Our sister sites
Our sister sites
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Its that time again!

Kaya has started her second (and last) season,
I've been dreading this for so long, blood everywhere, no off lead walks.
With her first season bleeding lasted a little over 4 weeks, I hope it doesn't last as long this time.
Is there an increased chance of dogs having a phantom pregnancy second time around?

...Just got to get through this one and then it'll all be over forever thank god! Next time I get a bitch it will be a neutered rescue.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi poor you and poor Kaya

I didn't have my last dog spayed until she was about 4 and remember what a pain it was, although she was only a little dog. I remember putting towels on settees, rugs etc etc.

I assume you refer to this one being her last as you are going to have her spayed?

I have no idea about phantom pregnancies being more common but my little girl had two.

All the best and hopefully someone will come along shortly with more experience of phantom pregnancies.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Hi poor you and poor Kaya

I didn't have my last dog spayed until she was about 4 and remember what a pain it was, although she was only a little dog. I remember putting towels on settees, rugs etc etc.

I assume you refer to this one being her last as you are going to have her spayed?

I have no idea about phantom pregnancies being more common but my little girl had two.

All the best and hopefully someone will come along shortly with more experience of phantom pregnancies.
I don't know how you lasted 4 years! I just about coped last time and I've been dreading this one since haha. But I heard it was best to let them have 2 seasons.
Yes I'm going to get her spayed after this one,
I just hope she doesn't have a PP because I have no experience of it whatsoever but she never last time so fingers crossed!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Both Little One and Pereg were spayed after their first [far too early] seasons. LO had an almost silent one but Pereg? Do Not Ask.

No phantoms though, thankfully.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Pepsi is a neutered rescue but Mo was unneutered because of her heart, she couldn't have the anaesthetic

It's a dreadful nuisance and often messy but we coped although I would never do it through choice.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 02:02 PM
oh i remember phoebes first and only. she was nearly 18 months old when it happened. I came down in the morning to find kitchen just covered in blood. I freaked out took her out and set the hose on her thinking she had an injury and i needed to find it quick only to realise once i cleaned her where is was coming from. Having only seen yorkies have a season before that i was shocked at the amount of blood, there was so much but thankfully only lasted a few days. I made her wear adult nappies my friend got me from the hospital
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
I have 3 entire bitches one is 5, one 2 and one only 7 months so no season for her yet but the other two are no problem. Their seasons don't bother them and are barely noticeable. Tbh if it wasn't for Syd poking his nose where it's not wanted I probably wouldn't notice. Milan has a huge crate in the lounge when in season, the door is left open for her so she can go in and get some peace from Syd. She spends most of her time squashed in there with Rio and Diesel for company. I will have to bite the bullet with Milan soon due to her age but it was put off due to her issues and tbh if it wasn't for the increased risk of pyo with age I probably wouldn't bother. Tucson my Pug has barely noticable seasons, carries on as normal and if it wasn't for her sitting on my forearm I probably wouldn't have seen it at all. Bleeding is very minimal and no behaviour changes at all.

eta Milan has never had a phantom, Tucson does but no symptoms other than enlarged nipples. Rio also had a phantom before being spayed and no symptoms other than enlarged nipples. I think my lot are too tired to have any silly ideas about nesting etc. Statistically if they've had one phantom they are likely to have another but if they didn't have one before it doesn't mean they are more likely to do so after the second season.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
oh i remember phoebes first and only. she was nearly 18 months old when it happened. I came down in the morning to find kitchen just covered in blood. I freaked out took her out and set the hose on her thinking she had an injury and i needed to find it quick only to realise once i cleaned her where is was coming from. Having only seen yorkies have a season before that i was shocked at the amount of blood, there was so much but thankfully only lasted a few days. I made her wear adult nappies my friend got me from the hospital
I bet there was lots of blood with the size of phoebe!
Sorry, had to laugh at you with hose but you weren't to know must of been frightening! X
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I have 3 entire bitches one is 5, one 2 and one only 7 months so no season for her yet but the other two are no problem. Their seasons don't bother them and are barely noticeable. Tbh if it wasn't for Syd poking his nose where it's not wanted I probably wouldn't notice. Milan has a huge crate in the lounge when in season, the door is left open for her so she can go in and get some peace from Syd. She spends most of her time squashed in there with Rio and Diesel for company. I will have to bite the bullet with Milan soon due to her age but it was put off due to her issues and tbh if it wasn't for the increased risk of pyo with age I probably wouldn't bother. Tucson my Pug has barely noticable seasons, carries on as normal and if it wasn't for her sitting on my forearm I probably wouldn't have seen it at all. Bleeding is very minimal and no behaviour changes at all.

eta Milan has never had a phantom, Tucson does but no symptoms other than enlarged nipples. Rio also had a phantom before being spayed and no symptoms other than enlarged nipples. I think my lot are too tired to have any silly ideas about nesting etc. Statistically if they've had one phantom they are likely to have another but if they didn't have one before it doesn't mean they are more likely to do so after the second season.
That has just reminded me that kaya had enlarged nipples for a while after her first season, if that was a phantom it passed by unoticed, not to worry then! X
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
I bet there was lots of blood with the size of phoebe!
Sorry, had to laugh at you with hose but you weren't to know must of been frightening! X
dont worry i did aswell. it is funny now. She must have been rolling about in as she was covered along with most of my floor but not drops just smears and smudges. was a bit scary at the time