View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:50 PM

Oscar aka Road Kill Dog! (Wire Vizsla) *Warning Contains A Picture Of A Dead Animal*

Here's a little pic of Oscar recently doing some retrieves with a Pigeon we found at the side of the road:

Said Pigeon is now in the freezer and I have no idea how to de fuzz it and chop it up!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:09 PM
The hardest part is plucking all the feathers. I used to be given ducks and pheasants by a friend of my father's who shoots...

My advice is cut head off first then black plastic bag all round the bird and tie the legs to something so you have both hands free to pluck.. the feathers get everywhere... I was never shown how either, just muddled through.

Getting the guts and innards out isn't too bad after that cos the bird looks more like one from the butcher and its easier to see how it all works... good luck... Trust me the first one you do will look rubbish and the dog will probably get the results after all that hard work.

But you'll get better at it if you do it again... Then they gave me bunnies! Bunnies is a whole new thing!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:13 PM
handsome lad

feathers off? lol Tupac gubbed two birds in three days there and then ,so far this week
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Awww clever boy!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Pigeons are not worth the hassle IMV much more of a pain than pheasant etc.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Kerrie looooves pigeon. Loads on the roadside atm (along with baby buns, Pheasants etc)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Would probably have been lunch there and then for Rupert. Can't help with the plucking etc, he does it himself.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 08:04 AM
My OH ran over an already dead rabbit - I think he did it so I couldn't get out and pick it up now it's just a squished mess on the road..

There's LOADS of pigeons around - Louie plucked his own the other week - too bad I couldn't finish it off for him and whilst plucking up the courage to do so - some animal robbed it! I still have feathers all over the garden! Do you get funny looks when you practice retrieves with a dead animal?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I also have a pigeon in my freezer.

Harry found it when out on a walk and decided he would like to bring it home with him, I had to try and avoid the groups of children who then decided to keep walking past me.

Usually my lot eat them there and then and pluck them themselves.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Bluddey hell woman. I thought the dog had been run over. Don't do that to me. They are one of my wish list dogs.

I would'nt bother plucking it much. Just whack the head off and he should just eat it.

Otherwise, skin it. Much easier.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >