Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Hedgehogs

About a week ago I let the dogs out for their late night wee, and found Witty barking at a hedgehog. Same thing next night - Witty barking and giving the poor thing a headache (well he's a terrier, it's in the job description), Bogie nudging it and Pepe getting all excited because he knew the others had found something and he kept looking up in the air expecting it to have flown away.

So, since then I've only let the dogs out into the front garden. I put food out for it every night, which I have seen it eating, and bought a hedgehog house in case it decides to stay. I would have thought it should be hibernating by now, but I'm wondering if it might be a juvenile not yet the correct weight. I'm not sure whether I should weigh it (would being picked up be very stressful?) or just carry on feeding it?

There was a terrific frost here last night - I saw him out and about at 9.30, but as it was so cold I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to tuck himself up somewhere from now on.

Pity dogs don't hibernate - it would be nice not to have to turn out in the freezing cold every day!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Hibernating dogs lol! Well Bella almost hibernates inasmuchas she buries herself under heaps of blankets the minute she judges it to be chilly (anything below about 25deg that is for her).

First time I ever had a hedgehog driving a dog nuts was in Berks one night and the dog just would NOT shut up barking at the front door. I kept looking out there (quiet cul de sac no passing traffic) couldn't see a thing. It wasn't until next morning I found the problem. Hedgehog had got into a large plastic bag of rubbish I'd put in the porch just outside the door ready to take to the end in the morning (Berks didn't use dustbins then - just black sacks). And it was rustling around in there unable to find its way out again!

Dog could obviously hear this from the other side of the front door. I couldn't. I was walking straight past it every time I went out to see what was the problem - looking for cats mainly!
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 04:45 PM
That reminds me of a few years ago when the bin men were due, so I was doing a last minute check round the house with a black bin bag. Thank God I heard the rustling and checked - there was an anxious looking ratty face looking out at me. (This was Mabel, a pet rat I hasten to add).

It's already dark here - soon time to put food out for the hedgehog. I give him (or her) a mixture of different things recommended on wildlife websites, but the favourite seems to be the dogs' Naturediet.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Where you been?Missed you
Looking after hedgehogs by the looks of it,good for you Can't advise,sorry,but imagine if you have to pick it up for some reason it'd be best to cover it with something and maybe wear some gloves
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I've been busy novel writing for NaNoWriMo (it's utter drivel, needless to say), but I have been popping in from time to time to spy on you all and eavesdrop on your conversations.

The wildlife sites recommend using gardening gloves to pick them up, though I know I've picked them up in the past and it doesn't hurt at all. Though perhaps they might not like the human scent if you pick them up with bare hands - haven't a clue.

I used to live near a wildlife rescue place, but I don't know if there's any round here. I'll have to ask at the vets - I don't want to interfere unless I feel that it's too weak to survive otherwise.

So far the dogs have 'found' an exhausted racing pigeon and now the hedgehog - I wonder what the next thing will be!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Hello Janet these people will be able to advise you...

http://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/rescues.php
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
That's a really comprehensive site - many thanks.

I went to put food out at 5.30, and he (or she) was already there. I normally see it at about 6ish in the back garden, and then again in the front garden much later.

Unless, of course, there are more than one!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Well done with the writing..maybe we should have a sneak preview
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Certainly not. How can I expect to make my millions if I allow people free previews?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
Certainly not. How can I expect to make my millions if I allow people free previews?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >