Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Well it's a dream and it's nice to have dreams.

But yes, one of the first things I thought of was how someone who goes out to work could keep nine dogs.
actually with a full time job, out for maybe 8 hours or so
even only one dog to own would already be too much
as how could you let your dog that long alone
if you are calling yourself being a dog lover
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
actually with a full time job, out for maybe 8 hours or so
even only one dog to own would already be too much
as how could you let your dog that long alone
if you are calling yourself being a dog lover
I couldn't. But it seems (even from reading threads on here) many others do so. One even saying their dog is left for 12 to 13 hours a day. When you consider you have to spend some of the remaining hours asleep - I just wonder what is the point of wanting a dog when you can spend such a tiny amount of your life/time with it?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
I only have two dogs, the second has only been with us for 6 weeks, but I have dog sat for people with up to six dogs.

It certainly isn't for me, I want to be able to go on one walk, come back home and have a cuppa....rather than swap dogs and go back out again! Lol!

Since having a second dog the things that I have noticed is the rise in noise in the house when the dogs play...and of course you have to consider your neighbours. I you don't meant them making too much noise you need to make sure there is enough entertainment for them and I have certainly noticed that I have had to spend a lot more on bones, kongs, chew etc...and then of course you have to manage any resource guarding, ensuring you don't upset the natural balance though because otherwise all hell will break loose when you are not there.....unless you plan to crate them and then that leads to a whole minefield of other issue. Would you have space for nine crates? Could you afford nine crates? Personally I feel dogs should only be crated for a couple of hours at a time. If you are going to have a huge dog bill, presumably you will have to work full time....are you considering a career where you can work from home? Otherwise you are going also have to add dog walking needs to your list of considerations. I use a dog walker very infrequently, but when I do it's £10 per dog for an hours walk. Or £450 a week for 9 dogs ...£1800 a month....£21,600 a year! A you know it's important to exercise dogs but even more important when you have lots of dogs living in your average sized home.

You then have to consider behaviour. If you are going to have multiple dogs its even more important that they are well behaved and you have the time to ensure they are bonded to you. A dog in a house load of other dogs is going to bond to the other dogs rather than you, unless you spend time training with them individually.

I didn't get a second dog until my first was fine years old, and very stable and dog and person friendly and relatively well trained. Personally I think, only then should you consider adding to your family of dogs. I know a lot of people wouldn't agree with that. If the worst come to the worst and you are not able to care for your 2,4 or 9 dogs what will happen to them? Rescue centres often find it hard to home dogs in pairs...let alone in bigger numbers.

My last point would be that you think you wouldn't marry...and maybe I'm presuming that you also mean that you wouldn't want children? Well, a lot of people (not everyone before everyone shouts at me) do feel very different as they get older and their biological clock starts ticking!

Oh and sorry....one last point. Personally I wonder at the wisdom of buying 9 dogs when there are so many looking for homes already. Often tiny puppies, if you felt you had to have them from puppies, but I know that is a contentious subject as lots of people would only ever buy rather than rescue.

Good luck with your dream and well done for planning early!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I couldn't. But it seems (even from reading threads on here) many others do so. One even saying their dog is left for 12 to 13 hours a day. When you consider you have to spend some of the remaining hours asleep - I just wonder what is the point of wanting a dog when you can spend such a tiny amount of your life/time with it?
that's really the question
I can't understand it either

I always had loved to have a dog, but just circumstances in my life didn't allow to have one

even when I had my GSD, it was just possible as I had have a partner that time, house with a quite big garden around, where the dog could go in and out how he liked, mostly
that time I worked 3-shift, so early, late and night (driving for the German Post )
my then-boyfriend worked regulary day times, so my dog was never a long time alone and we shared the time for to walk with him, or play or whatever, cuddling

gladly the relation crashed only after my beloved dog had to leave me

then I just couldn't have a dog, because of lack of time for it

but now, since already almost 5 years, I can call Balou my own
and she is never alone (except of a few hours at a night out or when I've to go into a supermarket! ), as she is always with me

not once at New Year I went out, as she is terrible afraid of fireworks and just the noise of it

but Love also means to be able for to resist, to divest oneself of something, either way
and I don't mind
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:59 PM
that's really the question
I can't understand it either

