Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Obsessive licking... people

K so here's one for the experts. I know what SHOULD work, I've tried what SHOULD work. I've been working on this for almost 2 years with Little success... I've even tried adversives, which has worked to a degree... Let me explain.

Mouse gives kisses, lots and LOTS of kisses, constant kisses. Every time she's near your face, and to some extent, hands, she has to lick. All people, strangers and family alike. I've never tolerated it. She settles down on my lap, when on the couch, and is good when we're sleeping (unless she decides it's time to get up, however, she's easily persuaded to go back to sleep). But as soon as she's awake, she's trying to lick

When I first got her I tried the ignore option. Every time she made contact, I put her down and walked away, then tried again... I would pick up, put down, pick up, put down... etc. I could do it 100 times a day, and she would just try to lick as soon as I picked her up.

So then I tried teaching her an alternate attention getting behaviour, a paw touch, and a roll on back wave (very cute) and it slowed down her licking my hands for petting... however, If I don't want to pet her (like now when I'm typing) and she does her paw touch, or roll on back wave, and if I don't immediately respond, she tries to climb up to my face to give kisses. So I put her down, she jumps up and licks at my hands, I move my hands away, and she tries to get to them, or climbs up to my face again... So I put her down and give her the "stay down" command and she goes off to do what Mouse does best (whatever the heck she feels like)

So then I tried clicker training her NOT licking... but as soon as treats appear, she's trying to get the treats, and forgets about licking, so it's not getting the point across.

I got to the point of trying adversives (shame, shame, double shame) I tries flicking her snout (did absolutely NOTHING) so I quit with that... then, I decided to try gently biting her (basically closing my teeth over her snout, not hard enough to hurt) This has a little success, but like all adversives, it has to be done over and over and over... and it's not always practical, like when I'm rolling around on the floor playing and she makes a leap for my head and starts wildly licking, and trust me, it really hurts when you get a "froggy tongue" up the nose! Mouse also has the LONGEST tongue, I've ever seen on a small dog!

She is driving us all nuts! My Mom doesn't even want her to sit on her lap anymore, because it's so annoying. If you hold her snout, she fights you tooth and nail, but will eventually stop fighting, but as soon as you let go, she is licking again.

Anyone have any ideas? keep in mind, Mouse is deaf and blind in one eye, nearsighted in the other... Not that it makes alot of difference, but it may factor into advice. I am not willing to do anything else adversive, as I hate even doing that...

But this is getting ridiculous... She's driving me crazy!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Does no one have any ideas? Darn... I was hoping someone may have an idea I haven't thought of.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:07 PM
You can get some icky strips - where whenever she licks your hand she has a horrible taste...unless they're what you have tried..if not rub something on your skin...lemon is it that they don't like?
Other than that I have no idea - we haven't got to the really bad licking yet...but he's not so obsessive atm..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 01:32 PM
No, sorry Sarah I read it, but don't have any answers I'm afraid. I like my kisses from Zena although she only gives them when asked lol. I'm not too keen on her French ones though, which I get when we're playing on the floor together and I laugh, she tries to get that tongue in my mouth and it's not nice, but apart from that, she's not really a licker, more of a kisser!

Georgie would be like your Mouse if he could, but somebody has somehow taught him not to lick, but don't ask me how! I know he's desperate to lick me, but he seems to know he's not allowed, and opts for my feet only coz he's obviously been allowed to lick there! Good luck with Mouse.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Never had a dog that has been obsessive about kisses, sorry. They've all licked to give a kiss and a lick, and Meg would do it for ages if you let her, but they all stop.

Maybe Orange Oil on your skin? I know if I eat an orange neither the dogs or the cats will come near me, until the orange smell is off my hands.

Hope someone can offer you some advice. x x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Never had a dog that has been obsessive about kisses, sorry. They've all licked to give a kiss and a lick, and Meg would do it for ages if you let her, but they all stop.

Maybe Orange Oil on your skin? I know if I eat an orange neither the dogs or the cats will come near me, until the orange smell is off my hands.

Hope someone can offer you some advice. x x
Thats it - Orange...I was close enough
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I dont think putting anything on my skin will work with the little monster. Especially since I wont be able to put it on other people... Mouse will still try to lick wien I'm wearing bug spray. Mouse really likes oranges... so orange oil is probably a no-go.

I guess we will keep going as we have been.

Thanks for the replies
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Rewinding a little, when you tried the ignoring, how long did you try it for?

Did everyone she lives with do the same?

I'd try first of all putting her down on the floor every time she licks. Not saying anything, just putting her down and making a point of not looking at her. If she jumps back up, let her, but as soon as licks start, put her down on the floor again. Make sure everyone does it and does it for at least a week and see if she improves any.

One point here, if you let her do it even once, she will try harder so it's important to be consistent.

Another way that can work if you don't want to put her down on the floor is to have a newspaper to hand (no not to punish her with). Every time she goes to lick, put the paper between your face and her. Again, every time and with no other interaction.

Consistency really is the key so whatever you try, make sure every member of the household is involved and sticking to it
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 09:01 AM
One of my collies is a licker but it's to lick off hand cream or body lotion which I assume contain some sort of fat that they like. He will stop if I tell him but darts back in for another go if he thinks I'm not looking so he obviously finds it irresistable! I don't let any of mine lick my face as I've seen where they put their noses!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Anyone have any ideas? keep in mind, Mouse is deaf and blind in one eye, nearsighted in the other... Not that it makes alot of difference, but it may factor into advice. I am not willing to do anything else adversive, as I hate even doing that...
But this is getting ridiculous... She's driving me crazy!
Sara, you say her deafness and partial blindness doesn't make a difference, on the contrary I think it makes a huge difference.

As I'm sure I don't need to tell you, dogs are incredibly gregarious creatures, they need and crave company, and how can poor Mouse get that if she can't hear and sees very little.

Just try this little experiment, get yourself a pair of ear defenders and gogles, cover one lens of the gogles with masking tape and spray oil on the other then put both the ear defenders and gogles on and see if you feel 'detached' from reality, I bet you do (I wear ear defenders and gogles in my workshop and after an hour or so I can't wait to get them off)

So Mouse licks a lot, so what, so long as she doesn't lick around your mouth, eyes, or ears what harm is she doing

We have two dogs, one is always licking me, maybe not as much as Mouse but as I've tried to say above I think poor Mouse is living with a terrible burden and needs to know you are there for her when ever you are home. When she is licking you she knows you are there.

We sometimes have people visit our house, once or twice I've seen them look a bit shocked if one of our dogs licks them like they are immediately going to die from some horrible disease

I'm not in a very good mood this morning Sara so I will tell you that I am more afraid of catching something horrible from the humans I have to come into contact with than any dog. This winter my wife has 'picked up' some horrible flu type viruses just from shopping in our local supermarket
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >