Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Where Do I Sign?

NOT!

It never ceases to amaze me how two faced the RSPCA are....when you need their help with an animal, their telephone people tell you in no uncertain terms to either phone the Police or Dog warden....when you find an injured animal or someones stray pet the RSPCA are not interested and tell you that they have no room and to take it to your local Vet or animal sanctuary....so it's no surprise really that they now want us to all sign up for their "Home For Life" service...see below

Are they sure they'll be able to find room for all these pets

I'D RATHER HAVE HUBBY CASTRATED THEN SIGN MY ANIMALS AWAY TO THAT TWO FACED CHARITY!
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
i've experienced this a few years ago, all they want to do is ask for charity money,
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
None-the-less its still a good message to all of us to have things in place for our dogs, as well as family if the worst happens.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2007, 02:40 PM
My friend gives to them via direct debit each month...( which she's stopping after hearing what they are like)....anyway, she was paying £4 a month...to be honest she really can't afford to give that much....they had the cheek to phone her up about something unrelated and ask her casually if she would mind upping it to £8 per month...Wood Green animal shelter do a similar scheme...I would trust them alot more...

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/how-to-help-pet-alert.asp
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
I do wonder about this scheme that the RSPCA are running....
They promise to take your pet after you die and try find it a loving home. But what if they can't find it one; is your beloved pet to be put down like the rest of the animals they take in when their time runs out?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
My friend gives to them via direct debit each month...( which she's stopping after hearing what they are like)....anyway, she was paying £4 a month...to be honest she really can't afford to give that much....they had the cheek to phone her up about something unrelated and ask her casually if she would mind upping it to £8 per month...Wood Green animal shelter do a similar scheme...I would trust them alot more...

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/how-to-help-pet-alert.asp
I use to do this they came knocking at doors one year.then I got a phone call asking for more and I explained that was all we could afford.They wanted to put ours up from £4 to £12 a month then kept coming down then asked how much extra I could pay.It was then I cancelled the direct debit.
We had the Dogs Trust knock last week.
Wood Green is a brilliant place.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I realise there is no such think as a free lunch, but I find this ploy abhorrent. Their target market appears to be the elderly/vulnerable, who no doubt would not only sign over their pet, but felt honour bound to sign over any money they might have (although they wont come out and say that of course!)

The 'we will do our best to find snuggles a new home', sends shivers up my spine, and frankly makes me want to hurl....cos we all know their 'best' often falls short of the mark. Unless they can offload the dog and make some money from it, I doubt the much effort will be made at all (the cynic in me would even venture to suggest that even less effort would be made had a decent sum of money been bequeathed along with the animal)

Dont get me wrong, I am not at all against anyone recouping expenses and even adding to charity coffers by helping an animal in need, after all how else would most survive? What really REALLY bugs me, is the downright dishonesty of it, and playing on peoples emotions.

Great that they have reminded folk to make provision for their animals in the event of their own demise, but explore all options first. Sadly i doubt the kind of people who may be taken in by the advert, wont be reading dogsey
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Well said Thandi!!

I have recently agreed with Deccy's breeders that they will collect him if anything happens to me, this will be written into my will when I have it updated in the next few weeks. I will leave them a lump sum too as they are not exactly rich, and I have no-one to leave my worldly goods to except charity but the RCSPA - and ISPCA - will not be on my list of beneficiaries!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I think things would be a lot worse for lots of Animals if there was no R.S.P.C.A they do what they can.

Although I agree they could improve.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Amie,

Where would all those animals be if the RSPCA didn't exist? I agree they need to improve a lot - but I think sometimes people forget what goes on behind the scenes and how hard some of them do work and how many dogs they do sucessfully rehome.

I don't like the dishonesty of it either, but it's not just the RSPCA, my mum used to donate to the NSPCC (don't know if she still does) who have visited and phoned asking for more, they used to come and collect the money quaterly, then once he turned up two months running claiming we hadn't paid last month.

My dad sponsored a charity and had his name on their calendar in return - suddenly he had calls from different charities claiming he was sponsoring them to have his name on their calendar - their plan worked, he thought it was the one he was already sponsoring and his 'yeah what about it?' was taken as consent and they locked him into a contract that they attempted to force him to pay.

What I'm trying to say is - it's not just the RSPCA, charities can't afford to be honest, not saying it's right - but it's real life
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >