View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I couldn't let either of my two live out, they're too soft now and I humanise them too much .

But there's something i do love about letting the right breeds of dog live outside, it just seems more natural (but like i say, just not sure I could do it, I'd miss my cuddles ha ha!)

The guard dog on a chain thing I don't really have any knowledge on, but why not just have the dog inside, they can still protect their territory that way if that's what you want them to do.. mine can bark loud and 'scarily' enough for anyone on the lane to hear and take note from the lounge! Luckily they're not barkers unless someone comes right up to the door.

If we ever get a bigger house and garden i'd love an outside indoor kennel and run for my two for when they're filthy wet home from a walk to dry out, and also when we have small kids/babies visiting, or every now and then when we nip out... but not full time.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
Totally agree with this. Mine are mainly outdoor dogs, sleep in kennels and only have access to the back part of the house (office, utility and kitchen).

They get a heck of a lot more physical and mental stimulation than the average "much loved pet" - so who is the better owner? If I'm seen as not loving my dogs simply because they aren't attached to me 24/7 then so be it.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I just can't get my head around loving a dog and it not living with you indoors, mine need cuddles and to be involved in everything we do or they get upset and I think they feel left out. Even when they have choice of being outdoors or in they tend to go indoors, it's very common for me to be sitting in the garden with them as I read a book only to look up and find myself alone as they have slunk back in onto the sofa as it's comfier than grass to sleep on.
Some dogs just prefer the outdoors even if they have the choice.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm currently sitting in my office with the door open, all three dogs are outside somewhere, through choice.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I'm currently sitting in my office with the door open, all three dogs are outside somewhere, through choice.
I'd rather be outside than in my office right now
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
So it is being used as a cheap alarm then ?
I don't think dogs can be considered a cheap alarm.. I mean it costs up to £300 to fit an alarm to your house and then maybe £20 a month to keep it running (depending on the alarm system) However I spend more on my dogs in a month on just food alone.

My dogs were meant to be outdoor once we moved to our new house. I was going to have a kennel and run, but they were going to be able to have free run of the garden during the day. However that never got off the ground, I am far too happy with them in the house now and Louie would hate it, as would Pennie and Sadie, Benjie is the only one who likes to be out in all weathers.

I don't see the problem as long as the dog is cared for, the chain routinely checked, the dogs collar isn't too tight etc..

It doesn't sound like the dog is forgotten about.

Moobli - I LOVE the barrels! I think they look better than the other kennels (wooden) and I can't stand the metal ones, I worked at a boarding place that had them and they were awful.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'd rather be outside than in my office right now
Me too
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Did you even read the post? The dog is not chained up and left to guard... It sounds like a well loved and cared for pet. Maybe the better description should be a 'watch dog'.

Er yes I did

my friend has a rottweiler who has always lived outside. they have a farm, and the rottweiler is seen as a guard dog
Perhaps you didn't
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
Absolutely, you know Viv's views on collies as pets and those who do agility/flyball etc are the devils incarnate (though she is softening her views a little and I can now mention agility without her swearing :lol)

In all cases that I've seen of people being very judgemental (whether working dog owners being against dogs living inside or pet owners thinking the opposite), it seems to me that usually their opinions have been formed from a lack of understanding of the 'other' side.

Of course there are cases where dogs living outside are badly treated, but I would say there are just as many where the dog lives inside.

If my plans come to fruition, I will be getting another dog (or maybe two!) to do some sheep work with. But (mainly because of Hoki and the fact that the house will be a lot smaller than we have now), they won't be living inside.

I just can't get my head around loving a dog and it not living with you indoors, mine need cuddles and to be involved in everything we do or they get upset and I think they feel left out. Even when they have choice of being outdoors or in they tend to go indoors, it's very common for me to be sitting in the garden with them as I read a book only to look up and find myself alone as they have slunk back in onto the sofa as it's comfier than grass to sleep on.
As others have said, it depends on the breed and other circumstances. Yes your pet dogs might well not like to be out without you, but not all circumstances are the same and not all dogs are the same.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
fine i shall use the word watch dog. like i said my friend used the term "guard" very loosely, and may of even meant it in a jokey way, as she doesnt particularly guard. (like ive mentioned she was sunbathing when i got there and hardly batted an eye lid at me)

and ive said, for them, her mum doesnt have animals in the house. they never have according to my friend, so maybe thats why the dog lives outside.. nothing wrong with it really, the dog is loved and well looked after. she is exercised for the majority of the day.. so again i dont see the problem.

what is the difference of this dog, to some of your dogs? who get shut in the kitchen when you go out etc? nothing in my eyes.
Page 7 of 50 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »