Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Now what you said there is what I think is part of the problem - or the 'benefits culture'. To even be thinking of 'getting back onto benefits' when there is a job on offer.

Would be better if it were thinking that hopefully the job will last and if it doesn't your chances of getting another one are higher if you are already working than if you've been unemployed for a long time.

I am happy to think the money I pay into the UK pot goes to health care, education, pensions, child benefit, free bus travel, and even infrastructure. But not happy to think about it going to people who are on benefits and could work but won't just in case they can't quickly 'get back onto benefits'. Or don't see the wage as being attractive enough to give up the benefits - or as being discussed here are better off on benefits and earning a 'bit on the side' than they would be working for all their money.

A system where being on benefits seems more attractive than being in paid work is fundamentally wrong IMHO.

Something will have to give eventually. You cannot have a diminishing number of people supporting a growing number of dependents.
Well I was offered one off jobs that only lasted a day or a week, they would never have been permanent which is what a lot of people are offered. If I could have taken a job for a week and gone back onto benefit I would have happily done so. But the only way to do it and continue to pay my rent was tell the benefit office and they would give me £10 of the money and take the other I had earned off my husbands benefit.

And if I had taken a job that didn't work out as permanent it took something like 12 weeks to get back onto the system properly and the rent had to be paid. I think if memory serves me right they only paid from the Saturday following a claim anyway so if you came out of work on a Monday you got nothing towards your rent until the Saturday and that wouldn't be paid for 12 weeks anyway as they need 12 weeks to sort out the claim !

Imagine a landlord waiting for that !
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3