Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
em.jo.casp
New Member!
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Car sick puppy

Hi. Our Staff Puppy is really car sick. I have another staff but he was never like this. I just wanted some advice. Do you think he will grow out of it or will it stick with him? Is there anything we can do to calm him down in the car or give him before car rides? I really want him to enjoy car rides so wecan take him on short breaks with us and to the beach ect...
thanks
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 08:12 PM
You can buy tablets which can help. Casper was car sick when I first got him and what got him over it was short trips around - I'd often take him in the car for the 2 minutes it took to get to the petshop, just so he got used to short trips, then 10 minute trips to a nearby park, 20 minute trips to group walks we went on, etc. - he now seems to have got over it, we can go 45 minutes to an hour, no problems. We were stuck in a huge M25 jam for 4 hours just before Christmas and he just slept most of the time, not being sick at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Emma where does your puppy travel when in the car. The problem may be caused by motion sickness, if this is the case it can help to prevent a dog looking out of the window by using a crate with a cover . I would also make sure there is some fresh air coming into the car and it doesn't get too hot.
Ginger is good for any kind of nausea , you can buy ginger capsules at health food shops.

If the problem is caused by fear of the car, spending time in the car can help the puppy to associate it with a pleasurable experience. Try feeding/sitting in the car with your puppy. Play games like hiding tasty treats eg pieces of chicken and throw toys and treats in there (I wouldn't let your puppy jump up on the seat until it is an adult).
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I had this problem with one of my dogs when we first got him, partly caused by him getting highly strung about going in the car. The back of the car became a dog playground we practised lifting him in and out the car for treats, not going anywhere, just sat in the back playing and eating high value treats like chicken, cheese, hot dog. When he was no longer stressing about being in the back of the car, we started little journeys, literally a minute or two long, and slowly building up.
Just do a little at a time, also a crate is good, so they feel safe and secure in the back and not moving around too much. He is absolutely fine now, he did a 1,200 mile roadtrip last Summer, no problems. Good luck xx
em.jo.casp
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I think i might try the treat things. I do think he just gets really scared. thanks
em.jo.casp
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi. So today we tried wrapping casper in one of my old dressing gown. It was just meant to keep him from soaking my car seat with his druel which also happens, due to him feeling sick. We found that wrapping him up made him feel safer and he ended up falling asleep there and back. So I think this might be a break through. Hopefully he will come to find that the car is nothing to be scared of, and comes in useful for a good kip. Result
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Brilliant - so glad that seemed to work It is so much easier if they are happy in the car.
wendyg1975
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Hiya!

My staff Archie is 3 now and loves being in the car, but when we first use to take him he was sick everywhere!!! he grew out of it thnk god!!

we found the best thing was not to feed him before we went out.. and to make sure he could see out the window......

it seemed if a quick journey he was fine........ but anything longer than 30 mins and he couldnt deal and was sick alot!!!

when was tiny pup he was not sick, but from about 6 months to about a yhear and a half he was sick evrytlme!!

i sat with him in the car to get him used to it and that calmed him..... now if he doesnt want a drama he sits in the footwell tee hee

but im sure yours will grow out of it too, mine loves having his head out the window now and watching the world go by!
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Crikey, Toffee was sooo carsick as a puppy, she would
also have the runs, I even tried taking her 100yds in the car every day to get to her walk, she'd still blahhed out both ends before we got there! I tried loads of things, nothing worked, then a year on, my friend had to bring her home in her car (long story) & to my surprise she jumped out happy, wagging, no drool. She'd been in the front footwell, so thats where she's been ever since, & she's never been sick again!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Most puppies grow out of it. My girl used to be sick before we had gone a mile in the car when she was a puppy.

A ginger biscuit quarter of an hour before we set off helped a little, but she was a year old before she finally got over it