Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I actually believe that living outside is the very healthiest thing for all dogs - I just wish mine would listen to me!!
That's a rather sweeping statement - all dogs ? really ?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Do you count a kennel as living outside? I know quite a few people whose dogs live in kennels with runs as they are out all day. They have heating in the winter and insulation in the kennels. My friend's dogs are house dogs when they are at home. I wouldn't be happy with the chain aspect either.
That is pretty much how mine are going to be.

I'm having an internal run fitted in the garage, I will use it when I am out for long periods, we have visitors that are not dog savvy and when they return from walks disgustingly dirty (will dry them off in the run). Aside from that they will be house dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Not something I like to see tbh, and none of mine would like it at all. I am puzzled about a chain though as a guard dog that cannot reach a burglar seems a bit like a chocolate tea pot.
But a barking Rottie - even on a chain - is likely to put off all but the most determined burglar. Also lots of barking = noise = wakes occupants of house up.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But a barking Rottie - even on a chain - is likely to put off all but the most determined burglar. Also lots of barking = noise = wakes occupants of house up.
yes i cant imagine she would ever bite anyone. she isnt aggressive. (like i said she was lay down sun bathing and barely batted an eyelid when i got out of the car) but then again she knows that car and the person who got out of it so maybe she would be different if it was someone she didnt know.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So it is being used as a cheap alarm then ?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
no she isnt used as a cheap alarm. the farm has always had dogs, they have always lived outside. not an alarm, they just dont have the dogs in the house.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:05 PM
It sounds to me, from x-clo-x's description, that this Rottie is a much loved pet and companion, who also just happens to be a deterrent to would be wrong-doers.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Buster prefers to be tethered out front to being loose on the boring bit of grass out back. Granted I'm always out there too. (gardening)
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Forgive my ignorance but don't farm dogs traditionally live out side?
Did it ever accur to people that some dogs actually prefer to live outside then in?

When I used to do work experience for a stable their was a collie who pretty well was left to roam around. He would follow me from stable to stable and was very well behaved. He seemed perfectly happy and healthy too!
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't think it's necessarily cruel to keep a dog outside, but I do question the point of it if the dog isn't a working or guard dog. I understand that people sometimes have so many dogs that having them all live inside isn't practical, but why not stop before it got to that point? Personally I believe dogs are social intelligent creatures that benefit most from living inside with their family and treated as a pet and not a garden fixture.

It's obviously different for working sheep dogs, etc though, they're not just pets but animals with a purpose beyond just being a companion and a working bred border collie that's lived on a farm all it's life is going to fare much better outside than a pomeranian etc.
Page 4 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »