Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:08 PM

For those who are interested - A Paddy update

Some of you know about Paddy, the dog someone I know is trying to rehome. Well, after a long talk with my parents, they agreed to let me keep him… so, on Sunday I went to pick him up. Unfortunately though, it isn’t meant to be He has settled in amazingly, and Jake has been fantastic… but, my mum is allergic to him

If I was nearly in a position to move out, and get my own place, then my mum would be willing to suffer for a short time. But, I’m not. So it isn’t fair for her to have to put up with the allergies, until I move out, especially coz she has asthma which makes it worse. I’m not sure why she is allergic to him, and then not to Jake. I am absolutely gutted, especially because of how well he has settled. It feels like he has always been here. Jake has made me so proud, I expected he would be good with Paddy but I thought he might take a while to get used to him being around and to not get jealous. He has been perfect since the minute we brought Paddy here though. My mum and dad think Paddy is great too.

I was actually expecting Paddy to be much more hard work, than what he is. He can be slightly gobby but he is getting much better, and he actually sleeps more than I expected… I was told he doesn’t sleep during the day, but he has been great here. The only problem is recall, so he has been on Jake's old long line when out for walks. He is a fantastic dog, and will be a great dog for someone… I just wish that someone was me

There are a few potential homes for him. There is a local potential home, but I don’t think it is a suitable home for a dog like Paddy. There are a few other options but those pose the problem of how do we get Paddy to his new home… Unfortunately it isn’t my decision though, the woman whose decision it is though, is on holiday so I will need to talk to her when she gets home. The potential local home took him when the woman went on holiday, so now she is wanting to take him back tomorrow until the woman gets home, so that he isn’t here coz of my mum, with the hope she can keep him… I don't feel ok about that though, and just don't know what to do now.

The boys together…

Will let everyone know where he finds his forever home.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:14 PM
That is such a shame Lozzi because he is a beautiful dog.

It is a bit odd that your mum would react allergically (in what way if you don't mind me asking?) to Paddy and not Jake? I was under the impression that if you are allergic to something, you would be allergic to it in every form...cats, dogs, peanuts. Perhaps not!

I presume the original breeder is a no go? what about a breed specific rescue?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:15 PM
That is such a shame, he is such a lovely boy.

If he ever wants to come for a holiday with me send him on down
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Is there nothing she can take to alleviate her symptoms until she perhaps acclimatises to him? My husband hasn't been allergic to Axel, buthe is to some other dogs. He has a nasal spray prescribed that helps him with his dust allergies and he is also asthmatic. Hopefully there will be something she can do to help so you can keep him, he's divine!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Awwww you must be gutted Lozzi, I remember those gorgeous pics you posted before when they were all out together having a great time, I know how much you'll miss him not forgetting Jake of course

I understand why this potential home wants to take him now, but maybe you can hold on to him until the other lady gets back from holiday? It won't be good for Paddy to go to her and then be moved on yet again if the original lady doesn't want him to go to this local one. What a dilema you've got there now, but I'm so sorry to hear he won't be staying at yours, that's a real shame, I bet he's really settled in. All the best, and I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out. Can't your mum get some proof that it's Paddy causing her problems or do you already know, maybe it's because of his longer hair?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:23 PM
My ex was allergic to dogs and had asthma, but coped with 2 dogs and rabbits and guinea pigs fine with pills....might be something to look into seeing as you say your mum loves him too
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I am allergic to some breeds of dog and not others - Beardies, staffies and dobes set me off something chronic.

Would your Mum try anti histamines for a couple of weeks and see if she can get used to him - they work wonders for me with things that set off my allergies and quite often you can get used to the thing and no longer need them ...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm sure we can all help work something out Lauren...the lovely person on here who wants him but has a problem due to the distance between you, would be an ideal home for him.

I would hold onto him for a while, until the lady comes back off holiday, you have had a chance to chat with you know who and see if we can't all help out getting him down there.

If your mum would have been happy to keep him there until you found a place I'm sure she would be kind enough to let him stay for a few more weeks in need.

I must just say Lauren, the little chap has blossomed whilst in your care
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
That is such a shame Lozzi because he is a beautiful dog.

It is a bit odd that your mum would react allergically (in what way if you don't mind me asking?) to Paddy and not Jake? I was under the impression that if you are allergic to something, you would be allergic to it in every form...cats, dogs, peanuts. Perhaps not!

