Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 07:17 PM

"He just wants to play" rant

Been out walking with Monty this evening along the old railway line and normally we see plenty of other dogs up there.

Today it was quite quiet and if other dogs were onlead then Monty went back on lead whilst we walked past.

Walked a bit further on and there were two dogs off lead with a man so i left Monty off his lead. Monty saw the other dog and he lay on the floor like a collie does with sheep like he always does and the other dog did the same and i know this is Monty's way of initiating a game of chase.

The man shouted that his dog was friendly and i said the same of Monty

Eventually the other dog came running towards him and Monty got up then all hell broke loose. The other dog was snapping in his face and Monty retreated away and the other dog just lunged at him trying to grab his neck and bite him and it didn't look like friendly play to me.

The man just stood there and said "oh he doesn't normally play that rough but he does love to play". At this point I asked him to call his dog away as Monty was backed into a hedge trying to get away. The man called his dog back and Monty came straight to me to go back onlead and looked quite shaky.

The man apologised and again said "he just loves to play" and then said "there must just be something about your dog love". At which point i said nothing and walked the opposite direction.

I was bloody fuming, Monty never approached his dog and was basically ambushed. Yes he snapped back but i think he was in his rights given that he was being snapped and snarled at.

I'd love to know what "it" is about my dog that supposedly sets other dogs off?
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I think that guy needs to learn what playing and being friendly is and what being aggressive is because he seems to be missing the difference somewhat! I hate it when people say "he's just being friendly" when their dog is blatantly being aggressive.

Sorry it happened to you and Monty. Hope he isn't feeling too bad now.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
that's awful and i'm glad monty was ok if a little shaken! i remember a shepherd that pinned lily to the floor when she was tiny and was quite obviously getting very agitated. the guy was completely oblivious to his dogs actions and i did have to grab her almost from out of his dogs jaws!! he then told me that his dog was very 'playful' but i heard later from other walkers that this dog makes it a habit of flattening any dog that goes near it.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I just don't understand why it always seems to happen to Monty. I don't whether he genuinelly does give off some "weak dog" vibe or whether there's just a lot of nasty dogs where we live?!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:01 PM
As the man said his dog doesn't usually act so roughly, so I'd give him the benifit of the doubt in that respect. Was it perhaps that both dogs wanted to play chase, but both wanted to do the chasing rather than being the "play prey"?

So the guy's dog decided to try and get your dog running by getting in his face?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
it seems abit odd though that the man's dog kicked off and he didn't jump in to stop him. i find that strange and it could be that he just doesn't understand proper play versus trouble starting.

poor monty, it sounds like he is just unfortunate.
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
sorry to hear what happened it also happened to bert today we decided we would walk the 2 miles over the fields to my nans as she misses the dogs since we moved and it was nice we do half by road half by field i saw a dog so put them on the lead as bert can be a little full on on first meet everyone must play with him. then this dog came flying over and started having a go at him the person who was with him had no control at all and because buster thought bert was being hurt he started trying to help him so i was trying to keep this dog off bert and keep buster out of it and she just stood there saying it wasn't her dog n it was the first time she'd took it out and she didn't know he was like that with other dogs i was furious i was shakin by the time i got to my nans i was that annoyed lukily neither of my dogs where hurt
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
As the man said his dog doesn't usually act so roughly, so I'd give him the benifit of the doubt in that respect. Was it perhaps that both dogs wanted to play chase, but both wanted to do the chasing rather than being the "play prey"?

So the guy's dog decided to try and get your dog running by getting in his face?
Never thought about it like that so suppose it could be that they both wanted to chase rather than be chased.

I'm sure his dog is usually friendly as well and maybe not always like that but it seemed to fly at Monty a little too easily considering Monty did nothing until the other dog charged at him snarling.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
one of my soringers does that but to our other soiner not another dog .if he goes off i call him and if he doesnt return straight away she goes down until he reaches me and has a go at him grabbing his neck but shes never done it to another dog
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I have noticed a lot of dogs don't like boxers Star used to be attacked on a regular basis when she was young by dogs that were friendly.

Not sure whether it is the stance, facial expressions or the breathing that makes other breeds wary of them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >