Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2008, 07:42 PM

More food advice needed!!

Sorry about this every one but i am still unsure of what food would be best for my my new dog!

I have gone on the websites of the food that was recommended. That was arden grange, royal canin and burns. The problem is on each website it has all different types of food! what would be the best food for me from each of the three for an adut bolognese (small size dog)

thanks for your help so far everyone!
Navigator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Its easy. The differences are minimal and are basically the size of the individual kibble and the packaging.

Unconfirmed rumors clam that a manufacturer produces kibble with meat and chicken and fish. They then use three different wrappings - one labeled with meat, one with chicken and one with fish. Perfectly legal.

I know from personal investigation that a manufacturer sells veterinary quality and pet shop quality of their popular brands, Vet quality being more expensive. The only difference is the filler (50%). In one its rice, the other wheat. Reading the declarations the seem very different, but with the help of Wicipedia I found that many things have more than one name. When questioned, the company claims that you should pay more for the information you get from a vet than from a pet shop.

I'm pretty sure that you can walk into a pet shop, close your eyes, spin around three or four times, throw a dart and buy the pet food you hit.

Your dog will be quite happy.
And don't worry about puppy food. Just give a little extra.
All the hoopla is pure marketing.

Nav
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't recommend chopping and changing food brands too much but you could always e-mail / ring them and ask for a sample. I know that Burns will send you a small sample if you ask them. If you get a sample of all 3 you could see which your dog prefers.

Can't comment on the kibble size for a small dog because I've never had a small dog so I'll leave that to someone else!

I would base your decision on what your dog likes, what you are happy to feed ingredient wise and how easily you can get it. Not sure about the other 2 but Burns does different flavours so I feed Max a variety so he doesn't get bored.

Hope this helps.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 08:49 PM
With Arden Grange the adult kibble in any of the 3 flavours would be fine.
Becky
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
is pedigree any good?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 08:43 AM
what are you feeding now and why do you want to change it ?
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2008, 08:52 AM
i haven't yet got my dog but i am in touch with several breeders one of which the puppies are due any day.

Also, two of my neighbors dogs who i often look after are on bakers. When they found out that bakers isn't really the best food they asked which food would be better.

I will try to feed my new dog the food the breeder gave it but if it isn't a good food or if it is really expensive...
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't give Bakers or Pedigree - they are full of additives, colourings etc. which are no good for your.

Seriously, stick with either Arden Grange or Burns. It's not expensive, especially for a small dog (I think AG is slightly cheaper than Burns). Yes, you pay £15-20 for a sack, but it lasts literally for months.

If you go for the Arden Grange (you can order online and have it delivered to your door) I would recommend the chicken and rice as it is the smallest pieces. My friend has a yorkie x jack russell who is a tiny dog, and he loves the chicken and rice Arden Grange.
xrr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:56 PM
okay thanks!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 04:08 PM
i use pro plan, all my dogs are on this from a small pocket jack russell upto a lab they do really well on this and the size of kibble is a good size for each breed the jacks are on adult they do a small breed one as well so if the adult is a bit big you can get a smaller size. i have had no probs with this brand and they do a sensitive as well so covers every thing.hope that helps hun. there is a web site as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >