Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Ohh believe me I did a double take at that one I can't say on here the first thought in my head, it did start with "For" and ended in "Sake" though!!!
I agree, I think the whole notion of the "Novelty" dogs for making money is disgusting, but I still chuckled at the Yorkiwowas :smt043
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I agree with Becky 100% and really only thought I should post because when I saw the names "Peekapoo" and "Yorkiwowas" I was crying with laughter, they just sound so funny :smt042

I agree too but it was this line that got me

Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
"Is that a Dollie?!"
I completely misunderstood, took her for a mad woman and replied, "No... it's a dog!"
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 02:41 PM
At Murphy's puppy class there was a Min-Pin-Poo...

A miniature poodle cross miniature pinscher...

She was very sweet, but her owner kept insisting that it was an actual dog breed, not just a cross
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 04:06 PM
and that's what I get annoyed at, they aren't breeds just crosses with a rather bizarre name!
Becky
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2007, 05:03 PM
If anyone asks me what breed of dog mine are, I just say they're bitsa's. If they ask me what they are a cross between I just say that I don't know cos I got fed up with being accused of having designer dogs

I got crossbreeds partly because I was exasperated by being asked what 'breeding' my Akita was and what 'line' she was from and snide comments about the kennels that bred her etc (amongst other things) but it seems that now it is just as bad with crosses.

Mine are just dogs and do not have any labels, designer or otherwise.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Are these dogs with daft names (no offense intended, honestly ) now recognised as actual breeds?

No they are not. In my opinion, those deliberately breeding crossbreeds / mutts / mongrels and attaching silly names to them are doing so only because it increases the selling price.

`Labradoodles` purpose bred can go for up to £1,200

My old girl was a Lab x Poodle, a private rescue - did`nt pay a bean.

I refuse to demean her memory by calling her the silly designer name. She was also an `accident`, not `purpose bred`.

There are dog being purpose bred for agility called Borderjacks - Border Collie x Jack Russell. They go for a few hundred each.

I have a BC x JRT - I adopted her from rescue. I won`t demean her with the designer name either.

When called a designer name, there are £ signs attached for no reason other than the name imo. The exact same crosses [ and more besides ], are available in rescue`s everywhere, every day - but called what they are - crossbreeds - and no £ signs attached other than the standard adoption fee which is the same at each individual rescue for a crossbreed as for a purebred, including pedigree`s handed in with papers which might well have been from health tested parents [ any claiming they health test to breed crossbreeds are just silly imo, or anyone falling for it anyway, many are affected not just by a breeds common conditions but new ones are created because of vast differences in the sizes and builds of dogs used ].

So people have a choice - pay silly money for a crossbreed bred to line breeders pockets, or adopt from a rescue where the same cross and others are available...

Nuff said
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

It annoys me greatly that rescue centres are jammed packed with dogs and are at capacity already. The last thing they need is people deliberately crossing these dogs without a thought as to how they are going to sell them and no doubt a great deal of unwanted puppies/young adolescents are going to end up in shelters.
Oh they probably do think of that - they attach a designer name then advertise them on free ad sites - any they dont sell before they are past the `cute fluffy` stage then probably being dumped at rescues, then they get their next `designer` litter underway
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 09:09 PM
So when I start breeding my short coated chunky poms you wont be happy if I call them Plush Poms then? :smt002
Becky
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 09:19 PM
a complete stranger came running across the road exclamining "Is that a Dollie?!"
I completely misunderstood, took her for a mad woman and replied, "No... it's a dog!"
I would have loved to have seen that But she probably went and told all of her friends that she'd met a lady who had never even heard of a Dollie and can't understand how you cannot know about a breed that is so in vogue.

I've nothing against crossbreeds (obviously!) but they are just that, crossbreeds. If someone is not interested in breeding, showing or a particular breed then their nearest rescue will have an abundance of various doodles, ollies, poos etc, at a fraction of the cost.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
So when I start breeding my short coated chunky poms you wont be happy if I call them Plush Poms then? :smt002
Becky

That sounds like something soft furnishings would be called :smt005
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >