View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Also for the record (only), since I was old enough, I have voted for every political party except conservative. I could never swallow the greed.

Snorri
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Sadly I think the greed encompasses all parties.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
As a former civil servant, I can't possibly agree with this. Civil servants are always the first target in this kind of exercise, as the general public doesn't really have a clue what they do - yet no government since before the Romans has managed to function without them. BTW, civil servants are barely paid a pittance, so you ain't gonna save all that much by dumping them. Dump the useless politicians instead - they do NOTHING.

Snorri
Which is exactly why 20% are being made redundant.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 02:39 PM
I will not apologise for my rant my Husband is excellent at his job and the Local Borough have lost a hard working conscientious worker.

Many people are hard working and conscientious, so why the public sector should be exempt from cost cutting is beyond me.
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Genuine savings should be made, but there seems to be a lot more gloating in this instance.
People are to be put out of work.
Its always a personal disaster for the individual.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I will not apologise for my rant my Husband is excellent at his job and the Local Borough have lost a hard working conscientious worker.

Many people are hard working and conscientious, so why the public sector should be exempt from cost cutting is beyond me.
Nobody has said they should be exempt it is the way it has been done that is disgraceful and your words have not helped by accusing them of being a waste of space and too many pen pushers maybe you should find out more about the people who are losing their jobs and what they do before making such sweeping statements.

There are as many shirkers in the all the other sectors too so why pick on the public sector and make out they are the ones who are the reason for this problem and so making them redundant seems to be ok.

What about the banks and the high earners and the ones in high positions who take big bonus's why aren't they paying ? Public sector workers do not get bonus's.

The banks have helped create a lot of the problems we are in at the moment and if I recall correctly it fell to the tax payer to pay out to float the banks again not so long ago. That included all tax payers including public sector workers.

The way your Post comes across is that public sector workers are a waste of space should be made redundant and have no right to pensions. They are tax payers the same as everyone else and are just as entitled as the next person to their pension and yes it has made me cross and I am quite shocked that this is how most people seem to feel. Lets hope it doesn't affect some of you in the future. The way things are going it may well do wonder how you will feel then and the particular sector you or someone close to you is working in and someone comes across the way you do when it is affecting you directly or indirectly.

Wait till the nurses are cut back and waiting times are even longer there are going to be cut backs to the fire service and to the police all public sector workers are they are waste of space ?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Exactly and there are as many shirkers in the all the other sectors too

Most [and I dont include some banks] are not owned by the government.

I dont think cameron can make tesco employees redundant or maybe im wrong.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Exactly and there are as many shirkers in the all the other sectors too

Most [and I dont include some banks] are not owned by the government.

I dont think cameron can make tesco employees redundant or maybe im wrong.
When the middle earners drop off from shopping in Tesco or Sainbury's because they have to cut back on their shopping bills it will not be the government directly but it will affect their takings and they will have to lay people off because people will be opting to shop in the shops such as Lidl Aldi or Netto not that there is anything wrong with those shops they do some excellent stuff but if they are not taking the money they cannot pay the staff.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Sadly , as with all cut backs, there will be casualties (none deserving) that will be amongst the cut backs.

But to be honest, its about time the public sector is targeted.

To many incompetent people in jobs for life , and do little to earn their money , yet have increadable pensions and benifits.

That does not include the lower end of the hands on sector, but unfortunately methinks some of them will be targeted
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I say good.

AND stop paying them sick pay and why should i subsidise their pension.

Too many pen pushers walking around doing nothing.

Excuse me ?? So Public Sector workers shouldn't be paid when they are ill & shouldn't get an Occupational pension because they do nothing ????

I'm a recently retired Public Sector worker & I was off work with a work related illness before they terminated my contract for medical inefficiency(caused by the work I did)So I shouldn't have been paid any Sickness Benefits at all What was I supposed to live on ?? I cannot work now even though I want to.

I was physically assaulted more than once in my"overpaid"(under the national average salary BTW)career, but I suppose I deserved it for being a "Pen Pusher"

So much cr@p is written about Public Sector workers when in fact the only highly paid ones are at the very top of the ladder & these will not be the ones losing their jobs. They do pay into their pension scheme & ony receive the same sickness pay as many other people in employment.

When I had my leg broken in three places during an assault whilst at work, I was expected to be back at work the day have on crutches ! I had to get myself into work in a Taxi(instead of walking in)& to do the "indoor"side of my job until I was able to drive & walk normally again.

Don't forget Public Sector workers include Paramedics, Police, Nurses, firefighters etc as well as the Home Carers, Council employees etc etc
Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »