View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: 1, 2 or more?
1 - One dog at a time is plenty... 8 9.88%
2 - I like a pair of dogs... 31 38.27%
3+ - Life's not right without a pack... 42 51.85%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I think it depends so much on personal circumstances, amount of space, stage of life etc. So although I have 5, I voted for 2. I don't wish for a minute I had less dogs but overall when I was younger with kids and uncertain finances, and other demands on my time etc 2 was my limit. Now I'm older, the kids are fully grown, the house is paid for and we have money to spare 5 are great.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Until recently we only had one, but I'm enjoying two so voted for two. They get on so well together and are a real pair. We get a lot of pleasure watching them. Also it seems more 'natural' somehow to have more than one.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 07:46 AM
i voted 3 plus, i love having a little gang, however in the future when i can't mange a pack, i will always have at least 2, just think they do better in pairs, certainly the springers
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I'm a one at a time.
My choice of dog is always a rescue, so only having one means I could take a dog that might otherwise get overlooked. All my energy, love and training goes into making life special for that one.
I have found that taking one dog anywhere is relatively easy, whereas more than might not be so.
Also I know I can cope with all the bills for one: food, vet, classes, agility.
Sometimes I do think would the dog be better with a pal?
Given the choice of dog I rescue, it isn't usually the case.
Exactly my personal views and reasons for having one dog.

For me, having now experienced massive vet bills, I literally would have been financially crippled if I'd had two or more.

I nearly took on a white Boxer a few months back...so glad I didn't now for all the right reasons.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I've voted one - living with my lad is like having 3 sometimes!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I find 2 dogs perfect - they keep each other company, and are easy to manage. BUT what do you do when one is too old to do the usual walks? You can`t throw out a `retired` dog, and you can`t stop all the fun things you like to do with your dog....so you get another! Then the youngster needs a playmate so.....
That`s how come I`m up to 4. Two youngsters, two oldies. And it works really well.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Well i have three but started with one and everytime i added one i thought long and hard about it!
Three is not much harder than two but i do obviously have the extra costs and i cant get the whole family and three dogs in the car which is a pain! But i usually walk them on my own anyway.

I think its completly down to the individual, but i like at least two....but i would not go out and get two at the same time if i was starting over if you see what i mean!
I will probably stick at two when the time sadly comes that one goes as life will be different then when i am bit older, but for now i love a pack of three ! x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I love multi dog households! However, when I start getting too old will go down to two. Don't think I could be a single dog household again.
Becky
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I have 5 pretty large dogs and to be honest dont appear to have a life outside of the dogs lol the more dogs you have the more difficult to have holidays, go places, take a weekend away unless you have someone confident enough to come and look after your dogs while you are away from them, or can afford to put them all in kennels for that time, I personally have not had a holiday with my husband for getting on 8 years, we have seperate ones lol but thats not a bad thing IMO I go on holidays that are connected with dogs, hubby goes on holidays connected to motor bikes, neither of us would enjoy the others type of hol. I suppose as I get older I would still have a dog that is not in any doubt, possibly two smaller breeds that I can look after and take plces with me, two dogs seem to be aceptable in most places.

Mo
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I voted 2, Diesel was an only dog until he was about 2, then we got him a playmate and he's never been happier, I think it depends on your circumstances, I would love to have a whole pack in an ideal world but I am a single mum and just wouldnt have the time or money to care for any more I also have 5 cats.

I cant ever see me being a one dog household again though, Diesel is a different dog since getting him a companion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »