Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
So what was the reasoning behind breeding a cocker with a poodle?

What made you not want a pure bred poodle or a pure bred cocker?
Do you mean originally or nowadays? Originally I have no idea to be honest, although I think they started in the States as helper dogs of some sort. Might be wrong though.

Nowasays, I think they are probably being bred mostly because they can be sold for hundreds of ££££'s as their popularity increases. Not the best reason, but I am not stupid enough to think there is any other reason.

As for why I decided on one, there was no reason to be honest - it all happened by chance.

I was out with my dog and met someone who was out with their dog. I couldn't identify the breed and so asked what it was and got told it was a cockerpoo - I had never heard of them before.

I did a bit of reading about them but thought no more about it - I already had a dog and had no thoughts of getting any more.

When my dog died, and I decided to get another one, I remembered about the cockerpoo, and started looking into it a bit more.

I found there was a breeder locally, went and saw him, saw his dogs and decided to get one.

Look, I know I could have gone and got a pure pedigree poodle or cocker, or another stray/rescue dog, but I fell in love with the puppies I saw and decided thats what I wanted.

I am not getting it because it is a so called designer dog, I am not going to do a Paris Hilton and walk around with it in a handbag, and I dont care if people want me to refer to it as a mongrel, mutt, crossbreed or an abomination never to be mentioned ever again!

I am looking forward to getting the little chap, to giving it a good loving home, training it to be a decent dog and looking after it for as long as it lives.

Simple as that really.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
It's not the names of the dogs which I have a problem with, after all, saying "cockerpoo" is easier than saying the whole thing. I have a problem with the prices these crossbreeders charge, often well in excess of either pedigree used. I also have a problem with crossing 2 totally different breeds because they might look interesting.

On a certain well known puppy site there is currently welsh collies x GWP's. You couldnt get 2 different breeds if you tried. Will it herd a sheep or point it?? The ad has the audacity to claim they will make excellent working dogs. For what exactly??!!

I have a crossbreed but I paid a sensible price and at least both breeds in the cross are HPR's with similar looks. I could be fairly sure of the breed characteristics of Flynn and wasnt going to get opposing breed traits battling it out for supremacy! Many designer crosses are gambles as the breeds used are at odds IMO.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
It's not the names of the dogs which I have a problem with, after all, saying "cockerpoo" is easier than saying the whole thing. I have a problem with the prices these crossbreeders charge, often well in excess of either pedigree used. I also have a problem with crossing 2 totally different breeds because they might look interesting.

On a certain well known puppy site there is currently welsh collies x GWP's. You couldnt get 2 different breeds if you tried. Will it herd a sheep or point it?? The ad has the audacity to claim they will make excellent working dogs. For what exactly??!!

I have a crossbreed but I paid a sensible price and at least both breeds in the cross are HPR's with similar looks. I could be fairly sure of the breed characteristics of Flynn and wasnt going to get opposing breed traits battling it out for supremacy! Many designer crosses are gambles as the breeds used are at odds IMO.
I guess if people are happy to spend their money like that then it is up to them. I don't have a problem with the cost I am being asked to pay to be honest - if I did have I wouldn't have gone ahead and decided to get it.

The problems with crossing different breeds willy-nilly though I can see could be a problem and result in problems. You describe the cross of a Collie and a GWP as a 'gamble' and I agree that it probably is.

Personally, I feel that cockerpoo's do not fall into the category of being a gamble as it is a breed (for want of a better word) that has been established since the 1950's, although I realise that not everyone will share that view.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cintvelt
Purposefully breeding Hairless dogs?????? That is really ridiculous, and pure cruelty in my opinion!!!!!! Dogs have hair for a reason, if you have a problem with dog-hair, don't get a dog! If you want something to dress up, get a barbie!!!! If you're allergic, there are breeds out there already which are anti-allergic... but dogs need hair!!!
What breeds are anti allergic?

I know several people who are severely asthmatic and allergic,, but have no problems with dalmations, and I've been told that labradoodles are anti-allergic as well..... If you want I can look into the science of the whole thing.... I'm sure there are more....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But its not a breed its a mutt so why make up some daft name? I would be wanting a lot more than eye checks before I sign up for a dog espcially of those breeds and would also be wanting to see hips etc well before I signed up to buy a dog - with both breeds being prone to lux I would want to be very very sure they had been checked well before they were bred.

Arj yes the good old my rescue was a sick poorly dog - so obviously all rescue dogs are! My rescues are purebreed, health checked and can be traced back a hundred years - go figure!
He sure is one cute mut pup!

What breeds are anti allergic?

But its ok to breed a couple of dogs and have no idea about what you are going to get out of it? thats not interfernece?

Couldnt agree more!

Not at all! I dont understand your reasoning! I have muts - dont mind calling them that. I also have had and have totally pure bred dogs with a pedigree you can trase back decades. Do I agree with purposely breeding x breeds - NO! Its nowt to do with snobbery just bad breeding practises! I dont agree with breeding pure breeds either when you know they will end up in rescue

Too true (shock horror me and JB agreeing!)

once in a while we are on the same page

Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I guess if people are happy to spend their money like that then it is up to them. I don't have a problem with the cost I am being asked to pay to be honest - if I did have I wouldn't have gone ahead and decided to get it.

The problems with crossing different breeds willy-nilly though I can see could be a problem and result in problems. You describe the cross of a Collie and a GWP as a 'gamble' and I agree that it probably is.

Personally, I feel that cockerpoo's do not fall into the category of being a gamble as it is a breed (for want of a better word) that has been established since the 1950's, although I realise that not everyone will share that view.
No your right not everyone shares your view, the cockerpoo is not a breed , its a crossbreed, the labradoodle has been around for as long as the cockerpoo, and its still does not have breed recognition.

Don't you think after 50/60 odd yrs , of trying to produce a new breed , they would be breeding true to type and to gain status as a breed the offspring shave to breed true to type , generation after generation.

There are new breeds that have achieved this, is a shorter time scale than the poos and doodles... but that takes dedication and purpose, and yrs of record keeping , can the same be said for all the poo breeders out there.

Like you said you found someone be accident who decided to bred his dogs..what generation of poos are they, what health certificates does the breeder hold..(I dont mean a all clear by the vet) what research did the breeder take into suitability of the dogs he bred from...so on and so on.

Why is after all this time of breeding this new breed are they not uniform or recognized, by the US KC (as breed origin) do you think it may be because the breeding practices are indiscriminate world wide with no thought other than money for the uniformity or health of the dogs they are producing.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:18 PM
This annoys me too. to me, it is just people trying to pretend they have a pedigree, which they do not. I don’t know why people cant just say they have a poodle x Labrador, or a cocker spaniel x poodle etc etc. a lot of it is pure snobbery. im not going to make some stupid name for jake's 'breed'.

Also, talking about rescues etc, I just want to say that you can still get puppies in rescue. As can you also get a specific breed rescue, there are specific breed rescues up and down the country that people can go to. if people can wait months and months for a pup, then why cant they wait that time for a suitable rescue dog? I think a lot of it (not all depending on the individual situation and circumstance) is snobbery, and for some people it is downright impatience.

I also do not agree that every dog comes from a ‘breeder’. I certainly do not class jake as coming from a breeder, he came from an irresponsible owner whose dog somehow got pregnant (I don’t know the circumstances surrounding that) and that handed them into the SSPCA. Trying to claim everyone whose dog has a litter, planned or not, is a breeder just makes no sense to me

I have a crossbreed, who is also a rescue and the snobbery of some people towards us just sickens me! it is a topic that really pees me off!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
This annoys me too. to me, it is just people trying to pretend they have a pedigree, which they do not. I don’t know why people cant just say they have a poodle x Labrador, or a cocker spaniel x poodle etc etc. a lot of it is pure snobbery. im not going to make some stupid name for jake's 'breed'.

Also, talking about rescues etc, I just want to say that you can still get puppies in rescue. As can you also get a specific breed rescue, there are specific breed rescues up and down the country that people can go to. if people can wait months and months for a pup, then why cant they wait that time for a suitable rescue dog? I think a lot of it (not all depending on the individual situation and circumstance) is snobbery, and for some people it is downright impatience.

I also do not agree that every dog comes from a ‘breeder’. I certainly do not class jake as coming from a breeder, he came from an irresponsible owner whose dog somehow got pregnant (I don’t know the circumstances surrounding that) and that handed them into the SSPCA. Trying to claim everyone whose dog has a litter, planned or not, is a breeder just makes no sense to me

I have a crossbreed, who is also a rescue and the snobbery of some people towards us just sickens me! it is a topic that really pees me off!
And what did they become because of that whatever way you look at it they breed him, they allowed the bitch to become pregnant, and then never dealt with it, by that I mean injection, and then they had the pups be born, all in all they are Jakes breeder, as thats how he got here, that is what I think people mean Lozzi.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:31 PM

hi o/t
i know someone just like that,new his bitch was pregnant at an early stage,was advised all the options...nothing till the poor bitch (not even a year) had had the pups,when asked did they have homes,the answer...im giving them to one of those rehoming places'(rescue center)
when asked why did you let her have pups?...answer... "i dont believe in abortion'
still a breeder
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
And what did they become because of that whatever way you look at it they breed him, they allowed the bitch to become pregnant, and then never dealt with it, by that I mean injection, and then they had the pups be born, all in all they are Jakes breeder, as thats how he got here, that is what I think people mean Lozzi.
i still dont agree. no one can say the circumstance to which she became pregnant, for all we know she could have gotten out through no fault of the owners and become pregnant and they didnt find out till it was too late... it could have come about a whole number of ways, but we dont know. i think the term breeder is used far too losely with some people.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
i still dont agree. no one can say the circumstance to which she became pregnant, for all we know she could have gotten out through no fault of the owners and become pregnant and they didnt find out till it was too late... it could have come about a whole number of ways, but we dont know. i think the term breeder is used far too losely with some people.
Question, if they sold the pups instead of putting them under the care of a rescue would they then have been breeders?
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 50 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »