit really well. i've popped her harness on and going to leave it on for a little while so she can get used to it but she certainly doesnt seem bothered by it at all considering she's never worn one before!

Phil fits well in the boot and i think its probably the safest place for him as he likes to stand and look out the windows. Only issue was that he tried to get over the back seats so will have to out the dog guard up.

When i tried it out earlier to see if they would fit paris wouldnt get off the back seat! I had to coax her out with biscuits! Here she is looking rather comfy!

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Hiya took Sal to Cornwall from B'ham in March by car...usually the longest she's in the car is 45 minutes but that journey was 4 1/2 hours....set off on the Sunday (quiet on the roads) had a walk before but not to much.
Took some water in 2pint plastic milk bottle cartons kept in a chiller bag...so I could throw the away as they were emptied.... her folding water bowl folds into my pocket on normal walks...she never has breakfast anyhow so we were alright there and we stopped at motorway service stations about for a leg strech/loo break/drink/spot food for people & dog.
Sal was brilliant she shared the coronation chicken, brown roll sarnies, and the chicken wings (minus salad ) she slept on an old quilt which was taken from the car on the stops so she could lie down, also in case she was a bit ill but she is an excellent traveller. Regular stops worked well same on way back home
apart from at two stops on return journey she carried on sleeping and refused to get out of the car.....so she was comfortable and settled.

Have to say make sure the water bowls and water are accesible I put the dogs water and bowl and our food drinks, flasks, kitchen roll, baby wipes and a small handtowel in the footwell of the back seat. Also take a spare slip lead just in case...and poo bags in the back "organiser" Taking her to Somerset in June so went well only 2 - hours that journey but I like the breaks its part of the holiday....sitting in the sun with holiday sarnies.

Oh another tip if your dogs name tag has your house phone number on it change it to your mobile (if you are taking it) or someone's who will be by a landline, as I thought no point if I am in Cornwall the Sal gets lost someone finds her and rings B'ham when I am in Cornwall....Just a suggestion.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 03:36 PM
hiya

we have taken Bruno quite a few times, and the shortest drive on holiday was 3 hours, longest 6.

He travels quite well, although never really settles down that much, so he spends a great deal of time looking out the window and barking at sheep !!!

I think you sound fine, have some water for when you stop, we usually stopped at around the 4 hr mark as by then usually wanted to stretch our legs anyway. Also with Luca last year we had to stop more frequently for him as he got bored.

We usually do feed bruno in the morning though as otherwise would never hear the end of it all day in the car crying like he was starving !!!

have a fab holiday xxx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
My point about the water/bowls was to make sure that they are easy to reach. I know we've packed the car on a few ocassions, putting things in without thinking - then when we stop en route and start looking for the water/bowls..its like 'where are they...oh bum...right underneath all our other bags'
That's good advice - I hadn't thought of that!
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Oh another tip if your dogs name tag has your house phone number on it change it to your mobile (if you are taking it) or someone's who will be by a landline, as I thought no point if I am in Cornwall the Sal gets lost someone finds her and rings B'ham when I am in Cornwall....Just a suggestion.
I leave a message on our home landline with my mobile number on it - so that if anyone rings the house they can reach us anytime.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >