View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I LOVE the UK - I am not keen on the current Government and the whole nanny state but I especially love ...

the scenery and beautiful countryside - especially the Scottish Highlands and the Lake District.

I like the climate - not too hot, not too cold

Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
From what Mini and wolfie have said in the prevous thread....

What do you feel are the positive sides to life in the UK?

Alex
xx

We have so many things that we take for granted but not every country can boast for instance democracy, meritocracy, equality, freedom to practice our religion, freedom to practice our own sexuality, liberal freedoms of speech within the limits of racism, bigotry, etc.
Our society recognises the need to support the less fortunate both here and abroad. We gives large sums per capita to overseas charities every year and support international political efforts to aid countries less fortunate that ourselves. We offer sanctuary and opportunities to people from around the world who are less fortunate than ourselves.
We have law and order and a justice system that has been emulated as an ideal by many other countries around the world. Our justice system is not only fair it is compassionate. We have health and safety regulations that ensure the food we eat, our homes and workplaces are safe. We have high quality health care that is available to all regardless of wealth. We have a high standard of eduction available to all regardless of wealth. We have a diverse economy and industries. We have history, we have culture, we have a wonderfull countryside that changes constantly with the seasons and we are allowed to keep dogs as pets! :smt001
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
We have so many things that we take for granted but not every country can boast for instance democracy, meritocracy, equality, freedom to practice our religion, freedom to practice our own sexuality, liberal freedoms of speech within the limits of racism, bigotry, etc.
Our society recognises the need to support the less fortunate both here and abroad. We gives large sums per capita to overseas charities every year and support international political efforts to aid countries less fortunate that ourselves. We offer sanctuary and opportunities to people from around the world who are less fortunate than ourselves.
We have law and order and a justice system that has been emulated as an ideal by many other countries around the world. Our justice system is not only fair it is compassionate. We have health and safety regulations that ensure the food we eat, our homes and workplaces are safe. We have high quality health care that is available to all regardless of wealth. We have a high standard of eduction available to all regardless of wealth. We have a diverse economy and industries. We have history, we have culture, we have a wonderfull countryside that changes constantly with the seasons and we are allowed to keep dogs as pets! :smt001
Bloody well said :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 (maybe not about the justice system though )
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 05:15 PM
The scenery, brilliant... the people, so many different people from such diverse places and backgrounds.... The weather... much as we moan about it, at least it's pretty steady... we get 4 seasons (sometimes all in the same day... but at least we don't get the droughts and hurricanes and other extremes that some hotter countries get. Our armed forces... for now anyway but we're doing our best to cock that up (but thats for another rant )
Plenty good about this country I guess

Oh and as Stormy just told me in a PM... Hadrians wall would have been good if they'd built it higher
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 05:19 PM
:d..............
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Oh and as Stormy just told me in a PM... Hadrians wall would have been good if they'd built it higher
Oh No! Thank Goodness for cross border unions, the one in my house has been sweet for 25 years :smt001
Azz
Administrator
Male 

I have to agree with Hewey (yet again )

I also like the fact we are a secular state - meaning religion does not dictate our laws.

I like the hustle and bustle of our cities, and the beauty of the countryside. I like living a 5 minute walk to the mountain, that goes on for hours and hours (I've just been up there for two hours with Rocky ) and also being a 20 minute drive to a big city.

I like that fact that people here are generally friendly, especially the younger generation and especially in the South Wales Valleys! Almost everyone we walk past says hello!

While a large percentage of the population (not just in the UK but everywhere) are just 'zombies' (in the respect they just take on the views of tabloids/media without thinking things through for themselves) there are a large number of people who are much wiser and aware of the propaganda machine we see everyday - esp when it comes to 'hate' or keeping people imprisioned. So I like the fact we have lots of people who are progressive.

I do get fed up of the weather tho, and it's the biggest factor that makes me want to move - oh and the fact we get ripped off here, everythings (electronic wise) so much more expensive!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

A moat on each side with live wires along the top just to be sure.

Thats an other good thing, most people can have a laugh and a joke.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
A moat on each side with live wires along the top just to be sure.

Thats an other good thing, most people can have a laugh and a joke.
No they can't.... I'm deeply offended
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 05:29 PM
No they can't.... I'm deeply offended
Well I was offended by seeing at bloke in a skirt but dont hear me moaning.

If you think about it the UK is an average place. The weather is no where near as hot as some places yet its warmer than loads. We dont have hugh winds and Storms like some places. Things suchs as earthquakes while we get them we should be thankful they're not as bad as some places. Even our sports men and women while they dont dominate they always seem to put up a fight (yesterday aside). While there is a lot to grumble about I would not move, and after all grumbling is what makes us us, no one can match us
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >