View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: 1, 2 or more?
1 - One dog at a time is plenty... 8 9.88%
2 - I like a pair of dogs... 31 38.27%
3+ - Life's not right without a pack... 42 51.85%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:48 AM
I have one at the moment but i am contemplating another (more like trying to talk OH round!) never had two dogs before - is it much harder - i tend to think of things like will there be enough room in the car, where am i going to put an extra bed, can i afford extra insurance, I worry if they will get on and how they would be if i left them (i work part-time 3 hours a day) walking two together that sort of thing.....
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:51 AM
I voted two... even though... the 2 in the future would be small dogs, nobody wants you around their house with one big dog let alone two... much of what Mo has said rings true for me.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Apart from my first dog (when I lived with my parents) I have always had 2 plus. I voted 3 plus because I have 3 and when Bruce is about 2/ 2.5 then I hope to get another. However Bruce has just opened the kitchen door and let the cats in (which I didn't want) so maybe I'll put him up to ''any takers'' and have 2

Me Me me me me can I, can I can I, plllleasssseee!!!!!! I love my Brucey baby
You wouldn't be with out him I know
Elaine xxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I voted two. I would love another but not got the room Well.....maybe just a little one
Elaine xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I voted one dog as that is what we are happy with at the moment. Marius is like two dogs rolled into one anyway, the big bear!!

Prior to Marius though, we always had two dogs at a time and enjoyed seeing them play with each other.

I guess it depends on your circumstances and how it suits you at the time. I wouldn't rule out having two dogs together again in the future.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 12:40 PM
voted 2. I have never really had one dog (well apart from for a couple of weeks.)Over the last 5/6 years we have always had 3...for a while 4. We currently have 2, but Biff sort of doesn't count as he doesn't go out/need training etc...so it's more like one and a bit. We hope to change that very soon. We will then stick at two though as and when Biff goes to the bridge.
I enjoy two as they are company for each other and I feel I have enough time to give them individual attention. I can walk the two of them together and they support each other when out. I just think 2 dogs is a nice number. 3 was really hard work...as was 4, but that was probably the nature of the dogs we had.
Long way of saying 2 really...

I do think the size of the dog comes into it as well...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 12:55 PM
There are so many things to consider, but if you are hoping to start a family shortly after you are married then I would start with one dog and get that one trained etc before thinking about getting another

I voted 2, as I think that is the number I am most happy with. I do have 4 dogs at the moment (2 GSDs and 2 BCs) and love them all, but would like to eventually get down to two in the future, either one of each or two sheps. We will see. I don't obviously want to wish any of my dogs away, but looking to the future, I will just have two. Easier to control (more than 3, and they really start to act as a pack ), easier to take to friends houses/on holiday/in the car etc etc. Two are good for keeping each other company, playing together, often exercising each other etc. I am fortunate in that I live in a very rural spot, with lots of land for the dogs to run around, but if I lived in a more built up area I would never have chosen to have 4 dogs. Oh, and I also have a one year old son ... so time can be at a real premium!

My hubby has 9 dogs, but it is rather different as they are all working sheepdogs. The good thing is that if I ever decide to just have two GSDs, then I will always have a choice of collies to take out/train with etc too

Oh, and border terriers are great little dogs. My sister has a 10 month old bitch and she is fab
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your excellent and informative answers, a lot to think about!
I can see both the pros and cons of 1 and 2 dogs from those of you who've spoken, and realistically looking at what you've said about 3+ and the lifestyle change involved, I don't think 3+ will be appropriate for me for quite some time!
I appreciate everyone's honesty, its very helpful.
I think from the advice given, I'd like to start with 1, possibly an older rescue, and add another later, seeing how we go.
I've looked after a pack of 25 before, and would NEVER want to again, I much prefer smaller packs, and I think for my future lifestyle, 2 will be a lovely number, there will be times when they need to entertain themselves for a bit, but if I get 1 larger and 1 smaller, I'm hoping it won't impede too much on me being able to take them everywhere with us, I fully intend the dog/s to be involved with everything!!
An Airedale and Border feels like a nice match of the qualities we want, but I guess we'll see closer the time.

About a week after we get back from our honeymoon, we're looking after 2 mini-schnauzers...see if that helps make our mind up
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I think, as with so many dog issues, it comes down to the individuals involved.

I currently have four here, two of which have 'issues', and I find it too much for comfort. If the individuals involved were easier it would be altogether different. I've had three that worked really well but mostly I find three to be the wrong dynamic - always one left out. Two is very cool.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 02:49 PM
three is the perfect number.. I can have one to one time with any of them, but not feel I am leaving anyone home alone. I have had 1, I found it too demanding on both of us. Selkie couldn't be all the dog I wanted her to be and I had to leave her alone csometimes to do me stuff, work, cinema. I always felt so guilty... 2 was good for a while Selkie and Jackjack kept each other company, but Jackjack was not a social dog and sometimes I just wanted to take Selkie with me like we used to.. So along came Pharaoh... Perfect... Now I can't imagine life without 3 dogs

3 is the magic number.. No more no less
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >