Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
That sounds like something soft furnishings would be called :smt005
Oooh, sounds like just the thing to put your feet up on at the end of a long day!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2007, 09:30 PM
just stupid names for cross breeds tbh

although i call my dog sometimes a sprollie - shes justa plain old springer x - which i dont mind

yes once i got shot down for refering to her as a sprollie - but i did not buy her for the name - i bought her because she was from an accidental litter and i wanted an agility dog - so springer + jumping = hopefuly going far lol!!!!

but yeah - these purpose bred x's - stupid
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Sorry if I'm being dumb here but I can't understand why people are getting so wound up. Pure breeds originated from crossbreeds. I understand the fustration of bybs doing it but what the difference between ethical breeders who carryout all the tests, why are they any different to other ethical breeders? Would somebody mind explaining?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
Sorry if I'm being dumb here but I can't understand why people are getting so wound up. Pure breeds originated from crossbreeds. I understand the fustration of bybs doing it but what the difference between ethical breeders who carryout all the tests, why are they any different to other ethical breeders? Would somebody mind explaining?
I think the main reason people object is because they can't see any other purpose for most of these crossbreeds than making money and most of us on here object to that as being the primary reason for breeding any dog.

Yes, purebreds orginated from crossbreeds, but there was always a purpose behind the breeding. All the crossbreeds that you see with these designer names seem to be purely with the intention of making money from them.

10 years ago no-one would have paid the same or more for a first cross than they would have for a pedigree - it seems to be the fancy names that are being given to these dogs that are making people by them and many of the purchasers don't really understand what they are buying.

Yes, I understand the thinking behind the labradoodle and if the breeders carried on breeding labradoodle to labradoodle (chosing only those with the traits that were supposed to by why the cross was introduced - e.g. no shedding coats), I personally wouldn't have any problem. But most of the labradoodles you see advertised are still first crosses and as such have no 'breed standard You have no idea whether they will get the coat of one or other of the breed, same for the colouring, same for the temperement.

Don't get me wrong, I actually quite like crosses, I had only mongrels growing up, but when people don't actually know how the pup is going to turn out, I can't understand them paying £100's - why not just get a cross from rescue?

I bet if people stopped paying what I think of silly money for these crosses, most of the breeders would stop -IMO they are not in it for the love of the breed.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain :smt001
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

23-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think the main reason people object is because they can't see any other purpose for most of these crossbreeds than making money and most of us on here object to that as being the primary reason for breeding any dog.

Yes, purebreds orginated from crossbreeds, but there was always a purpose behind the breeding. All the crossbreeds that you see with these designer names seem to be purely with the intention of making money from them.

10 years ago no-one would have paid the same or more for a first cross than they would have for a pedigree - it seems to be the fancy names that are being given to these dogs that are making people by them and many of the purchasers don't really understand what they are buying.

Yes, I understand the thinking behind the labradoodle and if the breeders carried on breeding labradoodle to labradoodle (chosing only those with the traits that were supposed to by why the cross was introduced - e.g. no shedding coats), I personally wouldn't have any problem. But most of the labradoodles you see advertised are still first crosses and as such have no 'breed standard You have no idea whether they will get the coat of one or other of the breed, same for the colouring, same for the temperement.

Don't get me wrong, I actually quite like crosses, I had only mongrels growing up, but when people don't actually know how the pup is going to turn out, I can't understand them paying £100's - why not just get a cross from rescue?

I bet if people stopped paying what I think of silly money for these crosses, most of the breeders would stop -IMO they are not in it for the love of the breed.
Couldn't have put it better Fiona, Great post, especially the last paragraph. Where therer is no demand this would help stop them breeding. Like you say the majority are only in it for the money.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-11-2007, 03:00 PM
A fancy way of making big bucks from a mutt (no offence to the mutt)

greetings

johan
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I'll just put my penny's worth in, they're Mongrels, and all the breeders are doing is trying to make a buck out of silly people.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Yes,the established breeds we have today came about as the result of crossing different breeds, and after many years of breeding and careful selection standard types were arrived at, but this was not without great cost. Many dogs that were produced and proved not to be 'to type' were culled. This is why it would be practically impossible to produce a standard type for a new breed these days.

Established breeds have discernible traits that makes them suitable for different purposes/people. The new designer breed have no standard type/ discernible traits and for me there is no legitimate reason to purposely cross breed dogs, there are plenty of established breeds /accidentally bred/rescue dogs to choose from already.
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Got to say i agree with most,its all money.Just an instance,nobody seems to be thinking about the dogs their crossing.A poodle has a different mouth from a lab.I am sure some way down the line some pups have more teeth than they should have.If the ladradoodle has a poodle type mouth i am sure there would be trouble vice versa.Amoungst other things.Cross breeding should be thought out carefully and planned properly.It doesn;t mean i agree with this.To me there mongrels,but let someone wind me up about my lurcher i sulk.My son is doing it to me .lol.He says oh mum weres ye mongrel.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >