Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Am I the only one happy they did this ? it's OK when you have vet advice but they may well save a dogs life one day stopping someone buying and giving human meds to their dog.

I am not against doing it, my vet has suggested human meds several times but it does worry me how many people just buy off the shelf without any idea if it's safe.
well here you are right, I never would give my dog just anything, what is for human
but when it was even written on a paper of the vet!, does that "Tesco girl" know more than the doc?

or was that just "the might of the little man"
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
Nope - the pharmacist was simply doing her job in accordance with UK law.

From DEFRA:

Pharmacists must not otherwise supply human medicines over the counter if they are intended for animal administration, even where oral authorisation from a veterinary surgeon has been given – a written prescription is required

The girl would have lost her job, simple as that.

So it isn't Tesco or any other pharmacies fault - if you want to moan at someone then send a letter to the government.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd be more annoyed with my vet if this happened to me as they are in a better position to know which meds are and are not licensed for animal use.

There are strict laws regulating this stuff and I guess they are protecting themselves. And it could be that the lists of those that are and are not etc. are so long it is easier for them to say no to all if for animals rather than having to look it up?

Anyway I am sure the pharmacist wasn't being bloody minded. Just adhering to the law. Your vet should know all about this. If you'd had the stuff at home it wouldn't have been a problem - if they sent you to buy it - they could have told you not to say it was for the dog.

Just had a quick look and it is not an uncommon problem.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Nope - the pharmacist was simply doing her job in accordance with UK law.

From DEFRA:

Pharmacists must not otherwise supply human medicines over the counter if they are intended for animal administration, even where oral authorisation from a veterinary surgeon has been given – a written prescription is required

The girl would have lost her job, simple as that.

So it isn't Tesco or any other pharmacies fault - if you want to moan at someone then send a letter to the government.
Didn't see this before my last post. Thanks for looking it up I was sure it would be on DEFRA or Royal Pharma Soc. website. Vet didn't write a prescription. Vet should have known they'd need one.

No different to sending a 10 year old out to buy a packet of cigs and them saying 'they're for my mum'. The person who sold them could still be prosecuted - even if they had a note from their mum!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Am I the only one happy they did this ? it's OK when you have vet advice but they may well save a dogs life one day stopping someone buying and giving human meds to their dog.

I am not against doing it, my vet has suggested human meds several times but it does worry me how many people just buy off the shelf without any idea if it's safe.
I suppose human meds aren't licenced for use with animals and Tesco cannot be held responsible for selling them.
(Am I really sticking up for Tesco?? )

Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
well here you are right, I never would give my dog just anything, what is for human
but when it was even written on a paper of the vet!, does that "Tesco girl" know more than the doc?

Thats just it it was only written on a card and not an actual prescription.

Malpeki, there is a message for you in the direct threads
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
You've got me on my favourite subject now..... bl**dy Tesco.

Strange that the vet didn't have Zantac tablets As TW says try another supermarket.
I hope Lily is better soon.
The vet did have Zantac, but she said I could buy it cheaper from Tesco than I could from her . So I said I would get the tablets from tesco instead. I do have it in liquid form here at home which I got from the vet ages ago but Lily hates the taste of the liquid and wretches and gags with it, which is why I asked her abour the tablets.

I will go back to Tesco when that assistant is not working and get them, its only 3 mins up the road from me. I just thought it stupid they woudn't sell it to me for a dog that the vet had okayed to have it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I suppose human meds aren't licenced for use with animals and Tesco cannot be held responsible for selling them.
(Am I really sticking up for Tesco?? )

Thats just it it was only written on a card and not an actual prescription.
My Vet would, if I wanted, give me a prescription for Pereg's Phenobarbitone [human version - we do not have Epiphen here] which I could get filled at any pharmacy.

The only problem is that a pharmacy is only permitted to supply one pack of 30 x 100mg tablets each month, and 30 tablets only lasts Pereg for 20 days as she has 50mg TID.

So I pay the extra and buy from my Vet, who will order as many packs as I need. Last time he got a dozen packs for me - that is 360 strong barbiturates.

Different laws for different countries though. If you want to buy paracetamol OTC in the UK, how many can you buy at one time? I could be wrong but I think it is only one pack of 16 tabs. Here I can buy a bottle of 50.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks to those of you pointing out its law they don't sell human drugs for animals.
I agree and am the first to say don't give human drugs to dogs on here unless the vet tells you too.
I didn't realise they actually wouldn't sell them to you, and yes now I see perhaps its a good thing, although I don't think many people are as stupid as me and if planning to give human drugs to their pet without the vets advice that I had, probably wouldn't tell them anyway.

Well thnks to some of you I have learn't something new today.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I took Lily to see the vet this morning as she was in pain with her tummy problems and was feeling sick and being a weekend and knowing how Lily goes I thought it best to get her checked, especially as she even refused a little chicken. I had already given her pro- kolin, Antepsin and Zantac liquid first thing this morning.
By the time we got there Lily was looking a little happier. The vet examined her and said she was tense in her tummy and still feeling sick, however she could not give her a shot of serenia to stop the sickness as Lily reacts badly to it and she was dubious about trying another one as we don't know how Lily would react to that, so I said i would rather not.
While there I got her to check Lilys eyes as she has been rubbing at them for some time, they were fine and I got her anal glands emptied.
She gave me 30 more tramadol as she said Lily can have those for her tummy pain and to keep up with the pro kolin, the Antepsin and if Lily didn't like the Zantac liquid to go to Tesco and get it in tablet form. She wrote strength and dosage on one of her cards for me.
For all this my bill come to £17 so I was very very pleased with that.

I then went to Tesco to get the Zantac and the assistant said they had a Tesco version , which the vet said she could have, for £1.25. So i said i would have 2 packs of them. As the assistant was ringing it up on the till, she noticed my vet card with it all written on and asked if it was for an animal. I told her my vet had told me to come and buy it for my dog and the stupid assistant then refused to sell it to me . So I said well i will say its for me then but she told me I was too late , so i said i would come back and get it later for myself and she said don't bother coming back while I am here today as I won't sell it to you.
To say I am peed off is an understatement. What difference does it make to them, its not a dangerous drug, and the vet had written down to get it. She was such a jobsworth
She wouldn't sell you it because if she sells you it knowing it is for your dog and then your dog has a reaction to it, then you could take legal action against her and tesco. She isn't being a jobsworth, she is doing it to protect her own back. And to be honest, as annoying as it is, I don't blame her. I work in retail and there are people who would do this, she doesn't know you.

Unfortunately retail has these silly rules, like not being able to sell more than 2 packets of paracetamol at a time. There's nothing stopping you going somewhere else to buy it but they will still get in trouble if they sell more than 2 packets at a time.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Here in Cyprus, as long as you know the NAME of the drug you can buy anything over the counter! They were I think supposed to have tightened up but as with all other 'EU regs' they mostly ignore them.

You can buy 600mg strength brufen and tramadol and all antibios. and not limited to the number you can buy at one time. And if you can't remember what they are called as long as you give your doc's phone number they will call them and ask.

I save the top of all boxes so I never forget what they are called.

Meds are, however, quite pricey. The ones that protect your tum from NSAIDs are about 17.50 a packet. If I am in the UK, as a pensioner, I get them free.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >