View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Words are signals to how we think. So `it` when used of an an animal to me implies a distance. So where I might say `it`s feeding` when talking about a bird on the bird table, or a dog I don`t know (watch out, it`s heading towards the road) to use `it` of an animal I know and have affection for would be very odd. IMO.
Possibly used by people who may have a different view of animals?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I really wouldn't get that exercised, hot or bothered about what total strangers called my dog or even their own for that matter.

I do refer to myself as 'Bella's Mum' when phoning the boarding kennels I use. And when I phoned them yesterday to say I was coming over to get her - their response was 'The Ayatollah is waiting for you' lol! No he, she or it - we ALL know they mean Bella!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I refer to Mav as "it" when he has been naughty!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't think I've ever referred to mine as "it" before, I have however, called them a lot worse!!!

We do try to not over-use their names in conversation, so often they are referred to as, e.g. "the ginger one" or other various nicknames.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I only use "it" on my own dogs if they've been little cacks and up to something that's annoyed me. I often use "that thing" in the same context. People who use "it" in public to refer to their dogs make me sad.

I do call strange dogs it occasionally, but he or she if it's obvious what sex they are. Often use he as a default too and apologise if the dog is a girl.

I don't use furbabies/kids, but my mum refers to herself as grandma even in public. I'm usually referred to as their pet person and they are the doglets (and bunsters for the rabbits). I often come home from shopping and shout "Mummy wolf is home!" to them as they must think I'm a hell of a hunter the amount of food I bring them.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I really wouldn't get that exercised, hot or bothered about what total strangers called my dog or even their own for that matter.
Totally agree...unless of course, they are dissing them

I am not their mum and never will be. I didn't give birth to them! They are dogs, not kids, furbabies etc etc. I think they would actually be offended to be compared to the human race!

Helen
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't think I've ever referred to my dog as "it" although I do know I've used it for dogs of unknown gender. Usually I refer to all dogs as "he" until I know otherwise though

I would find it a bit weird if someone were referring to their own dog as "it" but when someone asks me about mine "is it a boy or a girl?" I don't find that weird.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

I am not their mum and never will be. I didn't give birth to them! They are dogs, not kids, furbabies etc etc. I think they would actually be offended to be compared to the human race!

Helen

You make a good point - I am sure the Ayatollah thinks she is descended from a superior race than humans!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Has anyone else come across people routinely referring to their dog as "it" rather than by specific name or gender (he/she) or "my dog" etc?

I.e "it" did this, "it" was doing that, etc.

I find it very jarring and am always concerned about their relationship with their dog if this is, IMO, the rather remote way that they view "it".

Do/would you find it equally concerning?
it (full pun intended ) doesnt really concern me, as i dont see an automatic connection between this phrase and relationship with dog. i think people that say 'it' are just as likely to have a good and bad relationship with their dog just as much as anyone whom doesnt refer to their dog as 'it'.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Helen
i can see an irony in your statement above

otherwise,i cant see any problems with comparing dogs to humans, or calling oneself their parent
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >