register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Which food do you feed?
Purina Pro Plan 2 1.27%
Pedigree Professional 0 0%
James Wellbeloved 21 13.38%
Arden Grange 18 11.46%
Orijen 15 9.55%
other 114 72.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:05 AM
daphni arrived being fed pro plan, i switched it to royal canin but she had so many problems on it, dry itchy skin, pulling her hair out, tear staining and bad breath

asbo arrived also on pro plan...

i switched them both to raw. wont go back now they love it i dont mind adding that bit extra time preparing the food. its cheaper to buy, the other food was costing me £10 a 5kg bag. i dont think my dogs would go back to eating kibble now. daphni was fairly fussy before with kibble and different meats, so now she is on raw and eats every last bit, i wouldnt want to change her back onto anything else. asbo loves his food, but he loves his food in general, and to be fair will eat anything!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 05:18 PM
I've voted other, for Ruff & Ready as both ours are doing so well on it. Lovely coats, less stools and they love it. I like the fact you can serve it dry or add warm water and it makes a gravy (which Marius loves in particular )

Arden Grange is a cracking food too, but Marius got that bored with it in the end we decided to swop.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:09 PM
None of these as I think they all include "meat meal" and I have read up on what this actually comprises and it's not appetising! (yes I know they are dogs and not humans but even so!).

I feed either "Barking Heads" salmon and potato which is similar to "Fish4dogs" or home-cooked which is chicken or turkey mince cooked in the slow cooker with a few veggies and brown rice or pasta.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Do you mean "meat meal" (as in an unnamed source of meat) or something like "chicken meal" or "lamb meal"?
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2011, 10:36 PM
My two are currently on JWB, Tyler on the grain free variety. Changed him over from "the natural dog food company" after he developed a nasty yeast infection in his ear that the vet suspected might be caused by a food allergy, possibly intolerant to Rice. I've found the ingredients to be comparable to other similar brands on the market, such as Burns etc. They get Natures:Menu meat mixed in with their food sometimes to.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Challenge Salmon and Potato, previously Arden Grange and before that Burns.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Raw fed here, and wouldn't change it.
We had a foster come here and we've since adopted him. He came with a bag of Wagg, and the amount of soft poop we had to lift was unbelievable. Now he's almost totally on raw, such a change! Can't wait till we have him completely converted.

Dry foods I've experiance of:
Burns - good, but expensive
Wainrights - not far off Burns, but cheaper
Autarky - good, vat free, but contains alot of maize
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Do you mean "meat meal" (as in an unnamed source of meat) or something like "chicken meal" or "lamb meal"?
Sorry-just spotted this! I mean "Chicken meal" or "lamb meal" etc. Think it's the bits that not normally used and can be beaks, fur, feathers etc. That's what I read up in a pet-food book anyway.

Perhaps it's just me being vegetarian but the thought of my dogs eating this type of "meat" makes me feel ill!
tracypj
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:05 PM
We feed raw with some of our food o the odd occasions.

We started this with our second dog as he was allergic to everything due to having his vaccinations (so the vet told us), and raw chicken made him so much better.

When we got Holly we started her straight away on raw and that's what she knows. She was starting to become a bit fussy and weird though, right until we got Toby. There are still things she won't touch that she used to, but I'm sure that'll right itself soon.

As for Toby, we gave him raw food the first night, and he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! It's done him loads of good already, having cleaned his manky teeth well, and he's much more clear eyed than he was when we got him home.

I would never go back to processed foods knowing what they put in them.

T x
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Sorry-just spotted this! I mean "Chicken meal" or "lamb meal" etc. Think it's the bits that not normally used and can be beaks, fur, feathers etc. That's what I read up in a pet-food book anyway.

Perhaps it's just me being vegetarian but the thought of my dogs eating this type of "meat" makes me feel ill!
Apparently meat meal in this country is exactly that. Meat that has been dried so if it starts with say, 'chicken meal' in a dry food, instead of 'chicken' then it will actually have a lot more chicken in the product than the one that just says 'chicken' since its going in there as a measured dry matter basis.
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »