View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:17 AM

our first holiday with the dogs... help please!

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice really, we are off to wales for a few days for the first time with the dogs. They have been on lots of short journeys in the car but never a 3 hour one before!

Paris settles really well in the car, she just curls up and sleeps. Phil likes to see whats going on so tends to stand for a good portion of the trip...

We are obviously going to have a few comfort stops along the way. just wondered if you had any advice to make our journey comfortable and stress-free for us and the hounds.

We are planning on getting up really early and taking them for a good run before we go.

Should we give breakfast before we go? if we did we would make sure it would be a while before we set off... just dont like to think of them going without food for sooo long if they didnt have brekkie.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:29 AM
We're taking Bryan on his first long car journey at the bank holiday. The longest he's been in the car is about 45 minutes.

We've got a proper car harness for him because we're going to be travelling on the motorway. I thought that if there was an accident at least he would be safer if he's actually restrained a bit.

Usually if we're just driving in town he's loose in the back, but we don't do more than 30 MPH.

We're planning on stopping maybe twice on the way there (maybe more if he gets too restless). Make sure you have plenty of water - I'm planning on taking a cool bag to keep it cool (also to put his food in cos he's raw fed).

I'm planning on feeding him before we go, he's never been sick in the car or shown signs of travel sickness.

Can't think of anything else, maybe leave the back windows open a chink to get some air circulation?

Hope you have a lovely holiday
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:32 AM
We don't give ours anything to eat before we go on holiday, just aves any sickness really, but I suppose some would.
We stop off a few times so they can stretch thier legs have a wee etc., and a drink.

But otherwise these three are happy going on hols. The girls sleep, Bruce like to watch were he's going and were he came from but as long as he's quiet (which he is) we just let him have a nose.

Have a wonderful time and don't forget the photos
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
We're taking Bryan on his first long car journey at the bank holiday. The longest he's been in the car is about 45 minutes.

We've got a proper car harness for him because we're going to be travelling on the motorway. I thought that if there was an accident at least he would be safer if he's actually restrained a bit.

Usually if we're just driving in town he's loose in the back, but we don't do more than 30 MPH.

We're planning on stopping maybe twice on the way there (maybe more if he gets too restless). Make sure you have plenty of water - I'm planning on taking a cool bag to keep it cool (also to put his food in cos he's raw fed).

I'm planning on feeding him before we go, he's never been sick in the car or shown signs of travel sickness.

Can't think of anything else, maybe leave the back windows open a chink to get some air circulation?

Hope you have a lovely holiday

Thanks Sarah,

Hope your journey goes well too. I was thinking of trying a harness too, putting one doggy in the boot and one with a harness on the back seat. We too have them loose in the car generally but i really worry about them being hurt in an accident.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
We don't give ours anything to eat before we go on holiday, just aves any sickness really, but I suppose some would.
We stop off a few times so they can stretch thier legs have a wee etc., and a drink.

But otherwise these three are happy going on hols. The girls sleep, Bruce like to watch were he's going and were he came from but as long as he's quiet (which he is) we just let him have a nose.

Have a wonderful time and don't forget the photos
He he! Will do, thanks. Really in two minds whether to feed them or not. As Sarah said though they have never shown any signs of sickness before...
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Maybe you could give them half there usual and see how they are?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi,

I've not taken mine on holiday but I have taken Zane on a 3 hours drive before.

Make sure you have LOADS of water. It may be worth investing in one of those portable drinking bowls and you can get some with lids specifically for travel.

I personally wouldn't give mine breakfast just in case they're sick, or depserate for a poo whilst on the motorway and you can't stop. I would take a few treats for when you have breaks on the way and yes - definitely give them a good run before setting off. they'r eless likely to be restless in the car that way.

Do you have a crate/cage? Harnesses? rear guard? Also I'd get some of those expandable window guards so the windows can be open to let in some fresh air but with a grill on them the dogs can't get out (may shove their noses through the gap though).

Make sure that whether they're restrained or not (should be really), there's somewhere comfy in the car they can sit or lie down on and spread their legs out/stretch if they need to.

When you get to where you're going and have checked in or organised yourselves a little, give them a small brekkie/brunch/lunch. Tehn take then for a short walk to stretch their legs.

I'm sure they'll be absolutely fine and will be none the worse for wear froma 3 hour car drive.

I love Wales and hope to take my dogs either this year (if I can find somewhere cheap enough) or next summer.

Have a great time.

Laura xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with YS - I wouldn't feed them first.

Make sure you take a bowl and some water and that you put it somewhere easily accessible (+ poo bags for when you stop).

Also worth thinking about taking an old sheet or something for them to lay on in case they are sick - you can scoop it up, shake all the bits off and then put it in a bag until you are able to rinse it through (although for extreme cases, you may think about ditching it!)

Personally I don't usually make that many stops because I find it gets them more unsettled - they think we've arrived but then they end up getting bundled back in the car. But if one of your dogs doesn't settle well, you may be better to opt for more stops.

Have a lovely holiday
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all your help.

We'll have all their things with us (bowls, food etc) as we are staying for a few days so comfort stops should be relatively easy. My OH said would prob be best to just stop halfway where we usually stop, give the dogs a quick walk and a pee and poop stop if needed.

The old sheet idea is brilliant, never thought of that.

We do have a rear guard and usually have the dogs in the back with the seats down as we only have a small car and big dogs, but i'm thinking of putting on in the boot and one on the back seat with a harness. i'm off to ou local petshop this afternoon as they have some decent priced harnesses, but need to check if a dog will fit in the boot comfortably first!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 12:16 PM
If you can, I'd travel them the same way as you usually do, otherwise you might find they're unsettled. I tend to put our luggage in the footwell of the back seat so that there is no chance of it moving around and knocking the dogs (but we do usually travel pretty light).

My point about the water/bowls was to make sure that they are easy to reach. I know we've packed the car on a few ocassions, putting things in without thinking - then when we stop en route and start looking for the water/bowls..its like 'where are they...oh bum...right underneath all our other bags'
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >