View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I just can't understand people who don't take precautions with their dogs - Angus has been attacked a few times but this has made him quite nasty with dogs (we are working on it) so I always put him straight on lead with other dogs around - he now has stopped barking at them and will just watch them go by.

Sorry poor Isla and Woody have had their confidence shot - hope it won't be long before they are a bit happier again - but it takes just one inconsiderate owner to ruin it again doesn't it.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Sometimes even if the dog is on a lead major damage can be done. I just found out this morning from my friend that her Shar-pei was savaged and nearly killed by 2 Akitas.

This man round the corner from us has 2 Akitas and can't control them even on their leads. I often see him being dragged up the road by them and avoid him at all costs. Unfortunately my friend walked round the corner and came face to face with him and his dogs. They pounced on the Shar-pei straightaway, still on their leads, and the man did nothing to stop them.

The shar=pei managed to get out of his collar and I suppose that's what saved his life. He's in a lot of pain and won't let his owner anywhere near him. I suggested she go to the police with photos of her dogs injuries. Se has the address of the man with the Akitas.

Ripsnorter, maybe you could come up to us one weekend to let Isla have a run round with Bryan, he's very friendly and likes to play zoomies
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:00 PM
This is exactly the sort of irresponsible dog owner who ends up with a badly mauled dog and then will play hell with the other owner whose dog was defending itself

It ticks me off no end when I hear things like this - it has happened to me countless times and people say stuff like "it will have you for breakfast" aiming it at Marius as their little 'darling' is trying to attack him.

It wouldn't be that though if your dog attacked them and they had a huge vet bill to cope with - arrghhhh!!!

Hopefully, you will meet up with some nice dogs and their owners and regain her confidence a bit.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
We have a nutty woman with a Jack Russell around here. Never has the dog on a lead along roads and allows it to bomb up to other dogs (usually across the road) while it tries to attack. Her attempt at regaining control involves laughing and ignoring it. If the shoe was on the other foot and I allowed my dog to behave in such a way, being much larger, I dare say the police would be involved. But because it is a Jack Russell? oh, it is harmless.
This sounds a lot like the couple I met yesterday. It's fact that they found it so damn funny that riled me! Isla wasn't harmed physically, but it'll take weeks of work to get her confidence back again.
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
that's the kind of behaviour from other russell owners that really gets on my wick. Gives us all a bad name. Those types shouldn't be allowed to own any dog!

I'm sorry for Isla that she hasn't found some dogs she can have happy experiences with. It is upsetting. It took me 16 months or so to get Missy straightened out again after she was attacked by a numpty's dog.
Perhaps there ought to be breeding restrictions on humans!
I think she'd been badly attacked 3 times now, the first two times she got over it quite well, but the third just seems to have knocked her confidence completely. Like I said though, I suppose I should be greatful she chooses to flee rather than fight, I'd have a real problem on my hands then!

And breeding restrictions on humans - excellent idea!

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sorry to hear about Islas bad experience, there really are some idiots about these days.
Thanks hun, we seemed to be an idiot magnet yesterday!
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
What jerks!

We bumped into a morbidly obese chocolate lab the other day, with it's morbidly obese owner who was walking on and not even watching him.

Whilst not aggressive Mr Fatso came bounding up at me, my husband and little Woody who was so frightened he was yelping in fear. The dog was working his round round all of us and was so strong he nearly knocked my husband over, let alone me and Woody.

I yelled out that she perhaps ought to call her dog back but she carried on walking. We had to walk up to her to get him back and all she did was laugh and say "oh Rosco, get down" with no meaning at all, despite the fact that Woody was reared back and yelping/whimpering in fear.

Stupid *****. I was so angry.

Since then he is petrified of bigger dogs bounding up to him although slowly but surely getting better.

If I ever see her again, well, let's just say I wont be quite so reserved next time!
Sorry to hear Woody had a bad experience, I suppose it's something we all get used to sadly.
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I just can't understand people who don't take precautions with their dogs - Angus has been attacked a few times but this has made him quite nasty with dogs (we are working on it) so I always put him straight on lead with other dogs around - he now has stopped barking at them and will just watch them go by.

Sorry poor Isla and Woody have had their confidence shot - hope it won't be long before they are a bit happier again - but it takes just one inconsiderate owner to ruin it again doesn't it.
This is it, it's all very well having a good laugh to yourself cos your dog is being "grumpy", but what people don't consider is the effect it will have to the dog being attacked. I sometimes wonder if Isla being so submissive is what causes a lot of the attacks - other dogs just can't help taking advantage!

And poor Angus, hope he overcomes his experiences.

Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Sometimes even if the dog is on a lead major damage can be done. I just found out this morning from my friend that her Shar-pei was savaged and nearly killed by 2 Akitas.

This man round the corner from us has 2 Akitas and can't control them even on their leads. I often see him being dragged up the road by them and avoid him at all costs. Unfortunately my friend walked round the corner and came face to face with him and his dogs. They pounced on the Shar-pei straightaway, still on their leads, and the man did nothing to stop them.

The shar=pei managed to get out of his collar and I suppose that's what saved his life. He's in a lot of pain and won't let his owner anywhere near him. I suggested she go to the police with photos of her dogs injuries. Se has the address of the man with the Akitas.

Ripsnorter, maybe you could come up to us one weekend to let Isla have a run round with Bryan, he's very friendly and likes to play zoomies
This is part of the reason I refuse to put Isla on the lead when I think a dog is going to be "nasty". I'd far rather she has the opportunity to get away than not and become lead aggressive!

Bryan sounds like the perfect playmate, name the time and date and we're there!

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
This is exactly the sort of irresponsible dog owner who ends up with a badly mauled dog and then will play hell with the other owner whose dog was defending itself

It ticks me off no end when I hear things like this - it has happened to me countless times and people say stuff like "it will have you for breakfast" aiming it at Marius as their little 'darling' is trying to attack him.

It wouldn't be that though if your dog attacked them and they had a huge vet bill to cope with - arrghhhh!!!

Hopefully, you will meet up with some nice dogs and their owners and regain her confidence a bit.
Thanks hun. That's exactly it! It's soooo funny to them, but if the tables were turned they'd have you reported to the Police before you could spit!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2