Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Swans

I took Kyiro and Lily over to Manningtree this afternoon. We parked at the church and walked down to and along the river. As we walked along Lily had me laughing as she spotted the swans. She was convinced they were big feathered Wabbits and her eyes were out on stalks. They were within a foot of us up on the grass, as we walked past and some come walking towards us. Lily was so excited you could see she was having images of roast swan for dinner .
What a good girl she was though because I told her to leave them and although she was practically drooling at the thought of getting one she did trot by them with bulging eyes and licking lips.
Kyiro had seen them before and he decided the best thing was to get the other side of mummy so she could protect him as he was convinced they were monster Kyiro eating wabbits
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Haha. Phoebe just makes them all get back in the water as if shes decided they can have the water shes having the grass. Soon as they get out she shoos them back in. Once they in the water she totally ignors them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
My lot are used to swans and give them a wide berth....
except for the time a swan went a bit silly and missed the pond completely and landed in a flower bed slap in front of Daisy. He swooshed in over her head and failed about in the pansies smack in front of her. I had to do a rugby tackle to stop her taking what the good lord had provided.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I had to do a rugby tackle to stop her taking what the good lord had provided.

Teg ignores them, Hocus wants to say hello
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-03-2012, 08:58 PM
were i walk the dogs there is a very bad tempered pair of swans,
cheech insists on going to say hello , mummy swan just hisses but the cob comes up the bank and turns on me as cheech is to fast.
but he will have to wait till next winter now because mummy swan is sat on 7 eggs
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I think Kyiro is very sensible!

Parker (nice but dim) always wants to make friends with the swans.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Jake has seen them a few times on land, but he has always been on lead. When he sees them off lead, they are always in the water and he just barks at them, but comes away easily when I call... I think he would be scared if one of them hissed at him though He doesn't like geese hissing at him
Mala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Lola has had one encounter with a swan and, true to nature, she just wanted to play

(no, she shouldn't have been off-lead and she shouldn't have gone swimming in the Serpentine )

emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Teds only seen them on the water when he's off lead and he runs and barks at them i think one has hissed at him before and he did back off. I try to put him on lead if i see them before he does though unless they are well away from the bank.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 09:55 AM
The TM is very polite and just metaphorically tips his hat at them "Good morning ladies and gents. Just passing..." He's not really a chaser of things.

The barcoat hasn't met a swan yet, but as she's an avid chaser of all things furred and feathered I know exactly what she's going to be like. One of the neighbours has geese and she quivers in rabid excitement at the thought of a tasty goose supper. She practically tries to push herself through the chainlink fence to get to them. If she ever sees a swan up close she's going to think all her birthdays and christmasses have come at once.