Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 10:26 AM

A bit of a conumdrum. (early spays)

Hi there. Wonder whether anyone here is able to give me any pointers. I currently have a bit of a connundrum as Betsy, my 6 month old BC x Working lab pup has an appointment on thursday to be spayed. My vets are willing to do them from 5 months. I have no intention of breeding from her. I don't want her at risk of pyo, I don't want her at risk of any cancers that are unnecessary. I also want any decision to positively impact behaviour, rather than negatively (aware that no substitute for training!) as she has gone through a bit of an intense fear stage and I don't want to make that worse- she is also quite feisty and although not agressive has a tendency to be a bit "in your face"- although I'm aware that could be partly because of her age and breed but I can cope with that!

However, my lovely agility (pre agility, don't worry, no pressure on joints before anyone panics!) trainer has pointed out some of Chris Zink's work, having attended a seminar last year. Her doggy physio and vets also support her decision. I would love to get into agility and freestyle "properly" but dont want any decisions I make now to negatively affect her. She is the type of pup that I can swear descends from tigger, so I don't want to set back her growth plates in any way whatever decision I make even if I never end up doing doggy sports.

If you were in my position, what would you do? I just want the best for betsy. Thanks for reading this!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I have family in Canada where juvenile spaying is much used. There is so much controversy here about is but over time it has been accepted as safe and preferable in many ways.

Every new idea gets this of course; all always depend what you read and who you trust.
I was not able to find a vet in Ireland who had ever heard of it

There is the issue of hormone memory.

The growth factor is interesting. The only difference we have seen is that a dog, but more especially this is with males which does not always get appreciated, is that they get a little leggy. This does not seem to affect females in the same way.

I would look to find those online who have used this rather than theories, frankly
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd wait till she is 12-18months before spaying, to let her develop mentally and physically.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi Betsy's mum,
Bailiie was spayed at just over 5 months old. My vet (I trust her with my life) said the RSPCA were suggesting 16 weeks old; I wasn't happy with her so young.
Bailiie came round quickly from her op and once home soon became her usual self She was playing with her toys and bouncing around (under strict control of course) after a couple of hours - I don't think she realised she'd had a major operation
We kept her warm and comfortable and my OH stayed home with her for a couple of days whilst she recuperated. I kept her away from training for two weeks, just practising at home and once her stitches were out after 10 days (she never tried to chew them out or had to wear a lampshade - she was the perfect patient ) we went back to normal.
It never bothered her at all; I don't think it's changed her as a dog, all her traits have stayed with her and she's just as she was. She loves her training, both obedience and agility and I'm glad we had her spayed when we did. She too can be a little feisty but like you and Betsy, we deal with it; I think it goes with her breed

Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
Hi Betsy's mum,
Bailiie was spayed at just over 5 months old. My vet (I trust her with my life) said the RSPCA were suggesting 16 weeks old; I wasn't happy with her so young.
Bailiie came round quickly from her op and once home soon became her usual self She was playing with her toys and bouncing around (under strict control of course) after a couple of hours - I don't think she realised she'd had a major operation
We kept her warm and comfortable and my OH stayed home with her for a couple of days whilst she recuperated. I kept her away from training for two weeks, just practising at home and once her stitches were out after 10 days (she never tried to chew them out or had to wear a lampshade - she was the perfect patient ) we went back to normal.
It never bothered her at all; I don't think it's changed her as a dog, all her traits have stayed with her and she's just as she was. She loves her training, both obedience and agility and I'm glad we had her spayed when we did. She too can be a little feisty but like you and Betsy, we deal with it; I think it goes with her breed

This is exactly the experience of my family in Canada who have been juvenile spaying for forty years and never any problems. The only effect noticed and they are trainers and breeders of high repute is that dogs tend to be a little taller,.

Of course it is right to question anything new which is why I said ask those who have had it done.
SmallBlackDog
New Member!
Male 

02-12-2012, 03:06 AM
I think anything over 4 months is used here at many vets.

From what I have been told by vets it can prevent sex organ cancers, and will only modify your dogs behaviour regarding when other dogs are on heat or if a male wants to challenge a male because other females are around.

With my dog he stayed pretty much like he was pre op, a dominant but social dog. I would only not desex a dog if I had full off lead control of them and I was breeding with them.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 06:36 AM
I would also wait, especially with a larger breed.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I would also wait, especially with a larger breed.
Why, please, apart from custom.
kimmie91
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2012, 12:46 AM
My lurcher was done at 6 month, she is now 2yr 3months old. I dont think at all in any way has changed her. She has grown up in nice proportion, lovely temperment and still as cheeky as she used to be. I dont regret getting her done at 6month and if i was to get another pup i would also get them done around this age