Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 02:56 AM

Both dogs being sick after eating rawhide bones - advice please

I bought both my dogs rawhide bones today, they have had them before but not as big as these ones. They both sat for about an hour happily eating them then about 5 hours later they both started being sick at exactly the same time all thats coming up is water and lumps of rawhide. Its been going on for an hour now any suggestions anyone?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I hate those rawhide things

Hopefully they will vomit up all the lumps. Keep an eye on them for any signs of blockage, i.e. see if they keep their normal food down and that they are passing stools ok. If they regurgitate their food or have trouble pooing then you need to consult a vet. I would also see the vet if there is prolonged unproductive retching/gagging. Make sure they are drinking water - but only a little at a time. They may have sore tummies so a couple of bland meals tomorrow would not go amiss.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Agree with SB Kate. How are they this morning? A little better I hope.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2006, 08:57 AM
It's the not chewing properly that does that. Jake has a bit of a habit of not chewing properly, then vomiting all over the place some time later. We've come to the conclusion that big rawhide things are best avoided, for him...
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2006, 09:11 AM
hope your dogs are ok. I don't feed rawhide to my dogs anymore after one vomited a huge lump of it back & the other had horrible poo's for two days.
sez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2006, 09:11 AM
i agree,avoid them,hector will chew them soggy and swallow it whole,bring it back and do it again and again,same with pigs ears,i dont buy them anymore,get a nice raw marrow bone,dont buy the roast ones from pet shops,made my neo (R.I.P.) verY ill
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 09:29 AM
I hope your dogs are ok today.......x
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist
I bought both my dogs rawhide bones today, they have had them before but not as big as these ones. They both sat for about an hour happily eating them then about 5 hours later they both started being sick at exactly the same time all thats coming up is water and lumps of rawhide. Its been going on for an hour now any suggestions anyone?
Hey

Were they just the plain kind? What was different about them? (if you can tell what was different about them it might help you work out what the problem was?) some come with artificial flavouring / colour etc etc. I only ever give my dogs the plain kind.

Did they eat them close to any exercise? Or close to a meal?

I'm lucky, both my dogs are thorough chewers and Keena is quick as well as thorough and breaks them down quite well before they can get in the slimy state. Takoda had problems at first with them mostly with the very last bit that he would try to swallow to big and choke and I always keep a very close eye on him when he is towards the end.

I find the compact rawhide is better for them then the other kind as it is firstly more of a challenge for big teeth and it does seem to not turn all gooey.

How are the dogs now?
Leslie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I heard that you should NOT give dogs rawhide. Their systems cannot
digest it properly, and it just sits in their stomachs in a big lump.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 04:08 PM
all my dogs have raw hide,and dont have a problem with them,but they do chew them properly.the pressed raw hide is good for the teeth
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >