View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: 1, 2 or more?
1 - One dog at a time is plenty... 8 9.88%
2 - I like a pair of dogs... 31 38.27%
3+ - Life's not right without a pack... 42 51.85%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I have one, but only because my dad said no to two i'd love to have a little pack of rescues, maybe three or four. i don't know if i'll ever be in the position to do that though
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 11:15 AM
HI,

I have 3 at the moment and hopefully am about to adopt a 4th. Having 4 is easier for me that having 3 when it comes to walking. It means I can walk 2 at a time without laving 1 of them out.

With 3 at the moment I have to wlk separately or all 3together which can be difficult sometimes.

I'd always have as many as I could reasonaly deal with though. I love dogs - the more the merrier.

Laura xx
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I think everyone on here has expressed my views better than i can but here goes my two pence

There are currently four in my crew and they balance out perfectly. I think your number of dogs has to totally depend on your circumstances. There is no point taking on more than one dog (or even a huge dog) if you don't have time, space and money. It also depends on the dogs themselves. Despite several of mine being rescues (with various issues) I have been incredibly lucky that they are all very doggy friendly and get on incredibly well.
I also think it is generally unwise to take one more than one dog at the same time for many reasons.
Oh and i did find there was a large jump about practicalities of dogs (car journeys, walking and going on holidays for example) between 2 and 3 dogs. Although again, depends on size a huge amount!

Insomnia, it's great to read a post from an OP about something like this when you obviously have your head screwed on Have fun with the schnauzers

As a total other thought - I know you ahve had lots of experience with dogs , has your fiance? It can be easy to forget how much of an impact on your life owning a dog can be when you are used to it It might be a bit of a shock to him even if it is something he wants aswell. Does that make sense?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:19 AM
thanks woodstock. he doesn't have as much varied experience as me (i've looked after a lot of different dogs) but he has lived with a yorkie and westie full time.
we're leaning towards one older rescue dog right now to start off with. the schnauzers will be here any minute!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I could have god knows how many at any one time, not so long ago I had 7 rotties, but I have lived with just one dog as well,
though I do like to have more than one, for the sake of doggy company for one another, its worked well for me to have a multi dog home,
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a great plan to me Insomnia - i look forward to hearing how it comes along!
And let us know how the schnauzers do - i want piccies
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2009, 07:50 PM
I enjoy having two. I prefer two as they are doggie company for each other and I think it is good for them to live with another of their kind. I was always brought up with 4 or 5 as a child but they lived outside most of the time. I feel I have enough time to devote to my two, anymore and I feel my attention would be diluted.

I wouldn't consider having anymore, just for the mess, time issues and the cost. I couldn't afford to properly look after another dog and I don't think my uncle would look after anymore than two dogs when I went on holiday. I don't mind not having a perfect house but I like to have a semi-doggy home and if I had anymore there wouldn't be any room on the sofa for me!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6