I always had loved to have a dog, but just circumstances in my life didn't allow to have one

even when I had my GSD, it was just possible as I had have a partner that time, house with a quite big garden around, where the dog could go in and out how he liked, mostly
that time I worked 3-shift, so early, late and night (driving for the German Post )
my then-boyfriend worked regulary day times, so my dog was never a long time alone and we shared the time for to walk with him, or play or whatever, cuddling

gladly the relation crashed only after my beloved dog had to leave me

then I just couldn't have a dog, because of lack of time for it

but now, since already almost 5 years, I can call Balou my own
and she is never alone (except of a few hours at a night out or when I've to go into a supermarket! ), as she is always with me

not once at New Year I went out, as she is terrible afraid of fireworks and just the noise of it

but Love also means to be able for to resist, to divest oneself of something
and I don't mind
I also went 7 years between dogs because I was working full time and didnt feel it was fair to leave a dog all day and I couldn't afford a dog walker.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Sorry...I just thought of another point. I don't know what the housing market/arrangements are like in Sweden..but will you be able to find a house to rent that would accept dogs...let alone multiple dogs. It's quite hard to do that here in the UK. If you are going to buy a house.....saving for a house and the money you will need to be able to buy the dogs will take a very long time.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

11-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Aha, ohkaayy, then much success with your project *giggle*

by the way, you sure you are seventeen?
you rather sounds like seven
Obviously 17 and mature enough not to have to resort to silly immature comments.

Originally Posted by dixondog View Post
Hi I've had muliple dogs and had 12 at one point although they were not all mine,they consisted of German sheperds,rotties,border collies and some x-breeds,its hard work and you can have multiple packs with in the main pack,the best advise I can offer is build up to it slowly,maybe foster some for short periods so you can see If you can manage and cope with more than 2/3dogs,you need to make sure none of ypur excisting dogs have behaviour probs and that they all have temperments that can benefit a pack,good luck
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Dreams are fun but maybe rather than having 9 your self (as you could find your self in a situation that you can't cope with and have to re home them) contact other Golden owners and meet up for group walks which are great fun. We've been on group vizsla walks which were great

We have 4 male dogs only one is neutered but they all get along pretty well and we have enough knowledge about dog behavior to keep them all happy.

Just get one Golden and see how you find having her and then find other Goldens and their owners to walk with!

Hope this help

Sophie
Glad to see some nice responses with reality checks in there.

Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
The OP didn't mention that she wanted 9 dogs right at this moment. She even said that if she finds she can't cope with 4 dogs, she's not going to bring in any others. She's going about it the right way by asking people who are experienced with living with so many dogs.

Who knows, her opinion might change in the future.
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
There are plenty of people out there that have many dogs are are doing just fine. You can't judge whether a person can handle it or not via an on-line forum and not knowing the person well.

While I don't know the OP personally and can't vouch for her personally, I can understand what she's trying to learn by asking questions here.
Exactly! where else can you come for advise or a chat about your dogs , your dreams of owning dogs, your possible plans to own dogs?

I used to have 7 dogs worked full time, it can be done, yes it's hard work, yes its costly and yes IMO it depends very very much on the dogs.

But at least the OP is thinking, planning and with the obvious thought that it might not happen and only will if it is right for the dogs - I wish more people did that in the dog world.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:24 PM
playing around dreams and to fulfill it might be nice
as long as it's going about things

you can buy a fancy car and afterwards, when you realize, that you cannot afford it, you still can sell it again
you wont damage anyone by that but yourself

but never play with living beings
you can cause far more damage on them, than you ever had could be thinking about
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Obviously 17 and mature enough not to have to resort to silly immature comments.
okay

maybe I'm still a kid at heart and sometimes maybe it swashes over up to my brain...

...but what brain!?!?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I grew up in a house that had a real 'pack' of dogs, three dobes, five staffords and a very old pekingese. Parents subsequently fostered too. And there were quite a few cats & other things around the place.
I am an animal lover through & through, but large numbers like that just aren't for me. Living with it and dreaming of it are very very different things. When mum and dad had those dogs it was time consuming, expensive, and caused them having us as children and a family quite difficult at time! Dad showed & occasionally bred the staffords so they participated in his hobby of showing, mum took on problem dobes via rescue and the peke was inherited!
Think four would be my maximum, not too close in age.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >