Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
What, get a job or get help?
sorry get help?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
But I thought everyone was entitled to get help from the govt if they were out of work, ESPECIALLY, even more so somebody like him????!!!!

The worrying thing is, we could be heading that way again, businesses closing, high unemployment, oh the writing's on the wall alright!
You would think so wouldnt you. But all he recived was a letter saying they wouldnt not be able to help with his claim. No explenation.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
sorry get help?
No idea, just a letter saying he would not be reciving any help.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:12 PM
that can't have been right Phil ....surely
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
But I thought everyone was entitled to get help from the govt if they were out of work, ESPECIALLY, even more so somebody like him????!!!!

The worrying thing is, we could be heading that way again, businesses closing, high unemployment, oh the writing's on the wall alright!
well i think we most certainly are heading for something very worrying and like i say the blame can only be laid on the doorstep of this government
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
that can't have been right Phil ....surely
It wasnt right, in my opinion its totally discusting that someone who served and injured for his country was treated in such a shody mannar. He sent a letter off appealing the decison but it made no difference.

ETA, While I balme thatchers goverment, it still annoys me to see ex servicemen treated in such a crap way 25yrs later under a different goverment.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:18 PM
No idea, just a letter saying he would not be reciving any help.
well he would normally have been means tested back then as is still the case now ( no seriously they do - espeically if youre a tax paying brit - that want to know what you are hiding ) - maybe he had savings or rejected a demeaning job they offered him

my mum has been through the same thing recently she is 60 in December and was made redundant - but because she had 5k redundacny she was disqualified for anything and had to pay her own stamp - her and my dad have paid hundreds of thousands of pounds in tax over the years and it meant nothing. The man next door couldnt speak english but was given a cheque for shoes and clothes which was nice....

she wasnt even allowed job seekers allowance because she rejected the offer of stacking shelves in B&Q

i told my mum id rather pay her a wage to tell them to poke it up their ar3es
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:18 PM

ETA, While I balme thatchers goverment, it still annoys me to see ex servicemen treated in such a crap way 25yrs later under a different goverment.
thats a whole new debate i reckon
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Can someone answer this,

How can a man who starts work at 15 until 19, then serve his country in the 2nd world war, on leaving the army after the war work solid(never out of work) until 1983 then loses his job as a number of business local and a distance away close, try as he might he can not gain employment and is unable to get any help from the govement and has to struggle to surrive until he retires two years later.

Think by your figures he was born in 1920 and was forced to retire in 1983 two years before he got his state pension.

even then he would have recived a state hand out till he retired.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
well he would normally have been means tested back then as is still the case now ( no seriously they do - espeically if youre a tax paying brit - that want to know what you are hiding ) - maybe he had savings or rejected a demeaning job they offered him

my mum has been through the same thing recently she is 60 in December and was made redundant - but because she had 5k redundacny she was disqualified for anything and had to pay her own stamp - her and my dad have paid hundreds of thousands of pounds in tax over the years and it meant nothing. The man next door couldnt speak english but was given a cheque for shoes and clothes which was nice....

she wasnt even allowed job seekers allowance because she rejected the offer of stacking shelves in B&Q

i told my mum id rather pay her a wage to tell them to poke it up their ar3es
Trust me when I say he had no savings and would not have turned down any work, I think someone who had worked all number of different jobs would be choosey.

I do wonder if it was more common place then as if you are rufesed any help, you appeal, if that fails thats it.
Now if it fails there is a million and one ways to make your voice heard, many ways were not avalible back then.
Page 11 of 33 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »