Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 07:44 AM

(Video) Nigredo learning some tricks..

So normally I don't give a crap about teaching a dog tricks. But Nigredo has an excellent recall, and is pretty much completely potty trained... so I thought I'd start up with a bit more than "sit" which he's got pretty well.

Right now he's learning:

Sit
Beg
Jump
Raise left paw
Raise right paw
Stay
Lay down
Leave it
Spin
Stand

Once he gets these I'm going to try teaching:

Roll over
Speak
Bang (dead dog)
Close door
Crawl
Fetch
Growl/Bare teeth
Stilt (walk on two back feet)
Heel (off leash)

I think he did well! Excuse my crappy pajamas and room etc.

I'm REALLY hoping to get him into agility once he's old enough and if he gets strong enough and not too huge.

He's pretty goofy and I'm not sure he'll be able to make many jumps etc. but I'm hopeful!

I only gave him a few treats, I'm now using the treat mainly to entice him as I'm getting ready to wean him off the treats and some of the hand motions as well.

BTW.. Look how TALL he's getting. I'm nearly 5'9" and he's like above my knee. He can also jump up on anything... beds, couches, tables etc. He will be 5 months on the 19th. I have no idea what kind of mutt he is... but he's awesome to me.

For anybody wondering about Jade.. she was simply crated downstairs while we had our session as nothing can get done with her around at this point.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

09-05-2013, 08:21 AM
That's a great video clip. He is fairly coming on! Good boy!

Nothing wrong with your pj's either - lovely and colourful!

Well done to you on your training.

Many thanks for sharing

Take care
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
That's a great video clip. He is fairly coming on! Good boy!

Nothing wrong with your pj's either - lovely and colourful!

Well done to you on your training.

Many thanks for sharing

Take care
Thanks for the nice comment. He's trying so hard.. and so am I! I'm sure he'll get it all down soon.. he's learned a lot in just a few days.

He's VERY easily distracted is the problem. I find myself having to manually steady him and get him to focus. Oh well! Time, effort and patience is key!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Nigredo is coming on really well. He is so focused on you.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks Darcyboy... He's a pretty good boy.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 03:16 PM
You're both doing really well. I try to get treats out of my hand fairly quickly but still use lots as a reward as everyone likes some payment for working hard!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
You're both doing really well. I try to get treats out of my hand fairly quickly but still use lots as a reward as everyone likes some payment for working hard!
Thanks! I'm not giving him a treat each time he obeys, it's mostly praise and the thought of maybe getting a treat that drives him. I could have not given him a single treat and he'd have still sat there and tried to do his tricks.

You might also notice the sound I'm making with my mouth (click click) which keeps him focused a bit since he's a puppy and he's easily distracted. Also, now you may be able to get a decent gauge of his size.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Thanks! I'm not giving him a treat each time he obeys, it's mostly praise and the thought of maybe getting a treat that drives him. I could have not given him a single treat and he'd have still sat there and tried to do his tricks.

You might also notice the sound I'm making with my mouth (click click) which keeps him focused a bit since he's a puppy and he's easily distracted. Also, now you may be able to get a decent gauge of his size.
Yes, I use a squeak sound....or 'wasssiss' (what's this).
Yeah I see is he is getting tall now.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Yes, I use a squeak sound....or 'wasssiss' (what's this).
Yeah I see is he is getting tall now.
It all works. I may try again with the clicker, but at this point it'll probably just ruin everything.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
It all works. I may try again with the clicker, but at this point it'll probably just ruin everything.
No it really really won't. Read up on it before hand, make sure you are clear at one you are doing, ask questions ...and then give it a go!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >