Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I probably shouldn't get involved in this but I feel so strongly on one of them .... well actually all of them but will only comment on one. Here in the UK our schools and NHS hospitals are suffering beyond belief because we have opened our doors to all in the EU. A huge mistake as far as I'm concerned . I saw some statistics only a few days ago stating the huge percentage of Europeans that are coming in to the UK just to benefit from our health care .... this percentage was so high that it HAS been detrimental to the native Brits. Much longer waiting times, lack of hospital beds, etc etc. I strongly believe that any EU member should pay a percentage of all medical care. I personally wish we would pull out of the EU.

I wasn't going to get involved but now I've started I'm having trouble stopping Any one who chooses to come and live here should abide by our rules of Government, should learn our language and not moan. If they don't like it they should b*gger off back to where they came from and not stay here and milk us for what they can. We are too much of a soft touch and are now known for it.

I'll sprint off now before someone lobs a rock at me.
well said !!
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
You make a very good point if this is actually occurring , and that would depend on the stats? Can you provide a link to them ?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
You make a very good point if this is actually occurring , and that would depend on the stats? Can you provide a link to them ?
I'll go and have a look and see if I can find where I saw them but they were also on a radio programme I was listening to. Bear with me as it may take me a while .... if not tonight, tomorrow so watch this space
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2013, 09:11 PM
I have had a trawl around but as yet have not found the article I read the other day ..... I will keep looking for it and my OH is also having a look because he too read it.

However, this is another link from some time ago and will give you a rough idea of the way the article I read 'went', and also this one wasn't just for EU members but do read through it as it does mention the influx of Romanian and Bulgarian nationals.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/420...o-foreign-mums this link is from August this year. I'm still looking ..............
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I have no idea of the cost of legal immigrants but THIS is the cost for health and education of illegal immigrants.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 09:37 AM
There is a difference between EU Citizens who have every right to reside and work in any EU country and non EU Third Party Nationals.

Countries who didn't want to take in people from other EU countries shouldn't have joined the EU - simple. Lots of them didn't envisage the huge number of countries that would eventually be in the EU club but EU member states can, if they wanted to, LEAVE the EU (even if it is not a simple procedure).

When Cyprus joined the EU it was a 'net contributor' which means it doesn't suck money out. For the life of me I can't think of a good reason why they joined (I think they thought they EU would kick the Turkish Army out tho). Many many Cypriots now wish Cyprus wasn't in the EU. In fact they wish they'd abandon the Euro and go back to the pound and leave the EU. (But, just like the UK, I don't think they will leave) there are benefits to being in the club too - and they have to weigh those against the cons - like having an open door to millions of Eastern Europeans.

Asylum seekers and illegal immigrants are another matter. And this thread is actually about them (according to the title).

To clarify - an ASYLUM SEEKER is someone who has applied for asylum and is waiting for a decision as to whether or not they are a refugee. In other words, in the UK an asylum seeker is someone who has asked the Government for refugee status and is waiting to hear the outcome of their application.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 09:42 AM
In fact there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding immigrants, eu citizens, asylum seekers, refugees, illegal immigrants etc.

UNHCR website sets out a very clear explanation of what they all are and dispels the myth that the UK takes in more Asylum seekers than any other country does. Also makes it clear what they are 'entitled to'. Most Asylum Seekers are not allowed to work by the UK Govt.

http://www.unhcr.org.uk/about-us/the-uk-and-asylum.html

Does the UK have more asylum seekers than most countries?
No it does not. With an estimated 70,400 asylum applications, the United States of America was the largest single recipient of new asylum claims in 2012. accounting for 8% of all individual applications worldwide
http://unhcr.org/asylumtrends/UNHCR%...202012_WEB.pdf.
Germany was second with 64,500 asylum applications, followed by South Africa (61,500), France (55,100), and Sweden (43,900).
I posted the facts elsewhere about the very high number that Cyprus takes in taking into account the very small indigenous population (under 1 million) compared with other countries. Same for Malta - both being EU member states.

A UN report has confirmed that Malta receives the highest number of asylum seekers in the world when the figures are compared with national populations.
For every 1,000 inhabitants, Malta received 20 irregular immigrants between 2007 and 2011, according to the UN refugee agency’s report entitled Asylum Levels and Trends in Industrialised Countries 2011, released yesterday.
Cyprus came in second place, with 17 immigrants per 1,000 inhabitants, while Sweden ranked third, with 15.6.
Just imagine how many the UK would have if it had 20 for every 1000 inhabitants!

You have to look at the numbers in relation to the population and also in relation to the per capita GDP.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I obviously mis-read the title and also the OP, which mentions both legal and illegal immigrants, hence my post #25.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I probably shouldn't get involved in this but I feel so strongly on one of them .... well actually all of them but will only comment on one. Here in the UK our schools and NHS hospitals are suffering beyond belief because we have opened our doors to all in the EU. A huge mistake as far as I'm concerned . I saw some statistics only a few days ago stating the huge percentage of Europeans that are coming in to the UK just to benefit from our health care .... this percentage was so high that it HAS been detrimental to the native Brits. Much longer waiting times, lack of hospital beds, etc etc. I strongly believe that any EU member should pay a percentage of all medical care. I personally wish we would pull out of the EU.

I wasn't going to get involved but now I've started I'm having trouble stopping Any one who chooses to come and live here should abide by our rules of Government, should learn our language and not moan. If they don't like it they should b*gger off back to where they came from and not stay here and milk us for what they can. We are too much of a soft touch and are now known for it.

I'll sprint off now before someone lobs a rock at me.
Oh

Thing is, I actually like it here. I like the people, the language, the culture. If I had to pay more though I'd have to leave since I already earn so little (minimum wage) that it's hard to survive. For exampe, if I had to pay percentage to the NHS I wouldn't be able to have Ella, and that thought makes me incredible sad.
I pay for my NHS by working here and paying taxes. The NHS isn't free, it's paid for by NI and taxes, taken from people who work. So really, should I have to pay more than other people who work in the UK?
I've worked here longer than say someone who's just come from school and started a job, but they are entitled to 'free' health care.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Oh

Thing is, I actually like it here. I like the people, the language, the culture. If I had to pay more though I'd have to leave since I already earn so little (minimum wage) that it's hard to survive. For exampe, if I had to pay percentage to the NHS I wouldn't be able to have Ella, and that thought makes me incredible sad.
I pay for my NHS by working here and paying taxes. The NHS isn't free, it's paid for by NI and taxes, taken from people who work. So really, should I have to pay more than other people who work in the UK?
I've worked here longer than say someone who's just come from school and started a job, but they are entitled to 'free' health care.
I can assure you my argument was not aimed at someone like you who clearly speaks our language and has settled over here You clearly are contributing to the benefit of this country which is wonderful and I welcome you all, its the ones who come to settle here, never have any intention of working, and free load off our schools, hospitals, government and pay no taxes etc. etc. So no you are very very welcome and offence taken I hope.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >