Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think in the past crufts type people were up on a high pedestal where people thought of them as almost gods of the dog world
I am not sure what "crufts type people" are, but I am assuming I am one of them having shown my dogs successfully there for a number of years.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:46 PM
OK these two are local to me and the older is a dog groomer.
My cousin went to look at a yorkie pup just before they were visited by the dog wardens RSPCA etc. She was shown into one small room that had mum and a litter in and said everything seemed normal so obviously the squalor was behind the scenes.
Also the so called Crufts dogs must have been clean or they wouldnt have won.
Still dispicable but dont think anyone knew until it came to light except for the person who reported them presumably.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am not sure what "crufts type people" are, but I am assuming I am one of them having shown my dogs successfully there for a number of years.
Almost a god then-----LOL

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Almost a god then-----LOL

rune

What do you mean ALMOST!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Disgusting..dog showing is just an activity they competed in, doesnt make it any worse than any other person leaving dogs to suffer..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:47 PM
I am talking about the view the general public used to have

Plenty of people around here - before the program - paid extra and used to boast that their pup had a grandfather who went to crufts or something

Now people boast about having their healthy crossbreeds

I was just pointing out that the views have gone from one side to the other - it would be good if there was a little balance
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Not being defensive at all, and I am not sure why Crufts is coming into the argument.

Crufts is only ONE show and to qualify for this show all dogs have to have done just that, won or been placed in certain classes at Championship Shows. What about the reputation of THOSE shows.

As for knowing what was going on in their house, what makes you think that anyone SHOULD know? Do you know if they have visitors?

Lots of people never have people in whether they have dogs or not!

And we are ALL part of the "Dog World" whether you show or not.

My views would be the same if you replaced the word dog with child.

The facts are that some dogs owners were prosecuted for animal welfare. The fact that they were show goers is immaterial.

It does not make the offences any worse or any better than if they were pet dogs, agility dogs, field trial dogs etc.

You accused the show world of applauding such people, that is not a correct statement; they were not applauded for their crimes; we do not even know if anyone in the show world KNEW what was going on.

I really hate sensationalism which smacks of the "red tops". Just stick to the facts.

This sort of prosecution rebounds on the DOG OWNING world, whether you like it or not, the same way as DOG FIGHTING does, and DOG ATTACKS do, and people who do not clear up after their dogs.

Let us not demonise a particular section of dog owners, as this is not exclusive to them but to ALL.
Oh so, so well said! We should concentrate on trying to prevent suffering for dogs in every walk of life, instead of focusing on belittling one section of it. So many dogs suffer at the hands of people from all sections of society, no one dogs suffering is more important than anothers.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Disgusting that any dogs are kept in those conditions

THere are good and bad in everything so I dont think the show world can be blamed - if individuals knew about this then it is bad they didnt do something about it sooner but I am sure the majority didnt know this

It does make me think tho about the advice people give people looking for a puppy - or looking to breed a puppy. Great prestige is given to people who are doing well at crufts
and of course there will be some fantastic breeders who do well at crufts
but this really goes to show that there can also be people who are worse than puppy farmers too

and before I get jumped on I know there will be just as bad people in the sports world, the working world and the pet world

I think in the past crufts type people were up on a high pedestal where people thought of them as almost gods of the dog world
Now after the tv show it has gone to far the other way

I think the balance needs to be redressed, the showing world is not better and it is not worse than everyone else - its just people, some good, some bad
That would be me then. I cant recall being anything other than "me" though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Is being a " crufts type" person an arrestable offence?

You know, like being a pit bull terrier type?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Is being a " crufts type" person an arrestable offence?

You know, like being a pit bull terrier type?
Please stop tempting me!

rune
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »