View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I definitely agree with Jackie, in that I would ignore her reaction and just carry on as normal. I think if you try to hard with her, she will start to worry more - she sounds a very sensitive girlie, like my Flame Flame is very sensitive and definitely picks up my mood, and if I get over-fussy with her, she worries about it. Yogi is the complete opposite!

If you don't think you can clip her nails and don't want the vet to do it, I am sure most dog groomers clip nails too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, thanks for all the fantastic help and advice! I am going to watch that video, so thanks for that one Pam Thanks also Reisu, but I can do anything like that and I do, I can clean her ears, put cream on a rash on her belly, etc. etc. BUT this was the very first time with a pipette and I honestly thought nothing about it! I think if I had just gone in on my OWN without asking for the aid of Dave (who gives off bad vibes with anything like this )it would have been pretty much plain sailing, coz I would have just gone in and done it, but I'd already warned him that I would be calling out for him when I was ready - big mistake on my part I think!

From what you say Jen and Tassle, maybe these pipettes are a bit "iffy" for them, although I've never had a problem with them before?

I am not going to psyche myself up into thinking she's going to be awkward with those nails either (had that before with Cassie, 3 vet nurses and ME, just to cut her nails!!!! THEN, one day, a vet just cornered her, she sat there like a dream and he cut ALL of them???!!! No fuss whatsoever???!! Then we laughed! ) I had her booked in for yesterday with the nurse to get them cut, but thinking about it, I decided I didn't want her upset at the vets, I'd rather she do that here at home with me and I can get round it, somehow.

I will now be spending lots and lots of time, on the floor with Zena, playing with her claws, rubbing her belly, playing with her tail, massaging her, and parting that fur on her shoulders with nothing in my hands!!! Dogs hey?! How long does this puppy bit last, I've forgotten!!!!!

Thanks guys, all a great help and I'm going to watch that video now!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh poor you, and yes you and your cunning plans
I think your more upset than Zena is by the sounds of it. Forget about it and just carry on as normal, as others have said hun.

I used to have problems with Jake, my Boxer, and what I would do was sit on the floor and do as others have said, just stroke him and play with the fur around his neck. do that for a few times, then I would put a straw in my mouth and sit and do the same, leaving the straw in my gob Then I would take it and stroke his fur with it, parting the fur with the straw.

then when, de-fleeing time came around again I would pup the pippette in my mouth, (unopened I might add) and then while stroking him snap the end off and stroke him with it. Him not knowing that he was getting de-fleed with it sneaky...but it worked

Don't worry hun, Zena will forget.
elaine xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks elaine, and I've come to the conclusion that it's the wormer itself, it's not me as such, just like we had with the horses, but I knew how to cope with that and did it everytime, except for once, when it was an extra firm worm syringe and the blooming vet was there watching me do it, and half of it ended up in my top pocket of my shirt as the horse spat it back out at me The vet and I were in hysterics, and he said, for God's sake H, get that stuff out of your pocket, I can't do it I'll get arrested!!!!! Sooooo funny! I wish this pipette business was!

Anyways, she was just outside in the garden, yelped, I looked out the window, she was sitting next to the shed and started shaking her head, something had got into her left ear! GREAT! In the mood she's in with ME!!! Anyways, got a handful of treats, called her in, she was in manic, panic, hyper mode by this time coz she thought I wanted to play Calmed her down, sat her in front of me on the kitchen floor, and she let me look in her ear - trouble is, I was looking in the WRONG ear!!! Got more treats, got her down on the floor, she rolled on her side for me, so I took a good look in her left ear and there's nothing there?! She then got up onto Dave's chair in the lounge (never done that before), so he couldn't sit in it, so he squeazed himself in front of her, gave her a quiet fuss and managed to take another look in there, and she was absolutely fine with this, but then, he's her daddy isn't he! Earlier on, he'd managed to snip off a bit of matting in her fine hair in her groin and he said he got the round nosed scissors onto it whilst he was belly rubbing her and she didn't bat an eyelid! Whatever works, we'll use it!!! xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It is possible to train zoo animals to accept some uncomfortable procedures voluntarily and the same can be done with dogs esp. if you start as pups - it usually works but obviously each individual is different.

(For part of an assignment re zoo animals I found out about how they trained a diabetic mandrill to accept all sorts voluntarily - not just the injection but also a lot of taking of blood which can be more painful - it was so interesting ).

Firstly have a look at this video, don't worry about the stuff at the beginning so much (although it's interesting) but just check out the actual video, it's of nail clipping in a dog that was very unhappy about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

Hopefully it will give you an idea of how to approach the problem - using rewards the dog really likes and wants, plus letting the dog choose etc etc..

If she is very scared of pipettes and things, you can start by just getting them out and pairing that action with ultra tasty food. Dogs learn very much by association and in the wild, this would help them remember poisonous food, dangerous areas, etc. In the domestic scene they learn the same way, so we an also use the same way - association with good things they love - to get what we want ie relaxed behaviour ...but one word of warning, take it slooowly...

(and if you do her nails later on, don't whatever you do cut the quick as that is really painful and may put her off, I think you are right to use a file!)

Hth a bit

Wys
x
Fantastic video there!!! Everyone should watch that and take a leaf out of her book there!! I'm on the case, nice and slowly does it then!!! Thankyou soooooo much
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2