Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Throwthestick
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2013, 02:05 AM

Living with Multiples

Hi Everyone!

I have a question for those of us out their that share their lives with a higher than "average" number of dogs.

What is the stupidest question that you've ever been asked?

For me it's "How do you live with all those dogs?" How does one answer that? "Very well thank you?" Sometimes I am tempted to say that we all share the closet while the dogs have the run of the rest of the house.

I get a lot of flack for having five dogs - especially for having five house dogs! Sometimes it gets frustrating.

It also seems that it would be more acceptable if they were all little dogs, whats up with that?

Bea & Co.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 06:52 AM
I think it depends entirely on what your living accommodation is and where you are located. I often envy those on here who have lots of dogs when I see their photos - but they are always happy, healthy dogs who are obviously lucky to be where they are.

I'd be wondering about someone who, say, had 5 dogs in a small town apartment (even if they were little dogs!). But wouldn't give a second thought to someone who had 10 or more dogs if they lived on a farm or out in the countryside.

I know of quite a few people here in Cyprus who have 5 or even more dogs because they've rescued them off the streets over the years. And they are now very worried by a new law they are wanting to implement here which will restrict dog ownership island wide.

Apartment - 1 small dog.
House in town - 2 dogs.
House in countryside - 4 dogs.

Personally I think it is outrageous that they should place a limit on how many dogs you should keep in the countryside - some houses are not even within SIGHT of another. If they'd kept it to just one restriction - only one small or medium dog if you live in a SMALL apartment - I'd understand that one.

But if it were not for the problems caused by so many who just leave their dogs outside on verandahs or tied in the yard all day and all night to bark constantly - I guess they wouldn't have come up with the restrictions in the first place.

If you have room in your home and your heart for all your dogs I don't know why you are bothered what other people think.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 06:59 AM
I have 6 dogs which raises eyebrows but most of my friends have multi dog households so it's fairly normal in my circles.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:03 AM
5 here, and i get fed up of the, you've ot your hands full
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:04 AM
My ex's aunt had EIGHTEEN cats! Burmese. They were her life and she spent all her time on them, she bred them and showed them but unless they were being kept apart for a reason when one or two would be in the cat house in the garden, they all lived in the house with her!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
5 here, and i get fed up of the, you've ot your hands full

I could understand someone saying that if you CARRIED THEM AROUND WITH YOU everywhere you went!

Let's face it, it's probably a case of just 'something to say' without thinking. I heard many people say much the same to my sister when she had twins.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Most we have had was 3 but in a flat we had comments. Must say 3 was easier than 1 or 2 I found as they always had a playmate, could walk them singly or all together and they were generally very peaceful bunch. Can't say comments ever bothered me I just used to think how much the commenter was missing out not having several dogs !

Holidays were harder as number of places that let you take 3 dogs was limited but I think these days that has improved ??
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:14 AM
I'd love to have more than one dog but what stops me is the fact that the boarding costs would double when I have to leave them once or twice a year and double airfares doesn't even bear thinking about.

If you have room and can afford to feed them and pay for any medical treatment they need - what's the problem?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I have 7 which seems to amaze most people, they assume I'm a dog walker and when told no they are generally gobsmacked. The huge difference in sizes seems to amuse most people greatly too. Then they assume the Dobermanns are Iains and the Pugs and Frankie are mine, Err we live together they all belong to both of us. They also always talk to Iain about how well trained the Dobermanns are and are generally pretty surprised when he says "She does all the training, I just tag along on walks".
You get all the usual stuff of "you've got your hands full" and "they must cost a fortune to feed" but I take it as it's just them trying to be friendly and don't know what else to say. The other thing is I get offered dogs all the time, they must think I'm some sort of rescue either that or stupid lol.

ETA the boarding costs for this lot are horrendous but hey that's just part of the cost of owning them.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 10:23 AM
I have 4 dogs , there is not a day goes by that I don't get the " you've got your hands full ".
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >