Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Vomiting for second time this month!?

Riley started throwing up early hours again this morning - this is the second time this month he appears to have picked up a bug.

He doesn't drink water on walks but both time it has been a Monday - and we go to agility on a Sunday.
Maybe he's picking something up there?

I really don't want to take him the vet for injection as he's already petrified of having his temperature taken (he wouldn't expose his bum when we went the other day).

Only this time there is no food in his sick, he did eat last at 6pm yesterday and maybe I haven't found more sick yet!

He only has toys when playing with me and I never see him chewing anything but there is little around he could chew on so I doubt it's a blockage.

I did have contact with un-vaccinated dogs Saturday but he didn't and they weren't throwing up. I also had a ferret PTS Sunday but that was a tumour and not one of the ones he interacts with. Nothing stressful going on around the house, well no added stress!

I really don't want to take him vet and get him more scared of going, but guess maybe I should if it's second time this month?

Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 11:58 AM
If it always happens after agility? could he be getting too excited when he goes?
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
If it always happens after agility? could he be getting too excited when he goes?
Maybe ... the only thing that makes me think no is the trainer saying she's never met a dog so relaxed going through tunnel - apparently it gets loads of dogs excited and Riley just strolls through and sits at other end!

I did just think salt - I've been washing his paws but not the fur on his back legs ???
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Possibly, yes.

Possibly, if he does the rest of the agility round excitedly it could be that.

Possibly, he has a food intolerance that builds over time and expels periodically through vomiting.

Lots of possibles so a case of elimination.

Try keeping a diary so that you can note anything and everything out of the ordinary including diet (including treats and any extras he may get), exercise and novel events. If may just provide the key to what's going on
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about Riley, and it could be coincidence with the agility perhaps, don't know. Does he get anything last thing at night, as 6pm is early for the last thing in a stomach to have to go through the whole night.

My vet told me the other week, that a lot happens in the stomach around 2 am (when Zena was suffering from morning acid sickness) and he said 9pm is too early to give her a little something such as biscuits, he wanted me to stretch that to 11pm at night, so I just left a couple of biscuits by her water bowl, knowing that she would eat those when she went for her usual drink around midnight and it seems to have done the trick for us (along with some meds she had too).

Try giving him something as late as possible at night even if it's just a few gravy bones, it gives the stomach something to work with for the long overnight period.

If it continues, maybe start keeping a log of something you do/give him before/after agility the night before, it could show you a pointer somewhere that you're missing.

Salt is not good if he's licking his fur, but having said that, Zena swallows gallons of salt water every other week, every day down on the beach to no ill avail. Is it sea salt you're talking about cos you take him on the beach?

Good luck, hope you don't have to go to the vets with him.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Just an extra thought, does he get a lot of extra treats at agility?
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Possibly, he has a food intolerance that builds over time and expels periodically through vomiting.

Try keeping a diary so that you can note anything and everything out of the ordinary including diet (including treats and any extras he may get), exercise and novel events. If may just provide the key to what's going on
He does have lots of food allergies

The diary is definitely a good idea - thanks!
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Just an extra thought, does he get a lot of extra treats at agility?
No, he has his breakfast.

As he's got so many allergies I just use his food for training - I did use cooked chicken but he started putting on considerable amount of weight
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear about Riley, and it could be coincidence with the agility perhaps, don't know. Does he get anything last thing at night, as 6pm is early for the last thing in a stomach to have to go through the whole night.

My vet told me the other week, that a lot happens in the stomach around 2 am (when Zena was suffering from morning acid sickness) and he said 9pm is too early to give her a little something such as biscuits, he wanted me to stretch that to 11pm at night, so I just left a couple of biscuits by her water bowl, knowing that she would eat those when she went for her usual drink around midnight and it seems to have done the trick for us (along with some meds she had too).

Try giving him something as late as possible at night even if it's just a few gravy bones, it gives the stomach something to work with for the long overnight period.

If it continues, maybe start keeping a log of something you do/give him before/after agility the night before, it could show you a pointer somewhere that you're missing.

Salt is not good if he's licking his fur, but having said that, Zena swallows gallons of salt water every other week, every day down on the beach to no ill avail. Is it sea salt you're talking about cos you take him on the beach?

Good luck, hope you don't have to go to the vets with him.
I was thinking gritting salt - miles away from coast here unfortunately.

6pm was actually the other half of his breakfast (the first half during agility) and he wouldn't eat his tea but that's quite usual I didn't think about it.

A food diary for him would be good - and I guess he does go a while without food over night.
He's so weird with food!
So after our morning run he gets fed about 6am. But won't eat if I am in the kitchen with him. But he also won't eat if I am in shower. Or if I leave house.
Sometimes he just won't eat it and I can do a little training with him and he'll go for rest of food in bowl. Or I do training with him and he'll do everything I ask but will spit out food.

And repeat after evening walk about 8pm.