register for free

Dog News

Drunken dog attacks 10 year old

It has been reported that a 'drunk' dog attacked a 10 year old boy after the dog was given strong lager. The Lancashire Telegraph say that Diesel, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, was given Stella Artois directly from a can before he attacked Joe Pickering.

Burnley Magistrates' Court heard that the owner of the dogs girlfriend’s uncle, Paul Ashworth, had taken Diesel for a walk without permission on what was described as a 'very hot afternoon' and that he had been bitten by another dog.

After the walk, the court heard that Mr Ashworth poured a quantity of Stella Artois lager directly from a can into Deisel's mouth in his garden in Keighley Avenue, Colne, because the dog was panting. It wasn't long after that that, Joe Pickering, who was leaning over a fence at the property, was bitten, leaving him with a gouge the 'size of a postage stamp' above his right eye.

The Police had to bring a civil case against the dog's owner James Holmes, aged 24 of Colne as they were unable to pursue criminal proceedings as it happened on private property.

James had to fight tooth and nail against an application for the dog's destruction, which was brought by police. Luckily the dog's life was spared due to in part, a report from a dog psychologist, David Gilman. Gilman stated "I can’t recommend the uncle be put down but I’ll plead strongly on the dog’s behalf."

I think most of us would happen to agree with the dog psychologist. Yet again, another dog being let down by an irresponsible human.

Via the Lancashire Telepgrah

Your comments and views:
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Whilst this event is ghastly hopefully this demonstrates that the police CAN pursue such incidents under the relevant legilsation contrary to what many believe.

Section 2 of the Dogs Act 1871
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:06 PM
And I bet there`s a law somewhere that would have allowed them to prosecute the moron in charge of the dog. But it`s probably less paperwork to seek a destruction order for a tormented animal.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Disgusting, poor dog, how can he be responsible for his actions if a moron gives him alcohol. It a wonder the dog wasn't poisoned.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 07:03 PM
i wish they had put the uncle down... not like he might have grown a brain now is it ?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I grew up near Colne - this doesn't surprise me..... poor dog.
Tiny Paws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Arghhhhhhh!!!! Irresponsible dog owners make me want to scream.
How dare they treat animals in such a way????
It is the owners that need putting to sleep and not the poor dogs.
I am so angry after reading this that I could swear like a trooper!!!
callumsmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:38 AM
More stupid owners in the news again !!Words fail me as what sort of people do we have to share our planet with ..
snoopy1
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2011, 03:03 PM
makes me so angry, its the owners not the poor dogs that are at fault.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top