Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker;2001171[B
you could meditate over the event?[/B]
It's been quite therapeutic to write about it.

In the grand scheme of dog incidents, it wasn't much. But as I've previously mentioned, we've had a few on-lead incidents in the past - nothing since around June of last year so it was a one slip up on my behalf.

Having said that, prior to June last year there were some incidents, two of which apperntly led to other dogs needing vet treatment. If the owners had spoken to me I'd have offered to pay half as Locky was on lead and I told them to recall their dogs. As it is, they got together and went to the police resulting in a visit from the police and the dog warden - and that was the end of any goodwill on my behalf. That's why I'm so dissapointed in what happened, more with myself really.

I
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
So Locky is a GSD x Husky or mal who's going on 12, and you've worked with him for 18 months? Sounds as though you have made wonderful progress with this guy. I'd continue with what you are doing with the training and long line etc. I'm sure he has a great quality of life with you. Don't be disheartened by the Westie incident, as you say not too long ago he would have pinned it. Think of what you have achieved and you will be surprised.
Thank you for your kind comments and words of encouragement.

Michael
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
...Fair enough if you think my suggestions to people to buy a book and try some of the games in it are wrong
I am always rethinking what is acceptable to say on a public forum
Yes - it's about "doing no harm". Most of the advice most of us give is general, often suggesting a good trainer or behaviourist too, and that's good advice to my mind.

Always, we should do no harm. That's so important IMHO.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
It's been quite therapeutic to write about it.

In the grand scheme of dog incidents, it wasn't much. But as I've previously mentioned, we've had a few on-lead incidents in the past - nothing since around June of last year so it was a one slip up on my behalf.

Having said that, prior to June last year there were some incidents, two of which apperntly led to other dogs needing vet treatment. If the owners had spoken to me I'd have offered to pay half as Locky was on lead and I told them to recall their dogs. As it is, they got together and went to the police resulting in a visit from the police and the dog warden - and that was the end of any goodwill on my behalf. That's why I'm so dissapointed in what happened, more with myself really.

I
I feel for you, and especially as Locky was on lead and no doubt approached by the other dogs. Usually on lead = under control, but not always in a legal sense, which seems illogical really.

Would you consider a muzzle - might it make you feel more relaxed? Not to use other dogs as stooges, but just to help in case of a similar on lead situation

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Michael
I can see why you are stressed then
I had similar, Mia onlead was attacked from behind by an onlead dog and Mia required vet attention
Yet the police and dog warden were called on ME!! Because she can bark at other dogs people think everything is her fault

and I can understand how it can be 100 times worse if you have a big dog, people are so judgemental
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I've just remembered we've chatted re. dog social groups, I knew I knew the name!
Indeed we did.

I wonder re the bushes/long grass, have you tried doing lots of training around them? if you get a chance to do so. Sometimes, if you train enough, you can get an almost reflex action (i get this with chase recall and my BSd). The dog hardly, or perhaps doesn't, actually think - just reacts to your call. For this though I use a predictive reward - you have to give good rewards and high value (for the dog).
I can't say I have tried around long grass/bushes - short grass in a field is difficult. If there's something to sniff at his head goes down. He's very similar to a local Malamute - he'll come, when he's ready and after he's "just sniffed this" and had a pee. He's quite amusing, but bloody hard work !

Rewards: How do you get a dog to stand from the sit? I suspect you'll use a treat held in front of his nose as a lure and then move it forward effectively "pulling" the dog into a stand.

Locky will stretch his neck 2 or 3 times and then loose interest. The trainers usually laugh at this and say you'll have to keep trying. Treats (biscuit/Mattesons sausage/ woodsmoked M&S chicken breast etc etc !!!), or toys, doesn't seem to work (I'm not actually too concerned about whether or not he can do this, I'm just giving an example of how difficult it can be to motivate him to do things).

Not sure if it may help. It may well be safer/better to keep him on the long line that you can grab, in the preferred areas - he clearly has a good life, dog friends, accepting owners of other dogs, etc
I do normally. It just happened to be earlier than usual and I didn't see the other owner - my mistake.

Do you feel you may be asking for too much?
Not saying you are, only wondering what I'd do in your shoes.
I often ask myself that. The other two are so good, I wonder what I could have done with him if I'd had him from a pup. I'll keep trying though, he's got his friends and Bear keeps him young at heart
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I totally understand the motivation problems. I guess it could be due to malamute blood or to being not trained for the years before you had him, more likely the malamute blood though, agree with you

They aren't easy dogs to train - the trainers should help you more though Repetition isn't always the key, you need more help to work out what he needs ... Dr Ian Dunbar is in this months' Dogs Today talkingabout his Malamute (I think he had 2) and I've not read it all yet but you may enjoy it

The key may be to use more "life rewards" - if I recall, (not read it all yet) Dunbar found his dog loved to be chased by him and that got him responding well

As a trainer I'd not say "keep trying" I'd be helping more with Good Ideas or researching to find more help.
You may find, if you've not read it, the brilliant book "When pigs fly:training success with impossible dogs" by Jane Killion a good read, it's a book every trainer should know about, anyway

Wys
x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
What I read was Michael stating that they had had one episode that made them feel dishearted with the great progress made previously with an older dog with an unknown history, who suffers from many medical conditions one of which needs painkillers. Yet you feel that using an ecollar would be a good idea. No assessment, straight in with buy an ecollar and I will pm you with advice.

You are a scary man and one who is believing their own PR. It takes no skill in doing what you do and I wouldn't allow you in the same field as my boy never mind strap a collar round his neck or genitals (whatever is floating your boat mate) and shock him into submission.

I truly hope that Claire is right and you are a troll, that you are infact a 15 year old deliquent who posts here inbetween playing with his XBox and eating Watsits!!!!!!!!!!!
He isnt a troll, he posts on another dog forum as well.
The troll line is a bit lame anyway, and only one that people resort to when they cannot handle seeing/reading an opinion that is outside of their comfort zone/world view.
Which is what political correctness is all about - its not good enough to deem an standpoint unacceptable, you have to prevent it being expressed too...........a bit fascist really.

Therefore, of course AP should post on here, as then we can tell him that getting someone to buy an electric collar and then advisinng them online how to use it on their dog without having met them or the dog is clearly stupid.

For instance, electric collars can have up to thirty settings.
But Lou Castle always says you rarely need to go past the first few low stim settings, so i asked him what's the point in have thirty odd then???
He replied because some dogs have a higher tolerance and cannot feel any stim unless its higher, due to high arousal states due to the adrenaline of the situation etc.

So, with that in mind, are we to asume that AP is telling someone to buy an ecollar and go all ahead using it by themselves, with only the back up of some bloke online whom may not be on hand when he needs to be, therefore knowing he will run the risk that this person may not know how to judge the circumstantial arousal level of their dog, and therefore the level of the electric shock setting?

And are we also to assume that AP himself can judge the arousal level of a dog in situation he cannot see, and therefore realiably inform said person what electric shock level to use?

And because 'what if the dog gets into a fight and gets PTS', which is an odd statement when you consider the person has said her dog is fine with dogs, has been for 1 year, has provided photos, yet has merely told us all her dog has done has 'snapped' at a westie that took him by surprise.
And has also admitted the issue isnt to do with her dog, but to do with her on feelings?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
<<<can judge the arousal level of a dog in situation he cannot see, and therefore realiably inform said person what electric shock level to use?>>

LOL, from other things he has written I would question if he could judge the arousal level of a dog he could see!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Lionhound
other.

Re my offer to MichealM
My offer was for her to pm, we could then discuss the dog and procede from there. How is this different than someone telling a person how to train the look at that game in thier dog reactive dog? Except of course the method is one most on here dislike.

Adam
Thankfully I was not the only one to pick up the sheer disbelief of Adams statement to Michael

If you cant see the difference between your suggestion and the general advice given on here by experienced trainers , then there is no hope for you.

You told someone who has a dog you know nothing about, that the owner felt they had a small setback , and your first response is "get an e.collar" and pm me , and I will give you a crash course on how to use it.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
<<<can judge the arousal level of a dog in situation he cannot see, and therefore realiably inform said person what electric shock level to use?>>

LOL, from other things he has written I would question if he could judge the arousal level of a dog he could see!

rune
Completely agree, AP is a danger , he is so pumped up with his own self importance, he cant see the wood for the trees,

BTW Adam, you forgot to answer my question............do you ever strap a e.collar to a dogs testicles????? an answer would be nice!!
Page 48 of 77 « First < 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 58 > Last »