I presume the original breeder is a no go? what about a breed specific rescue?
She gets a 'tight' chest and sneezes a lot. She has always been fine with Jake, and was fine with Sam too, but Paddy seems to set her off. She gets it with rabbits, cats and horses too. Yet was fine with my guinea pigs...

I wanted to find the breeder, but we have no idea who they are... I am going to suggest breed specific rescue to her, but i do worry that she will let the woman we know take him... coz she knows her.

Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
That is such a shame, he is such a lovely boy.

If he ever wants to come for a holiday with me send him on down
Thanks, and I will do

Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Is there nothing she can take to alleviate her symptoms until she perhaps acclimatises to him? My husband hasn't been allergic to Axel, buthe is to some other dogs. He has a nasal spray prescribed that helps him with his dust allergies and he is also asthmatic. Hopefully there will be something she can do to help so you can keep him, he's divine!
She has Urticaria, and already has to take an antihistamine everyday for that, and is still reacting to him... I will have a look at things she could maybe take and bring the idea up with her

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Awwww you must be gutted Lozzi, I remember those gorgeous pics you posted before when they were all out together having a great time, I know how much you'll miss him not forgetting Jake of course

I understand why this potential home wants to take him now, but maybe you can hold on to him until the other lady gets back from holiday? It won't be good for Paddy to go to her and then be moved on yet again if the original lady doesn't want him to go to this local one. What a dilema you've got there now, but I'm so sorry to hear he won't be staying at yours, that's a real shame, I bet he's really settled in. All the best, and I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out. Can't your mum get some proof that it's Paddy causing her problems or do you already know, maybe it's because of his longer hair?
Oh, I definitely will miss him! He is a fabulous boy!

I'm not sure what is best to do tbh. He has already stayed at the other womans, so he knows her and the house... I do think it would be best if he went sooner if she does keep him, so he doesn't get too settled here... but I don't think she should keep him. It really is a dilemma, made worse for me by the fact that the decisions for him aren't mine to make... that is what I find the worst thing.

We think it must be Paddy, coz she is allergic to a few different animals and it's always the same way. Also, when she goes out for the day, she is absolutely fine but about 10 minutes after coming home, she starts reacting again... I was thinking it could maybe be the longer hair, coz most of the dogs she is around, all have short hair and she is generally fine with them.

Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
My ex was allergic to dogs and had asthma, but coped with 2 dogs and rabbits and guinea pigs fine with pills....might be something to look into seeing as you say your mum loves him too
I will have a look into it, but she is already taking an antihistamine everyday for Urticaria... I'm not sure how much she will do though, coz although she loves him too, she wasn't wanting to keep him and I feel bad that this has happened after she was good enough to agree to letting me keep him.

Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I am allergic to some breeds of dog and not others - Beardies, staffies and dobes set me off something chronic.

Would your Mum try anti histamines for a couple of weeks and see if she can get used to him - they work wonders for me with things that set off my allergies and quite often you can get used to the thing and no longer need them ...
I think my mum must be like you, coz she is fine with Jake, and was fine with Sam too. We have relatives who have dogs and she hasn't to my memory reacted to any of them (although she spends limited time around them).

She already takes an antihistamine everyday so not sure why she is still reacting to him...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'm sure we can all help work something out Lauren...the lovely person on here who wants him but has a problem due to the distance between you, would be an ideal home for him.

I would hold onto him for a while, until the lady comes back off holiday, you have had a chance to chat with you know who and see if we can't all help out getting him down there.

If your mum would have been happy to keep him there until you found a place I'm sure she would be kind enough to let him stay for a few more weeks in need.

I must just say Lauren, the little chap has blossomed whilst in your care
Thanks Sheree, I really hope we can work something out. I'm not sure when she will be back, was meant to be tomorrow coz she wasn't wanting to leave Paddy too long, but since I said I could keep him she said she would maybe stay a few days longer. She is staying with family so can stay as long as she wants. I have told her about my mum though, so she might come back when originally planned.

I will definitely be having a chat with her when she gets back, and see what we can do about getting him into a good home my dad also suggested my aunt, but she lives in Uist so getting him up there presents a challenge. We also haven't asked her yet

Thank you
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »