Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Help with cones

Okay, sorry if this is out of place...

We have a CAT (not dog) who has a lampshade/bell/cone/e-collar on her head because she got into a fight with our other cat and she has a scratch on her ear that is being treated.

Mind you they are generally okay, but sometimes Blue (14 years, 9 lbs) starts fights with Pooks (7 years, 15 lbs), but due to Blues small size and age, Pooks usually wins these days.

We keep their claws as short as possible, and these fights are pretty rare as Blue came here as a kitten and so did Pooks and they have known each other for a long time. We always break them up as soon as we hear them, but sometimes scratches happen.

Blue has never had a cone before and she keeps backing up as if she's trying to back out of a tunnel. Poor thing She's now confined to the den because she backed off a bed after my mom put her up there and she nearly backed down the stairs.

She's hiss city, because she feels vulnerable and she can't really jump or run with the big cone on her head. I am trying to keep the other animals away from her as much as possible.

She gets it off twice a day to eat while supervised, but then it's placed back on her head. The ear will no doubt be fine in a few days and the cone can come off.

How in the world can I help her get more comfortable in the cone? I tried to use a treat to coax her forward, but it's not working at all. We have to carry her into the litterbox and everything, she won't walk forward.

It was placed on yesterday and she's been backing around the house ever since. It's a sad sight, truly.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Lacey has had her's on for almost two weeks now.Was just wondering if its a see through one you have?Have no idea why they make them that animals can't see out of them but there you go
Is it a clear plastic one?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh, Lacey... it's so sad. I feel so sorry for her. Here is a picture of her cone. I feel that letting her lay on couches is a bad idea because she backed off of the bed yesterday.

Cats so hate laying on the floor, even on soft things. My mother and I had a BIG disagreement because she always sleeps with Blue, but it's dangerous to put a cat that won't walk forward up on something high.

The cone is big because it's the part on her head right under her ear flap we don't want her getting to. She sleeps FINE in it, but she keeps backing up... which is the problem. It's plastic, but a dark grey.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Myra(( hugs))
Just going by the pic,I can't imagine he'd be able to see out of each side,maybe that's what is making him fear going forward.
I changed Lacey's last time because of this.First one she got,she couldn't see zippo This one is green and I can see all around her head in it,which means she can see out
Aww,looks so cute too...poor wee thing
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 08:41 PM
So sorry,been saying he
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 09:56 PM
I know this is a UK site but maybe you can find something similar in the US.
http://www.comfycollars.co.uk/

They look a lot more comfy than the cone ones..
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Poor thing. I've never seen a cat in a cone of shame

I agree about the visibility aspect. Hope it's of soon and no further occurrences. Maybe keep them seperated?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the kind responses everyone. She's never worn a cone before and she has no idea what to do. She did a lot more backing around the house and she still won't walk forward.

It's so sad, I feel soooo bad for her and even worse because I don't know what to do to help her. Also, this is the only cone they had in cat size. Everything else was dog sized.

I also asked the vet, and they only had plain white ones, which were opaque. I opted for this one at the vets advice. I wish I could find a collar like that in the USA Florence, but all I see in cat size are these...

And obviously this wouldn't be any better than the one she has, and she'd STILL keep trying to back out of it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 04:02 PM
How long does she need to keep it on for? Does she have stitches?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Might sound really stupid but would she be less stressed with the paw she uses to scratch at it bound in a sock or summat?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >