Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Thought when I mentioned the GSD that was born bob tailed that perhaps the docking of GSD's would avoid the many cases of 'anal furunculosis' although breeding to lift the tail set of reduce the croup would probably be more acceptable way of avoiding this health problem.
I must admit that I know very little about the condition, but I would think that breeding for correct set would be the best, although probably not the easiest, way to overcome it. Is it certain that tail set does predispose GSDs to the problem?

I wonder, using Boxers as an example, if this could become a problem in my breed. I have seen poorly set tails, both docked and now undocked. No-one is really sure yet about the way an undocked Boxer's tail should be carried
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I must admit that I know very little about the condition, but I would think that breeding for correct set would be the best, although probably not the easiest, way to overcome it. Is it certain that tail set does predispose GSDs to the problem?

I wonder, using Boxers as an example, if this could become a problem in my breed. I have seen poorly set tails, both docked and now undocked. No-one is really sure yet about the way an undocked Boxer's tail should be carried
Don't know SB, because of the number of GSD's I have had through my hands I did note that those with the heavy close fitting tails seemed to suffer this condition more than those with tails that were higher set and carried further away from the body. But...... as the condition is almost exclusive confined to GSD's with a few Belgian's also suffering one wonders if it is a hereditary matter, be interesting to see if some of the 'new breeds' that have been formed using GSD's as foundation animals and are now inter breeding start to suffer with the same problem. Mind you we still will not know conclusively if it is tail set or genes.

EDIT to add - think because Boxers have little hair on the tail it is unlikely to cause A.F. but may be the reason why they are traditionally docked and why they suffer damage so easily.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2006, 09:22 PM
sorry it won't let me post the link I think cos it says pet talk but it's not a forum!

Anyway it's an article called "Emma Hits Back on Tail-docking Criticism"
corsogirl
Dogsey Junior

05-01-2006, 07:19 AM
My two main breeds are not docked
But the Cane Corso is
Our vet is very good tail is injected first then a quick cut and then close the end and thats it pups back with mum....
A friend has her vet band her pups just as they do the lambs
and they always seem ok.....
But you should only use a very good caring vet not one that just cuts with out any care, there are a few out there that should not be vets......
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
i know of the breed the cane corsa but can you tell me why it is docked until you mentioned it i hadnt noticed it was docked which is suprising since its a mastiff breed. isnt it a spanish or portugese mastiff?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 01:06 PM
This may have already been posted but thought I'd add it for you anyway!
I came across it while searching Katie Patmore but it's by SPUD, Society Promoting Undocked Dogs.

SPUD
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2006, 02:59 PM
The site named above has not been updated since 2001.

Dawn R.
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
This may have already been posted but thought I'd add it for you anyway!
I came across it while searching Katie Patmore but it's by SPUD, Society Promoting Undocked Dogs.

SPUD
Looked at the site very interesting and without getting into this debate which both sides have their argument i will say that all the dogs look nice with tails except the doberman but its what you get used to. I have an undocked Weimaraner and now docked weimaraners look silly to me, Sorry but they do especially as having great danes for many years and the weimaraner is similar in head and body shape and they have their tails. In fact they probably get more injuries to their tails than any other dog. I have heard of many great danes having their tails amputated as they have wacked them against walls etc. I for one accidently cut of one joint of one of my great danes tail when she used to lay against the doors and i thought her tail was clear but the tiny tip wasnt and it took a long time to heal as it kept opening up.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by Morgandy
i know of the breed the cane corsa but can you tell me why it is docked until you mentioned it i hadnt noticed it was docked which is suprising since its a mastiff breed. isnt it a spanish or portugese mastiff?
The Cane Corso (aka Italian Mastiff, Sicilianos Branchiero) was used for hunting large game - boar, stag, bear. Therefore it was docked (at the 4th vertebra) for the same reason that other hunting dogs were docked: to prevent damage
Page 33 of 33 « First < 23 30 31 32 33